Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model 3 Highland or Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know.

When I was car shopping I did a DEEP DIVE on cargo space and here was one key conclusion I arrived at: there is absolutely ZERO consistency in the reporting of storage space with the seats down, on any car. You can find people spewing out numbers, but they vary dramatically, even for the same car.

Overall, most sedans and small SUVs gain a somewhat similar amount of cubic feet when you put the seats down. So in a way the only consistent way to judge is to compare seats-up to seats-up numbers, and then realize that you probably get another 15 cubic feet or so with the seats down.

I read a number of OLDER comparison reviews of cargo space in the Y versus the 3. Most seem to settle on a bit 10% more space in the Y. But those were comparing the old 3 to the Y; the Highland refresh increases cargo space.

Well, Y is supposed to have 64 cu ft total, so they are saying 3 has trunk of 19 cu ft which becomes over 50 cu ft with rear seat folded down?

Well, Y is supposed to have 64 cu ft total, so they are saying 3 has trunk of 19 cu ft which becomes over 50 cu ft with rear seat folded down?

Tesla says that with 5 passengers:
  • the 2024 Model Y has 34.3 cu ft of storage space
  • the 2024 Model 3 has 24.1 cu ft of storage space
So the Y has 10 more cu ft of cargo space while carrying the same passengers.
If you take the rear passengers out of the car and fold down the seats, I don’t think that 10 cu ft difference is going to change much. The space those passengers are sitting in is fairly similar in both cars. MAYBE the Y gets 1-2 more cu ft, but that’s all.

So…my best guess (and it’s just a guess) is that relative to that at 64 cu ft number, the new 3 probably has 50–54 cu ft.

I’ll repeat what I said earlier in this thread. The Y has a HUGE amount of storage space. The Porsche Macan has only 17 cu ft of storage space with 5 passengers, meaning the Y has DOUBLE that…But the model 3 still has 50% more than the Macan.

Again, there’s no doubt: the Y is BIGGER. But I still say that the 3 has an incredibly amount of storage space, more than a lot of larger sedans and mid-size SUV’s on the market.

Thought I'd update everyone here.
My wife and I took the M3H RWD out today. I was surprised how playful it is. The car was more composed and quiet over bumps and non-perfect roads over the '24 Y we had a few weeks ago. The M3H is very fun. Like a go-kart sort of way. Trunk space was pretty decent. We live about 10mins from the Tesla Sales Centre so we just drove home to perform "storage tests". It swallowed up 3 carry-on suitcases. Honestly I didn't care for the rear screen. I feel it is a fragile device waiting to be cracked. Interior was well put together. Quality is certainly nicer than the Y for sure. Everywhere the fingers land are met with soft touches and neat textures.
The indicator buttons do need some getting used to. My wife and I kept flicking our fingers at the phantom stalk. You folks are correct, it has a higher fun factor vs. the larger Y. Where the Y was solid and composed, the 3 added a dose of playfulness. My wife who was preferred the Y has now changed her thoughts. She's now saying, let's keep the BMW wagon for utilitarian duties and drive the 3 for dailies.

I really wasn't prepared by how much fun the M3H is.

Thought I'd update everyone here.
My wife and I took the M3H RWD out today. I was surprised how playful it is. The car was more composed and quiet over bumps and non-perfect roads over the '24 Y we had a few weeks ago. The M3H is very fun. Like a go-kart sort of way. Trunk space was pretty decent. We live about 10mins from the Tesla Sales Centre so we just drove home to perform "storage tests". It swallowed up 3 carry-on suitcases. Honestly I didn't care for the rear screen. I feel it is a fragile device waiting to be cracked. Interior was well put together. Quality is certainly nicer than the Y for sure. Everywhere the fingers land are met with soft touches and neat textures.
The indicator buttons do need some getting used to. My wife and I kept flicking our fingers at the phantom stalk. You folks are correct, it has a higher fun factor vs. the larger Y. Where the Y was solid and composed, the 3 added a dose of playfulness. My wife who was preferred the Y has now changed her thoughts. She's now saying, let's keep the BMW wagon for utilitarian duties and drive the 3 for dailies.

I really wasn't prepared by how much fun the M3H is.
being in canada i imagine you have snow too? the Y's ground clearance may be another + for it (i even added the 1.75" MPP lift kit and bigger tires for a 9" total ground clearance)

if you dont need to drive in the snow and can road trip with the BMW then i would go for the 3

Not so much in Vancouver, BC. Pacific Northwest gets more rain and grey skies. The city grinds to a halt if there's some dusting. Anything over an inch the region issues top work order. LOL!
BMW wagon is AWD with winters. Working from home gives us many options. :)

Reactions: gt2690b
Not so much in Vancouver, BC. Pacific Northwest gets more rain and grey skies. The city grinds to a halt if there's some dusting. Anything over an inch the region issues top work order. LOL!
BMW wagon is AWD with winters. Working from home gives us many options. :)
I will add even a 3 with a cargo roof box could be a road trip warrior and likely similar to a Y in efficiency

• Informative
Reactions: Dear_OP
Here's a cargo space comparison for 2020.

"According to owner's manuals from both EVs, the Model 3 has 15 cubic feet of trunk space, while the Model Y can swallow 68 cubes of total cargo space. "

"Typically, with its rear seats folded down, the Model 3 can hold 24 27x11x6-inch boxes. The volume of each box is about 1 cubic foot."

"However, the Model 3 with rear seats has almost comparable cargo capacity, not as bad as those numbers from the owner's manuals suggest."

Another cargo space comparison for 2023:

"The Model 3 offers 22.9 cubic feet of cargo capacity with five people in the car, a fair bit behind the Model Y's 34.3-cubic-foot volume."

Last edited:
Here's a cargo space comparison for 2020.

"According to owner's manuals from both EVs, the Model 3 has 15 cubic feet of trunk space, while the Model Y can swallow 68 cubes of total cargo space. "

"Typically, with its rear seats folded down, the Model 3 can hold 24 27x11x6-inch boxes. The volume of each box is about 1 cubic foot."

"However, the Model 3 with rear seats has almost comparable cargo capacity, not as bad as those numbers from the owner's manuals suggest."

Another cargo space comparison for 2023:

"The Model 3 offers 22.9 cubic feet of cargo capacity with five people in the car, a fair bit behind the Model Y's 34.3-cubic-foot volume."
Cubic feet is one measurement but the Model Y can accommodate much taller and bulkier items in the cargo area. I have a very large Segway scooter that fits perfectly in the Model Y but there’s no way I could get it into my Model 3.

Cubic feet is one measurement but the Model Y can accommodate much taller and bulkier items in the cargo area. I have a very large Segway scooter that fits perfectly in the Model Y but there’s no way I could get it into my Model 3.

Totally agree but Model 3 has it's surprise too. Last month, I packed some stuff to my friend's house. It was amazing how much stuff you can fit with the rear seat down. That rear deck makes you think you have less space. I do wish they modify the Model 3 into a hatch back... maybe that'd be the Model 2. I opted for the Model 3, in part, because of the width and length. Also, Model 3 RWD was the only one with LFP battery.

Also, to Alcatel bulky items in the Model 3, just get the roof rack.

Last edited:
It's pretty straight forward. If space and cargo are important, then the choice really is the Y. The sedan trunk format is not great when you have bulky stuff to load. Nothing new here.
For me, I have a BMW wagon that can perform cargo hauling. If need be, I can hook a trailer/cargo basket to its hitch.

Other factors like driving experience, interior comfort, dynamics, efficiencies, refreshed vs old design etc.... those are less obvious I think.

I don’t know.

When I was car shopping I did a DEEP DIVE on cargo space and here was one key conclusion I arrived at: there is absolutely ZERO consistency in the reporting of storage space with the seats down, on any car. You can find people spewing out numbers, but they vary dramatically, even for the same car.

Overall, most sedans and small SUVs gain a somewhat similar amount of cubic feet when you put the seats down. So in a way the only consistent way to judge is to compare seats-up to seats-up numbers, and then realize that you probably get another 15 cubic feet or so with the seats down.

I read a number of OLDER comparison reviews of cargo space in the Y versus the 3. Most seem to settle on a bit 10% more space in the Y. But those were comparing the old 3 to the Y; the Highland refresh increases cargo space.
I did a bit of research comparing the cargo space on the Model 3 and Y 2 years ago. With the seats folded down, the most reliable numbers I found showed the Model 3 as having 53 cubic feet and the Model Y as having 68 cubic feet. These numbers include the frunk as well. According to Tesla, the new Model 3 has about 1 cubic foot more cargo space than the old 3. For a small to medium sized sedan, the 3 is exceedingly roomy, roomier than most small SUVs, and even many medium size SUVs. I don't think the number of cubic feet is where the Y has the big advantage over the 3 however; it's how those cubic feet are made available. Due to the seating positions, there's way more knee and foot room in the Y; 4 6 footers are quite comfortable in the Y while they're a little bit cramped in the 3. And being a hatchback, the Y can swallow much larger boxes than the 3.

Reactions: eevee-fan