Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1000073233.jpg
This is the power curve of the Model 3 Ludicrous.

On a cell level, there's 4,416 cells in the pack so each one needs to pump about 100W, or 30A. That's a lot of strain for a pack expected to have a long life.

Reactions: Sellout
The only question is, how to extract that extra power from the current Panasonic pack. I am still puzzled about your 448kW screenshots as you are really the only source were I've seen these high numbers. Every other car I know caps at 435kW, although the BMS max discharge states 462kW as the absolute max.

That is something I doubt, as to my knowledge the 4D1 performance cars use the 840A inverter, which tops at 269kW.
In all fairness I only got 448 KW once. The car was about 8 months old and I only had about 6000 miles on it. Battery degradation was minimal back then. That was also with absolutely perfect battery optimization. 100% SOC and perfect temperatures.

I had 461 KW for max discharge at that point. That was the only time I ever made a pass with that high a max discharge value. That pass was an 11.27 without any interior weight reductions. It just had lighter 18” wheels and nothing else.

My recent passes top out at 436 KW for max combined realtime power. Degradation seems to have taken it down a notch but it is still pretty quick.

IMG_2868.png

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
In all fairness I only got 448 KW once. The car was about 8 months old and I only had about 6000 miles on it. Battery degradation was minimal back then. That was also with absolutely perfect battery optimization. 100% SOC and perfect temperatures.
Sure. The cars I have tested usually come straight from delivery, then SUV V3 to 100% and then to the Autobahn, which is 300m away. Wire winding cars with 3D1 in the back would go to 435kW and hairpin cars with 3D6 in the back to just below 430kW. As full and warm as they will go.

I've wondered for the difference to BMS max discharge for a while, as the LG Performance will hit that exact number and the Panasonic just won't, but then it makes sense to limit the Panasonic on a market that also has the LG as competition. The US doesn't, so that is my only logical explanation, but I would like to see other cars perform above 435-436kW as well. Your current numbers look like what I've come to expect from these cars.

Sure. The cars I have tested usually come straight from delivery, then SUV V3 to 100% and then to the Autobahn, which is 300m away. Wire winding cars with 3D1 in the back would go to 435kW and hairpin cars with 3D6 in the back to just below 430kW. As full and warm as they will go.

I've wondered for the difference to BMS max discharge for a while, as the LG Performance will hit that exact number and the Panasonic just won't, but then it makes sense to limit the Panasonic on a market that also has the LG as competition. The US doesn't, so that is my only logical explanation, but I would like to see other cars perform above 435-436kW as well. Your current numbers look like what I've come to expect from these cars.
I wonder if the Ludicrous Model 3 will be much less sensitive to battery temperature? Maybe they will find a better way to get high max discharge values without heating the battery so much? That alone would be a big improvement.

I wonder if the Ludicrous Model 3 will be much less sensitive to battery temperature? Maybe they will find a better way to get high max discharge values without heating the battery so much? That alone would be a big improvement.
I don't think there's anything that can be done in that respect. What would be nice is adjustable preheating so you could set SOC and battery temp for a departure time.

That is something I doubt, as to my knowledge the 4D1 performance cars use the 840A inverter, which tops at 269kW.
What is the peak current and power that the front motor will allow? Even my very best run had a 266 KW peak rear motor value. However, I have seen right at 200 KW consistently for the front motor. Is that more than the MIC inverters should allow?

I wonder if the US based front inverters are different from everywhere else. It seems like the US cars pull really hard with the front motors.

What is the peak current and power that the front motor will allow?
  • Front 3D3 is always limited to 335V x 630A = 211kW
  • Rear 3D1 is always limited to 320V x 840A = 269kW
This a run of my Q4/2020 Refresh 2021 M3P with 3D3/3D1,
  • Front 203kW
  • Rear 267kW
  • Max Combined 435kW
As you see, this is not unique to US cars, but it looks like Tesla not making a difference there.

1709836622753.png

This is a race against the current 100% stock Model 3 Performance. These numbers look completely reasonable to me.
A EU spec M3P 2021 with Panasonic completely stock with a cold pack and not at 100% does 11.7-11.8s on the 1/4 mile. There are countless of these runs on the carwow Youtube Channel.

A friend of mine has the 2022 M3P with LG pack. So he is 20kW down on power to the Panasonic, but with 18" wheels and stiffer springs did 11.5s 1/4 on a proper 1/4 strip with official printout and everything. A similarly prepped 2021/2022 M3P with Panasonic should be able to do 11.3-11.4s then.

Being blessed with public unrestricted Autobahn I only value 100-200kph times ;-)

• Front 3D3 is always limited to 335V x 630A = 211kW
  • Rear 3D1 is always limited to 320V x 840A = 269kW
This a run of my Q4/2020 Refresh 2021 M3P with 3D3/3D1,
  • Front 203kW
  • Rear 267kW
  • Max Combined 435kW
As you see, this is not unique to US cars, but it looks like Tesla not making a difference there.

View attachment 1025573

A EU spec M3P 2021 with Panasonic completely stock with a cold pack and not at 100% does 11.7-11.8s on the 1/4 mile. There are countless of these runs on the carwow Youtube Channel.

A friend of mine has the 2022 M3P with LG pack. So he is 20kW down on power to the Panasonic, but with 18" wheels and stiffer springs did 11.5s 1/4 on a proper 1/4 strip with official printout and everything. A similarly prepped 2021/2022 M3P with Panasonic should be able to do 11.3-11.4s then.

Being blessed with public unrestricted Autobahn I only value 100-200kph times ;-)
I guess I am confused then. Where does the 158 KW front motor spec come from in this post?

IMG_2884.png

This is my best time with a 100% stock 2022 Model 3 Performance. This is with about 94% SOC but good battery temperatures.

IMG_2885.png

I guess I am confused then. Where does the 158 KW front motor spec come from in this post?
It is confusing indeed, but let me explain...

Tesla, when registering their cars in Europe, need to file different power levels for their cars with the authorities.

Some figures are published in the way that they are printed into the certification documents, which are then handed out to the customers. This is also the power that insurances are basing their calculations on.

• Model 3 Performance with any Panasonic 2019-2022 and any rear motor (3D1/3D6) is always rated at 158kW Front Power + 219kW Rear Power = 378kW Total Power.
  • Model 3 Performance with LG battery pack 2022-2023 always comes with the 3D6 in the rear, but it is rated 158kW Front + 235kW Rear = 393kW
Now you would look at those papers and think, oh well the newer car that comes with the LG pack must be stronger/faster. Though in reality it isn't, which I have proven here and which is elaborated by countless user reports who switched from Panasonic to LG:

Now, what Tesla' needs to report to the authorities, but isn't released to the public are absolute limits, operating voltages, torque and power figures at different motor rpm and so on...
  • Performance Motors = 3D1/3D6 = 320V Operating Voltage x Current Limit 840A = 269kW
  • Base Motors = 3D5/3D7 = 335V Operating Voltage x Current Limit 655A = 220kW
  • New Performance Motor 4D2 = 320V (Performance Operating Voltage) x 950A = 304kW
There is lots of more data and I am filling Google Sheets tables with it to keep the overview. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to give you guys context like this.

Although...weirdly Tesla claims lower power and torque figures in the US, when I compare my EPA Tables with those from the EU authorities.

Also, Tesla won't explain why they go above their claimed motor limits like when a 378kW M3P pushes 435kW in CANBUS. These numbers are too far apart to be expected losses in during conversion and drive train.

Tesla, when registering their cars in Europe, need to file different power levels for their cars with the authorities.

Also, Tesla won't explain why they go above their claimed motor limits like when a 378kW M3P pushes 435kW in CANBUS. These numbers are too far apart to be expected losses in during conversion and drive train.

in some markets they also report the 30min average power.

so its possible that what they report as apparent peak power, is actually 1min peak power, or some other lower sustained value.

i tried digging through some govt docs but havent found anything official.

Attachments

• IMG_5354.jpeg
    IMG_5354.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Informative
Reactions: Tiger and mpgxsvcd