Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Kia EV6 GT has been for sale for almost a year now, is a crossover, and is slower than the current M3P.
The Ioniq N is on the same platform as the EV6 and won't be here until a year from now. All we know is HP, and it will never handle as well as a Model 3.
The Ioniq 6 Limited already exists as a 320HP crossover for $52K.
How are any of these things delaying Tesla?

Kia EV6 GT is slower than a M3P? It's only slightly slower 0-60 but after 60mph it leaves the M3P behind. It's a 121/122mph trapping vehicle compared to 117/118 on the M3P. And they have the same heavy wheel problem the M3P's do, which means you can swap out those heavy wheels with lighter weight ones and run even faster. Many owners already done this and are running better than M3P times. You run into those on the street with your stock M3P you're going to find out real quick who is slower.

Reactions: EVolv3d
Many owners already done this and are running better than M3P times.
Heavily debated that it's wheel weight, but agree you can run an 11.3 in a M3P:

I personally am not concerned with a new M3P's ability to beat someone on the street in a highly illegal and dangerous drag race to 120 MPH. I much prefer lap times, and the Kia is 700 lbs heavier so it will never be as good as a M3P on a track, even if it might be a touch quicker in a straight line.

Track mode in the M3P is about everything except drag racing.

Heavily debated that it's wheel weight, but agree you can run an 11.3 in a M3P:

I personally am not concerned with a new M3P's ability to beat someone on the street in a highly illegal and dangerous drag race to 120 MPH. I much prefer lap times, and the Kia is 700 lbs heavier so it will never be as good as a M3P on a track, even if it might be a touch quicker in a straight line.

Track mode in the M3P is about everything except drag racing.

Ah I see, you're referring to tracking the car. I don't think any SUV or crossover are going to be good track vehicles. But for me and many others, drag racing numbers are more relevant because it directly translates what you can do at the dragstrip (or stoplight or highway). In this aspect the EV6 GT is definitely not "slower", and I really hope the new M3P has some performance improvement to the 60-120 acceleration speed.

Ah I see, you're referring to tracking the car. I don't think any SUV or crossover are going to be good track vehicles.
Yeah, we've all basically been talking about tracking the car and pointing out the other cars are crossovers and thus irrelevant to a new M3P:

an optional track package with barely legal track focused tires, improved brakes/pads/liquid but not necessarily carbon. ceramic, and lighter/wider wheels.
it should also have increased cooling capacity to allow "qualifying laps" with zero power loss.
With track package it should be the best Tesla in the track. not necessarily as fast as the plaid on the ring, but very competitive on slower tracks and more playful/fun to drive

I wonder if Tesla decided to postpone a little bit the announcement of the Model 3 Performance
to add aditional improvments, such as suspension or larger brakes

The MSPlaid must be reserved for the top Nuremberg rocket ship performer

Oh, so now I can tell you only care about drag racing, yet others are talking about brakes and suspension.

The new MP3 will be faster than some crossovers that are already slower than the current M3P, but they're delaying the new M3P so they can beat a slower crossover?

The MYP just beat a Durango Heallcat and it was just not a drag race, right turn half way

Yeah, we've all basically been talking about tracking the car and pointing out the other cars are crossovers and thus irrelevant to a new M3P:
I read the whole thing and the discussion veered into new highland performance speculation (nothing about tracking) and you come out and say the other new EVs are slower. If you meant tracking, you should mention that specifically.

I'm not the only one here who's interested in straight line performance either. I would very much like to have a M3P that doesn't "run out of breath" after 60 mph and these new EV's from Kia and BMW are basically outdating the current M3P. So hopefully that's why Tesla is rumored to be increasing the performance in one way or another in the new P, to keep up with the competition.

BTW nothing wrong with "stoplight wars" or quick highway pulls. This is what most people do more often than track on a daily basis.

and you come out and say the other new EVs are slower.
No, I responded to this:
I wonder if Tesla decided to postpone a little bit the announcement of the Model 3 Performance
to add aditional improvments, such as suspension or larger brakes, following the announcement
of the Hyundai Ioniq N and Kia EV6 GT models, and also the $125k Hyundai Ioniq 6 Limited.
Only the EV6 GT is faster, and by 0.2 seconds in a full quarter mile, yet slower in 0-60, and went on sale a year ago. My point is Tesla is not delaying their new M3P so they can tweak it to be faster than the recent announcement of a car. This becomes even more true when you realize the M3P and EV6 don't really compete, the MYP and EV6 do.

BTW nothing wrong with "stoplight wars" or quick highway pulls. This is what most people do more often than track on a daily basis.
Ahh, good old Florida man strikes again ;) Are you saying Florida has no demonstration of speed or speeding laws? ;) (316.191)

I point this out because it shows why Tesla focuses so much on 0-60 times. Because normal customers won't accelerate above 75 MPH, and Tesla isn't trying to sell a Halo car, they already have the Plaid. They are trying to sell a mass market car with a highly profitable performance option that 20% of people will buy. 0-60 sells that car, and even after 5 years, the M3P still is quicker 0-60 than the EV6 or the i4 M50. Mission accomplished.

Anyway, the only point here is that as much as we wish it's true, Tesla is not suddenly shaking in their boots because of recent announcements and re-thinking the M3P and what performance it needs. Despite how much I want a quicker car just as much as everyone in this thread.

No, I responded to this:

Only the EV6 GT is faster, and by 0.2 seconds in a full quarter mile, yet slower in 0-60, and went on sale a year ago. My point is Tesla is not delaying their new M3P so they can tweak it to be faster than the recent announcement of a car. This becomes even more true when you realize the M3P and EV6 don't really compete, the MYP and EV6 do.

Ahh, good old Florida man strikes again ;) Are you saying Florida has no demonstration of speed or speeding laws? ;) (316.191)

I point this out because it shows why Tesla focuses so much on 0-60 times. Because normal customers won't accelerate above 75 MPH, and Tesla isn't trying to sell a Halo car, they already have the Plaid. They are trying to sell a mass market car with a highly profitable performance option that 20% of people will buy. 0-60 sells that car, and even after 5 years, the M3P still is quicker 0-60 than the EV6 or the i4 M50. Mission accomplished.

Anyway, the only point here is that as much as we wish it's true, Tesla is not suddenly shaking in their boots because of recent announcements and re-thinking the M3P and what performance it needs. Despite how much I want a quicker car just as much as everyone in this thread.

It's not just Kia, or BMW, there's that pesky Dodge Charger EV also coming out that's going to aim for marketshare as well. The M3P has some stiff competition already and more to come. It's foolish for Tesla to think maintaining the status quo on the M3P is going to do well for them in the next year or two. Comparing the EV6 to the MYP is even worse, because the MYP is even slower and the cost difference shrinks. And the funny thing is, Tesla doesn't even need to change the 0-60 on the M3P, it's fine as is.... it's the top end acceleration it needs to improve. So while 0-60 is good for marketing, the public isn't stupid and knows a slightly slower 0-60 traded for a much stronger top end is a more than good trade off. Nothing is more frustrating than pressing the pedal to pass a car on the highway on M3P only to find it barely accelerates faster than a standard honda civic 😥

Adding this additional power doesn't make it a halo car. Just like the new RS3 or Mustang GT is not a halo car (both tunable and will smoke a M3P on the highway, as with the BMW i4 M50 and Kia EV6 GT).

Lastly, yes there are perks to driving in Florida.... generous speed limits on the highway (which there are plenty of) included. 😁

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
No, I responded to this:

True to some extent. I had an M3P and now have an RS3. I frankly am looking forward to going back to an EV. Not because I don't love the RS3 but because I don't love $60 of gas a week. I do think Tesla needs to up their game IF they want to stay relevant in this category. Maybe they don't. I'm not one to go past 75 MPH but the significance in which the M3P loses performance at 60mph is franky quire remarkable. It's like it completely runs out of juice. Improvement is needed for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger and MODEL+
EV6 GT might be slightly quicker at highly-illegal speeds, but on the road in most situations, it's gonna get left behind for several seconds...

Take a look at the 30-50 mph and 50-70 mph intervals:

Tested: 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance Hits 60 in 3.1 Seconds

Tested: The 2023 Kia EV6 GT Scrambles Brand Perceptions

The new Model 3 Performance should be quicker than the latest BMW M3 and MB C63 AMG, which are the new straight-line performance bogeys in the category: BMW M3 Competition xDrive Delivers Supercar Performance.

The new Model 3 Performance should be quicker than the latest BMW M3 and MB C63 AMG, which are the new straight-line performance bogeys in the category:
$85K-$130K for a M3 that requires you to use launch control to get to 2.8 seconds, vs a M3P that most buyers can get for about $47K. They are not "in the category." You can get a Plaid for $86K and go 2.0 seconds if you wanna win street drag races.

Tesla does not have an M division. It took BMW, Mercedes, and even Hyundai decades to start dedicated performance divisions that sell low volume, super profit cars. We're just going to be disappointed if we think that Tesla is going to make the new M3P some sort of all-around benchmark in the super sedan space.

Tesla's only ever figured out how to makes 4 car models at the same time! Meanwhile BMW has about 30 fundamentally different cars for sale. It takes a while to get there and be able to sell stuff like M/AMG/N.

Just this weekend I test drove an EV6 and asked the dealer about the GT. He said they never get them and they don't sell since the seats are small and it's way to race car for that kind of car. There are 150 EV6's in stock within 50 miles of me and 12 are GT's. Meanwhile if you drive in CA, every 4th Model 3/Y is a Performance. This is way more profitable business model for Tesla. Charge $5K more for some performance instead of $40K more for a bit more than that. Your take rate will be way higher than 8X on the cheaper option.

Last edited:
I'm gonna bet that the new Model 3 Performance will be quicker/faster than the comparable German sedans despite the price delta, just like it was when the original was introduced.
As much as I want that to be true, the fact that they made zero drivetrain changes to the non-performance M3's gives me no reason to believe they poured a bunch of money into the M3P at all, much less focusing on beating other cars above 60 MPH.

I think the best case scenario is that the M3P could always do 2.9 seconds 0-60, and they unlock that in software. Double bonus dream points is they allow current M3P owners to unlock that for $3000.

As much as I want that to be true, the fact that they made zero drivetrain changes to the non-performance M3's gives me no reason to believe they poured a bunch of money into the M3P at all, much less focusing on beating other cars above 60 MPH.

I think the best case scenario is that the M3P could always do 2.9 seconds 0-60, and they unlock that in software. Double bonus dream points is they allow current M3P owners to unlock that for $3000.

But if there are no drivetrain changes to the M3P, why wouldn't the highland version be released along with the non-performance?

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Kia EV6 GT is slower than a M3P? It's only slightly slower 0-60 but after 60mph it leaves the M3P behind. It's a 121/122mph trapping vehicle compared to 117/118 on the M3P. And they have the same heavy wheel problem the M3P's do, which means you can swap out those heavy wheels with lighter weight ones and run even faster. Many owners already done this and are running better than M3P times. You run into those on the street with your stock M3P you're going to find out real quick who is slower.

Based on this video the latest M3P (Pirelli P7) still beats the EV6 GT (Goodyear F1). I'd argue if the Tesla had Michelin PS4S tires it'd probably a hair faster as well. Wider tires on the GT at 255/40R21 vs 235/35R20.

EV6 GT started 83% and ended at 76%.
M3P started at 83% and ended at 78%.

For reference, at least in my 2018 M3P, motor power starts dropping at 90% SOC, but above 90% it's the same level of power.

Last edited:
But if there are no drivetrain changes to the M3P, why wouldn't the highland version be released along with the non-performance?
No highland has been released in the USA at all, so we can't say that it won't be released in the USA at the same time.
It's a good question, but it could be as simple as qualification of the car with different brakes and tires. Back in 2018 the Performance version didn't come out on the same day as the AWD either, despite those AWD cars coming with performance motors, so there could be other reasons that a different config takes a bit longer.
It could also just be marketing. Extending out your release news to stay in the news cycle as long as possible is valuable.

$85K-$130K for a M3 that requires you to use launch control to get to 2.8 seconds, vs a M3P that most buyers can get for about $47K. They are not "in the category." You can get a Plaid for $86K and go 2.0 seconds if you wanna win street drag races.

Tesla does not have an M division. It took BMW, Mercedes, and even Hyundai decades to start dedicated performance divisions that sell low volume, super profit cars. We're just going to be disappointed if we think that Tesla is going to make the new M3P some sort of all-around benchmark in the super sedan space.

Tesla's only ever figured out how to makes 4 car models at the same time! Meanwhile BMW has about 30 fundamentally different cars for sale. It takes a while to get there and be able to sell stuff like M/AMG/N.

Just this weekend I test drove an EV6 and asked the dealer about the GT. He said they never get them and they don't sell since the seats are small and it's way to race car for that kind of car. There are 150 EV6's in stock within 50 miles of me and 12 are GT's. Meanwhile if you drive in CA, every 4th Model 3/Y is a Performance. This is way more profitable business model for Tesla. Charge $5K more for some performance instead of $40K more for a bit more than that. Your take rate will be way higher than 8X on the cheaper option.
Back when the M3P was released Elon famously proclaimed it was an M3 killer. They don't have a M division but they succeeded in building a pretty freaking good performance sedan. And track mode is silly good. I don't know whether Tesla wants to compete in this space anymore and I guess that's what we need to see. They may leave performance EVs to the Germans.