Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that's your basis, you're wrong. These calculators are generic and don't take into account the real power and torque curves that electric vehicles have.

Also it's clear you've never rolled race before. When I had my Hellcat it was always etiquette for 60 rolls to go up 140 or even 160. That was the point of 60 rolls, to take away traction issues from digs and 20. Considering high HP cars trap way more than 120 (mine trapped 140 modded) it's absurd to just stop at 120, that would be just a couple of seconds. 40 rolls were the main standard but even then we never stopped at 120.

In every single race on youtube the Tesla Model 3 P gets destroyed at 60 rolls and it becomes a slaughter after 120. The tesla always has the instant jump because of instant torque, but then seconds later gets walked hard.

I also have my own experience coming from a 10 speed automatic Mustang GT that just had an E85 tune and headers, and let me tell you I always drove on the street with street drag radials and hitting the gas pedal from 60 snapped my head back harder than my current Model 3 performance does (of course the opposite was true from a redlight lol).
So wait, a tuned car on drag radials and E85 is faster than an M3P?!? No way!!!

And. 700+HP Hellcat is faster than a 500HP M3P?? No way!!
/S

The amount of time people spend setting up scenarios where high-HP RWD cars DON’T lose races to stock EVs is the truly funny part.

What does it matter how long it takes to heat the battery? Are you doing 130 mph out of your driveway? Hit the button when you get in and by the time you get to the interstate the battery is warm.

Honestly, it seems delusional to me that people insist on being able to do 130 mph on city streets every chance they get.
I think the point is that you don't want to warm up the batteries every time you are going to take the highway. I don't intend to do pulls every time, but when someone wants to play I want to have all the power the car can deliver. Think that's the point @terranx would like to make. Hitting the the sports button is instant change....heating up the battery isn't.

It shows the Mustang passing the M3P at about 125 mph, just as I said.

What's also interesting is the pass doesn't happen until the cars have traveled well more than 1/4 mile, so again, unless roll-racing at 3 am in "Mexico", the M3P will be ahead.
But that’s not a 60-120. It’s a 0- 1/2 mile. Notice it shows the mustang trapping at a higher speed despite the 1/4 mile being slightly slower. That means it’s making up the ground it lost at the 0-60. It’s not granular enough to show, but the 60-120 is likely faster, and we know from published numbers that a 60-130 is faster.

In any case as posted above, real cars with real numbers would be much more useful than a glorified calculator.

But that’s not a 60-120. It’s a 0- 1/2 mile. Notice it shows the mustang trapping at a higher speed despite the 1/4 mile being slightly slower. That means it’s making up the ground it lost at the 0-60. It’s not granular enough to show, but the 60-120 is likely faster, and we know from published numbers that a 60-130 is faster.

In any case as posted above, real cars with real numbers would be much more useful than a glorified calculator.
Look again - it’s 60mph to 1/2 mile, and the M3P is ahead for most of the run.

Reactions: Lindenwood
My mistake.

Doesn’t change that you’re using a glorified calculator to make your claim instead of real cars or published numbers.
Hey, if you have verified test results that refute the 60-120 mph claim I made, please by all means post them.

Even funnier, even if the race were 1/2 mile from a dig, the Mustang never catches the M3P.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
Hey, if you have verified test results that refute the 60-120 mph claim I made, please by all means post them.

60-120 is hard to prove because no one publishes that number specifically, which I suspect is why you picked it. In any case, every other above 60 measurement shows the model 3 as losing ground. So burden of proof is on you.

But really, who the **** cares. Both cars are slow.

Even funnier, even if the race were 1/2 mile from a dig, the Mustang never catches the M3P.
At 120 the Model 3 Performance is REALLY out of breath and just a sitting duck to be walked. The V8's just keep pulling at that speed.

60-120 is hard to prove because no one publishes that number specifically, which I suspect is why you picked it. In any case, every other above 60 measurement shows the model 3 as losing ground. So burden of proof is on you.

But really, who the **** cares. Both cars are slow.

The M3P is quicker to every increment up to 120 mph, and well past 1/4 mile unless the race begins at >70 mph.

I'll take that every day and twice on Sunday, regardless of what happens above 125 mph...

At 120 the Model 3 Performance is REALLY out of breath and just a sitting duck to be walked. The V8's just keep pulling at that speed.

Thank you for proving my point. (creating races so that the V-8 RWD doesn't lose).

Would you like to compare dig/drag race results? I start from stoplights multiple times every day.

The last time I was over 120 mph on the street was literally MONTHS ago.

Thank you for proving my point. (creating races so that the V-8 RWD doesn't lose).

Would you like to compare dig/drag race results? I start from stoplights multiple times every day.

The last time I was over 120 mph on the street was literally MONTHS ago.

You haven't proven anything. Well, except you're not a racer....which you've admitted to. Everyone knows the M3P has weak acceleration beyond 60mph, and gets trampled on the highway by other cars. Everyone it seems....except you, who is a self admitted non racer trying to make racer arguments. You don't even know what a proper roll race is. You think it's just 60-120 lol. You even said you don't drive on the highway, so why are you arguing? You don't partake in these events and have no experience, all you do is run to an online calculator. And my video shows just how powerful a V8 roars past a M3P (and long before 120 depending on the mods) once you're in roll racing territory. And there's many others too all over youtube will all types of cars be it Mustangs, Corvettes, M3's, etc...

So again, who are you trying to convince? Certainly not people like me, who actually have experience street racing from prior cars and know how a M3P performs from 60.

Reactions: momo3605
(moderator note)

So...

I am going to put my moderator hat on, and "suggest" (with my moderator hat on and all that implies of the "suggestion") that the discussion turn back to speculating about the features or performance of this vehicle and away from street racing exhibitions.

(moderator note)

So...

I am going to put my moderator hat on, and "suggest" (with my moderator hat on and all that implies of the "suggestion") that the discussion turn back to speculating about the features or performance of this vehicle and away from street racing exhibitions.
Thanks moderator, I come here to read about the NEW Model 3 Performance, not about drag races or quarter mile times of the older one.

How is everyone planning to get notified about the release of new Performance version? Trying to find a more sane way than checking twitter or this forum rather frequently.

I want to place an order as soon as possible to minimize delivery time. The wife has begun bugging me that we should just get the LR since it's available now (definitely has ventilated seats). I just keep telling her "2 weeks" and it's working so far...

How is everyone planning to get notified about the release of new Performance version? Trying to find a more sane way than checking twitter or this forum rather frequently.

I want to place an order as soon as possible to minimize delivery time. The wife has begun bugging me that we should just get the LR since it's available now (definitely has ventilated seats). I just keep telling her "2 weeks" and it's working so far...
I've got changedetection.io checking the UK Model 3 order page. You can self host this which I'm doing so it costs me nothing.

I'll have to maybe order soon also, I'd kick myself if I don't know exactly what this is but also if it doesn't have ventilated seats I'll probably be going LR also. Hope the acceleration boost at least comes back soon.

Reactions: spennnyy

I'm in same exact situation as you!