Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a little sceptical of reviews - either good or bad - I like to hear whats changed but then wait for more real world experience which doesn't help @FastLaneJB at all. These press days are on certain roads which are generally ideal for the car, get it on a pot holed country road and it might be dreadful, or of course it might be great, They also invite journos over, woo them with goodies and in the evenings food and drink (any one rememebr the clip of Matt Watson ordering a Cybertruck whilst drunk whilst out there on that launch?), make them feel special, they can film the footage, quote a briefing pack (even if its wrong) and get the youtube ready for when the embargo drops.

Reactions: phil4
They did, along with reverting to 'standard' ride height. It's still firm and not all that comfortable at slow speeds. Probably the single reason I would be interested in the '24 M3P when/if they put a better battery pack in it.
We've got a 23 M3P and it's a nice improvement over the original suspension but indeed still not amazing. It's the seats that I think that save it, being really soft in the base helps nicely.

The Highland SR/LR though moves this game along quite a bit and I'm happy with what they've done there. Similarly the performance of the LR is still really pretty quick, it felt like it builds slightly into it vs being fully on it like a Performance is which is probably why the 0-60 is slower. I can guess with Acceleration Boost that could be quite a sweet spot but I just feel like it won't come back as many probably felt that way and it lowered their Performance model sales.

I do think moving from passive dampers, the new Performance could actually ride better than a LR at least maybe the 19inch one, hard to know if it can beat an 18inch LR with 20's. It'll have more pull at higher speeds but it's a road car so not sure that matters, nor does the higher top end speed.

As I've not tracked our current Performance but have driven it down some twisty roads and never quite felt disappointed from the lack of seat bolstering. I can of course see that as a benefit but it's not adjustable where as I've only had cars like that where the bolsters could be adjusted to fit your frame properly. Their one size fits all might not be something that works for me.

I am thinking I'll just fire on the LR at this point. I'd love to see someone like Tesla Bjorn do some proper tests, get the real efficiency, a view of the comfort vs the LR, etc. Just won't happen in time for me.

I could always go Performance and return it if it isn't what I hope for but then back to no car waiting for another shipment to get a LR probably. I see in the US they have them in show rooms already but not in the UK that I know of so cannot go and just sit in one to know for sure what the seats are like.

Reactions: milesr3
Indeed but seeing as I don’t have a car right now I don’t want to wait longer, need to get an order in.
Get a stop gap car?

9.6% APR ought to be enough to put most people off. If you buy outright the car is probably going to lose as much if not more in depreciation. I feel like Tesla will offer an incentive on the car within 3 months, maybe as early as the end of May (end of quarter push).

No offence to anyone who buys a M3HP now, but everything is stacked against you right now.

I've recalibrated my purchasing decision to be more towards the end of the year. I'm expecting a mid-cyc;e refresh and incentives, and lower finance rates. Right now the only positive factor is that you'll have it early, everything else feels like a downside.

OK so I've ordered a Long Range in Ultra Red / Black Interior with the normal 18 inch wheels.

At least I know what I'm getting with the LR. The seats are comfortable for my body, I've less pothole risk on 18's and the range is significantly better. I like my fast cars for sure but the LR is quick enough really though I'll be straight on the Acceleration Boost if it ever comes back.

I can revisit this in 1.5 years when my wife's lease is up. I'll probably give her this LR and by then the Performance might have a new battery that is what it probably needs to really unleash all its power properly. Or just bring it back to what is in the US even. I can also see what happens with the Model Y Juniper also by that point.

I'm buying it outright in cash so the stupidly high APR won't matter, if I was having to suffer that I'd probably have second thoughts on going for a Model 3. If you aren't in a rush I'd wait as gut tells me price and / or APR will drop in the not too distant future.

Get a stop gap car?

9.6% APR ought to be enough to put most people off. If you buy outright the car is probably going to lose as much if not more in depreciation. I feel like Tesla will offer an incentive on the car within 3 months, maybe as early as the end of May (end of quarter push).

No offence to anyone who buys a M3HP now, but everything is stacked against you right now.

I've recalibrated my purchasing decision to be more towards the end of the year. I'm expecting a mid-cyc;e refresh and incentives, and lower finance rates. Right now the only positive factor is that you'll have it early, everything else feels like a downside.
This is my stop gap car or maybe not if nothing that takes my fancy comes along for a good while. It's the cheapest car I've brought for a very long time and frankly the depreciation on this even if it's a lot in comparison to the purchase price will be nothing compared to the depreciation I've had on more expensive cars or even interest payments on larger sums of money. Paying cash will save me a lot vs a 9.6% APR.

I do agree with you though, if I didn't need a car sooner (We manage with one car but it's a pain) I'd be waiting also. Now I can wait out and see where the car market goes if I want with what is still a very nice and capable EV with a great charging network. If having two EV's sucks, in 1.5 years I can give to the misses and get a ICE or PHEV for myself. If it works, maybe sit back and wait for the next big battery tech to finally get here. Seeing as some semi solid state batteries are kind of shipping, it does feel like maybe in next few years we might have some longer range / faster charging packs. Tesla will have to keep their packs reasonably current to stay in the game. Even if they do have some of the best efficiency on their side at the moment, others will slowly but surely catch up on that.

I don’t disagree and I’m in that boat although my new PCP APR is 8.6%. Problem I have is my 3P value is dropping by the second. Tesla valued my car a month ago at £24,500, about the same as WBAC.com. Today WBAC.com is £18,000 that’s a loss of £6,500 in 30 days - the car has just been sitting in the garage. My current order has 15,000 loyalty points = 9000 free miles of driving. That bonus goes next week so that’s a grand or two lost. The press don’t think interest rates will come down before Aug, Sept or even later and if they drop by even 1 whole percent it’s not going to make that much difference. If Tesla dropped to say 6-7% again the drop isn't huge.

I’m not sure I am making the right decision purchasing a Highland right now but I’ve kind of run out of options. My PCP has ended and I’m on a HP extension at the moment so I can no longer return the car. My only other option is to extend the HP for up to 18 months but who knows if I will be better of worse off then vs now 😵‍💫

My current order has 15,000 loyalty points = 9000 free miles of driving. That bonus goes next week so that’s a grand or two lost.
Can I assume you need to user public chargers a lot to charge your car? For home charging at cheap rate I calc that 9000 miles of driving only works out as £200 ish.

Sorry, I probably shouldn’t be challenging another man’s man maths.

Reactions: btc1k
That’s serious depreciation
When I bought mine outright in '22 the PCP quote had an optional final payment of £22k. I was sure it could never depreciate to this level in four years. It's now 2 years old. WBAC (comedy) valuation is £25k. WhatCar Private/Part-ex £27k. Tesla's last valuation was less than WBAC.

Unless they start giving away M3Ps out of the goodness of their heart, I'm sticking with mine for another two years rather than lose another £36k.

Get a stop gap car?

Absolutely this....

I'm extending the lease on the current LR on a rolling basis until the incentives pop up... which they will.

Reactions: Durzel
I don’t disagree and I’m in that boat although my new PCP APR is 8.6%. Problem I have is my 3P value is dropping by the second. Tesla valued my car a month ago at £24,500, about the same as WBAC.com. Today WBAC.com is £18,000 that’s a loss of £6,500 in 30 days - the car has just been sitting in the garage. My current order has 15,000 loyalty points = 9000 free miles of driving. That bonus goes next week so that’s a grand or two lost. The press don’t think interest rates will come down before Aug, Sept or even later and if they drop by even 1 whole percent it’s not going to make that much difference. If Tesla dropped to say 6-7% again the drop isn't huge.

I’m not sure I am making the right decision purchasing a Highland right now but I’ve kind of run out of options. My PCP has ended and I’m on a HP extension at the moment so I can no longer return the car. My only other option is to extend the HP for up to 18 months but who knows if I will be better of worse off then vs now 😵‍💫
Do the referral points land in your account once the order is placed, or when you take delivery?

If they land when order is placed - you can delay delivery

if they land when you take delivery - the referral scheme will have changed by then as earliest delivery is May/Jun