Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery for me was early April 2018. As of last week my car wasn't approved for the HWD upgrade but they ok'd scheduling my 2 year ownership service with the expectation by end of March it should be.

I had an April Dedham Delivery too. We've been playing the game, but they haven't cancelled me for next week yet. Yet...

Just in time, every month my entire autopilot stack goes out with at lights, no stability control, no aeb, no hold, no regen.

I’m growing a bit concerned. Got an appointment scheduled for this Monday. I haven’t received any confirmation for my appointment yet. Should I expect some kind of communication from them at least verifying my appointment?

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
I’m growing a bit concerned. Got an appointment scheduled for this Monday. I haven’t received any confirmation for my appointment yet. Should I expect some kind of communication from them at least verifying my appointment?

well they did confirm that we had appointment however they did more talking confirm once we got there. However, our car has been there since Tuesday, and has NOT moved at all. Tyson is SOOOOO backed up and bad it’s ridiculous. And our other model 3 has to go in next Tuesday for suspension and braking popping. Which will be issue because if they have done the first car of ours no way I’m going to be completely car free home. This Uber credit thing is getting out hand. They could simply use all of these 2012-2014 model S when traded in for loaners. Just a thought. But they do need to fix this issue because for as much as these cars cost and specially the S/X they should be giving loaners. Even more so when the turn around times are 3+ days. Sorry when off on rant. I do feel slightly better now lol

Sorry to hear they haven't started on your car yet. What kind of completion estimate did they give you when you dropped off your car ?
They said Wednesday, so next day by end of day. But it’s Tesla so I was expecting today early to go and get it. But it hasn’t moved at all. Someone else on here or maybe the FB group complain of the same issues in VA with Tyson Tesla.

I will say this. Each time they pushed it back they did text about it. Which is good. But they need to figure out something because if you could see the lot there it’s CRAZYYY

I’m about 2400 miles away from going out of warranty (50k) so I want to get some of the applicable TSBs done so I put in a service request to do those and asked about HW3 and it was available. So Tuesday 2/18 will get it done.

Same here, although I have a few more miles left on my warranty. Will be out of warranty by summer tho. Glad to get HW3 before the warranty runs out.

Reactions: Thunder7ga
made a service appointment via app for HW3,
when human eyes reviewed it, changed to service
center appointment...

san diego mirimar in @ 09:00 done @ 15:00
serviced chare point pin bulletin while in shop!

tech said they are running timing competition
for HW3 installations to reward and improve
the process.

no issues, setting were preserved, everything works!

I had in the past, and recently on Twitter, read some posts that mobile service would eventually be installing HW3 on Model3. Has anyone seen/heard anything about this?

The 3 hour drive to a service center (each way) is something I’d like to try to avoid.

I had in the past, and recently on Twitter, read some posts that mobile service would eventually be installing HW3 on Model3. Has anyone seen/heard anything about this?

The 3 hour drive to a service center (each way) is something I’d like to try to avoid.
The ride home though, you’ll be able to see stoplights. So there’s that.

Was it mentioned whether the competition was within that specific SC or between different SCs ?

I didn't think to ask, but I do know my rep was excited at
the install team in his shop, and it is possible it would
reward the whole service center? who knows, I related
this as to tesla knowing they need vast improvement
in the new portions of service, and I think this showed
true commitment to getting service up to industry standards?

Of course if you already have an appointment might as well enquire about it. However, my comment was about booking appointments for the sole reason of a HW3 upgrade.

This is such a bizarre stance when it appears that opening a service request is exactly what we have to do to get this completed. I did it, and so have most of the other posters in this thread that have gotten the upgrade.

This is such a bizarre stance when it appears that opening a service request is exactly what we have to do to get this completed. I did it, and so have most of the other posters in this thread that have gotten the upgrade.
You need to read my previous comments for this to make sense or it does sound bizarre.
MASTER THREAD: Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues
And this one
MASTER THREAD: Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

i’m replying to this comment MASTER THREAD: Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

• Disagree
Reactions: chinnam3
I was going to wait until contacted, but with all these posts of later purchasers getting their updates has prompted me to try the appointment request. (Serial 34,xxx July 2018)

Update: That worked. Got the text back a few minutes later that I am eligible and the appointment has been moved to the 21st at the service center.

Last edited:
It seems that the complete lack of communication by Tesla to its customers continues to hold true. Is it really that difficult to email/call/message via carrier pigeon, etc., owners regarding their eligibility for HW3 upgrades? Reading through the threads I haven’t come across any instance where the SC contacted a customer proactively.