Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that makes it useless for an actual measurement. Of course you're going to throw the most optimistic conditions possible to please your ego and have a nicer looking number.

Even Tesla which uses every trick in the book to make their cars sound better than they are doesn't resort to quoting 0-60s downhill.

Track slips and dragy runs have been acceptable forums of proof for times on just about every auto forum I have been on. Insinuating that they are faked, when there is no reason to believe so, I am considering a personal attack since there is no reason to do so.

Believe whatever you want to believe, but since I am considering basically calling someone a liar despite their proof that is generally acceptable in these circumstances a personal attack, I am shutting that part of this discussion down.

Ok - have read the 180+ pages of this thread and all the minutiae of potential details to support or refute potential performance of new M3L….eagerly been waiting for the big reveal like everyone else.
But as I see it, Elon’s MO would be to just use simple numerology for marketing 0-60 claims.
M3.ludicrous will be 2.9s, and future M3.plaid will be 2.5s.
Simple as that … settled (until proved wrong)😎

Reactions: terranx and Adam3
Nobody has run 10s with the current Model 3 Performance yet. Are you sure it wasn't a Model S or perhaps they were testing the Model 3 Ludicrous? Did you get any videos of it?

11.17 is the best 1/4 mile time so far with a Model 3 Performance. That is pretty far from 10s considering that was with 210 lbs of weight reduction. Not a lot more you can do without cutting out metal sections from the car.
1000075747.jpg

Not sure if they ever ran a 1/4 mile on this car but fairly sure it would run 10s.

Coil overs, 18s and a carbon seat would round out the package nicely. It probably picked up some extra drag riding so high.

I hope someone tries this with the new 3L...

View attachment 1038227
Not sure if they ever ran a 1/4 mile on this car but fairly sure it would run 10s.

Coil overs, 18s and a carbon seat would round out the package nicely. It probably picked up some extra drag riding so high.

I hope someone tries this with the new 3L...
I haven’t seen any updates on it. It is definitely really quick but it isn’t aerodynamic anymore so high speed acceleration will be even worse.

I have a feeling that stickier tires will be more necessary for a Model 3 Ludicrous. I don’t know how much weight reductions will help it as compared to the current Model 3 Performance that is limited on power.

While you all talk rubbish about 0-60 of this and that with wild hopes and dreams ;)... You're missing real news like the car will be 9mm lower than the other Model 3 Highlands. And more importantly you'll be able to tow a jet ski.

Anyone have any details which markets might the optional Model 3 tow hitch be available for?

Any possibility for the US market finally?
Was the UK the only market the Model 3 Tesla OEM hitch and trailer module was previously release?

• Informative
Reactions: Gasaraki
View attachment 1038227

I dunno- aero would be pretty terrible...

Seriously though- when they did this with a Model S they ended up needing to add body covering back after stripping it made the car slower-

Then had to add even more on- making a whole fake/light body-

Anyone have any details which markets might the optional Model 3 tow hitch be available for?

Any possibility for the US market finally?
Was the UK the only market the Model 3 Tesla OEM hitch and trailer module was previously release?
If I understood correctly, you were asking if Tesla oem hitch was available outside UK? At least here in Northern Europe it (tow bar) was possible to configure when ordering the car but only for the LR. Sadly, trailer hitch isn’t a thing over here.

My speculation, which would also be my minimum to upgrade is 2.7 0-60 and 10.8 quarter mile. I'm expecting significant 60-130 improvement as well (at least 2 full seconds quicker). Anything better than that and I'll upgrade as soon as I get to break even for a trade in with my '23 M3P, so it would be a couple years. By then any kinks should be worked out and specs may be even better. If they can't make my arbitrary standards then I'll likely keep mine for quite some time as I prefer wheel stocks and still quite like the look.

Reactions: Lindenwood
…So there is an artificial limit, that Tesla can raise.

1713011875627.png
This is a great picture. The artificial limits have been known for a long time. They are called max_torque and max_power and are firmware settings. max_torque determines that initial slope on the left. max_power determines the height of the curve.

Each motor has its own max_power and there is a combined max_power. Also the battery has a max_power.

Why does the curve slope down after the peak? Motor Back EMF. This is a natural limit of the motor. The carbon wrapped windings in the Plaid reduce that greatly. Hopefully you will see those windings, and their corresponding flat curve taper, in the new Highland Performance 3.

If you look at the equivalent picture above for power over time or power over rpm for the older S/X cars, you’ll notice a flat spot on top. That is where the battery max_power kicked in before the motor limits. The 3 components were better matched, meaning more efficiently designed for manufacturing costs. Tesla matches the OEM tires to these settings as well so that in most conditions the car is not traction limited.

Tesla cryptographically locks the max_torque and max_power both for reliability but also to price differentiate the cars. Remember how Tesla could “upgrade” your early 3LR to a 3P before delivery if it had the 980 motor? And remember how old 75Ds and 100Ds got “uncorked”? max_torque and max_power.

/end old man rant

Last edited:
The carbon wrapped windings in the Plaid reduce that greatly. Hopefully you will see those windings, and their corresponding flat curve taper, in the new Highland Performance 3.
That ship has already sailed I'm afraid. The 4D2 is based on the 4D1 and uses the same rotor. Verified by comparing rotor inertia masses of the two.

If I understood correctly, you were asking if Tesla oem hitch was available outside UK? At least here in Northern Europe it (tow bar) was possible to configure when ordering the car but only for the LR. Sadly, trailer hitch isn’t a thing over here.
Just curious if anything has changed on that front, as the post references the optional tow hitch on the unreleased M3L
>M3L optional #TowHitch (500kg + 25kg vert.)

Hoping that would mean a US factory supported hitch and ancillary equipment might finally be available in the US for the Model 3, and to extend that idea, maybe a US Spec trailer module with the US Spec connector and specific required output configuration might become available ?

Also wondering separately, did Any other markets outside of the UK have factory trailer support for the Model 3?
Have not read of any feedback beyond the UK Model 3 trailer support , so thought I would include that in to hopefully learn a bit more detail on the topic.

Just curious if anything has changed on that front, as the post references the optional tow hitch on the unreleased M3L
>M3L optional #TowHitch (500kg + 25kg vert.)

Hoping that would mean a US factory supported hitch and ancillary equipment might finally be available in the US for the Model 3, and to extend that idea, maybe a US Spec trailer module with the US Spec connector and specific required output configuration might become available ?

Also wondering separately, did Any other markets outside of the UK have factory trailer support for the Model 3?
Have not read of any feedback beyond the UK Model 3 trailer support , so thought I would include that in to hopefully learn a bit more detail on the topic.

Its not available on US spec non performance Highland vehicles (factory tow hitch). I am not sure of the reason, but factory tow hitch was not an option on any version of model 3 previously in the US, and its not available on highland model 3s now.

It seems very very unlikely that a factory tow hitch would be available on just the performance version of the model 3 here and not the other ones so I wouldnt expect it on US versions of the car.