Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an issue with my M3's cellular connection and after doing a remote diagnostic, Tesla told me I had to bring it in because the computer needed to be replaced. This was Dec 2019. They kept the car for 2 days and when they were done I had HW version 3.0. So I guess I got lucky. FYI, I did not have FSD at that time so that did not impact their decision to upgrade my hardware.

Had an 8am appointment today at the Roswell / Alpharetta location in Atlanta - was in my car by 11am. Only thing done was HW3 - the guy that gave me back my keycard remarked that they are getting much faster - first one was over 5 hours.

Just FYI this is what my final invoice said. I’m going to pick it up tomorrow AM, fingers crossed everything came out good. I really wish the Tesla app would automatically save your service invoices for your records.

Attachments

• 3870E401-874F-4B11-92A1-FA461F70DB6C.jpeg
    3870E401-874F-4B11-92A1-FA461F70DB6C.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 116
Here is another data point for the HW3 Retrofit. Model 3 LR AWD, VIN 099xxx, Chicago area. Scheduled on a Friday for service on Wednesday, however car was not returned until the following Monday.

Details: Using the app, I initially had to schedule it as a mobile service, but within a few minutes I received a text notifying me that it would be performed at the local Tesla Service center. I asked for the winter brake service and the HW3 retrofit. They added two items to the list: applying the "dual motor" badge, and charger pin replacement.
I dropped the car off at 8am Wednesday and was supposed to get it back by 3pm the same day, but there was a complication which delayed my car's return until the following Monday! During the computer replacement they broke a bolt and then noticed a crack in a bracket behind the passenger airbag. They gave me a Model S as a loaner, ordered a replacement part called a "cross car beam" which arrived on Monday and completed the repair early that afternoon. As others have noted, I had to drive about 15 min or so to finish calibrating Autopilot, I had to pair my phone again, and reconnect to my WiFi; the rest of my settings were unchanged.

The delay in repair wasn't ideal, but I came away satisfied because 1) they explained everything to me in person, 2) they were responsive within the same day to my questions by text, 3) they gave me a loaner vehicle, and 4) they reduced the price of my winter brake service by 50% for my trouble. I adore this car and am thrilled to have it back. Seeing cones on the road is a neat feature, but I anticipate more exciting things to come on the road to FSD.

Just FYI this is what my final invoice said. I’m going to pick it up tomorrow AM, fingers crossed everything came out good. I really wish the Tesla app would automatically save your service invoices for your records.
Interesting difference between ours..I know earlier VINs require the electrical wiring upgrade, but mine has an additional line item. CAR_COMPUTER_VISOR, ASSM. Edit** after looking up on the parts catalog, it appears to be the similar to the housing for the 3.0 Computer
F31E55C1-5CC6-4C4B-8BD2-F22E50637B71.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jsrawa
Interesting difference between ours..I know earlier VINs require the electrical wiring upgrade, but mine has an additional line item. CAR_COMPUTER_VISOR, ASSM. Edit** after looking up on the parts catalog, it appears to be the similar to the housing for the 3.0 ComputerView attachment 520120

There must be some cut off for the electrical wiring rework, for reference I took delivery in December 2018. Curious that they also replaced the additional part on yours.

Yay I received my retrofit! Tesla isn't exactly proactive in contacting you, but my latest request was gold.

120k VIN, I asked in Jan but got declined saying they would contact me when my group is selected. Come March I contacted them again and got the go ahead.

I took the car to a new M3 and MY service center in Santa Ana CA. Took pretty much the whole day, but had them work on other stuff as well.

Picked up my 3 today after a long weekend install of HW3 following my request through the Tesla app for retrofit, I dropped it off Friday and from the activity in the Tesla app I don’t think they even touched it until Monday which was ok because I had a loaner S which was appreciated. Overall I think it’s impressive what the car can see. That being said I lost all my settings, lifetime stats, etc but somehow slacker seems to remember my favorites? Must be stored on slackers end I suppose. Basically it was like I picked up a brand new car.

Overall I was slightly disappointed with the service, they added a few superficial scratches to the dash and didn’t bother to charge my car for me even though it sat for a day after being done. The other SC I have visited automatically charges it and it would have been nice as I had over an hour drive home and coasted in with barely any charge. Also slightly disappointed I lost my lifetime stats but it is what it is I suppose.

They said they have one tech dedicated to the HW3 retrofit and he does 4-5/day staggering them by installing one while the other ones firmware loads and so on.

Last edited:
My MR was upgraded yesterday (156xxx vin). I made the appointment via the Tesla app two weeks ago. The swap took 3 hours to complete from drop off to notification via the Tesla app it was done. Only other work done at the same time was replacement of the cabin air filters. The console was torn apart anyway, so I figured it was worth them doing. There was no labor charged for the filter swap, only parts and tax.
Only settings lost were Bluetooth and WiFi. Also the car is now complaining about my usb drive used for Teslacam. Says it needs a drive that can write at 4mb/s which mine is definitely capable of, so that is annoying.
Had to turn on FSD visualizations to see all the new eye candy.
It seems like my rear view camera is now in HD compared to before HW3. Not sure if this is computer related or something else.

Overall the Watertown MA service center was great and they said they were doing 10 swaps a day and had become very fast at doing them.

Reactions: hcdavis3
4) they reduced the price of my winter brake service by 50% for my trouble. I adore this car and am thrilled to have it back. Seeing cones on the road is a neat feature, but I anticipate more exciting things to come on the road to FSD.

Glad you got everything done! May I ask, what's the 'winter brake service?

Mine is a Feb 2019 build, although that’s the estimate. Tomorrow is the service date! Will check the final bill to see if it’s still there.

Have the exact same quote as you.. July 2018 Build. Wonder where the 'cutoff' is...

Dropped my car off this morning for the HW3 upgrade at Devon, PA. I never saw so many Tesla's in one location (first visit to a SC). As far as I know, no other work is to be done.

I was prepared to camp out for the day and wait for the upgrade to be finished but they gave me a loaner and sent me on my way. They said it could take up to 24 hrs to complete the upgrade. It took me more than an hour to get there this morning so I`m guessing I will not see the car until tomorrow or they would have let me wait. Oh well!

So far the SC experience has been somewhat antiseptic... signed in at the kiosk and the only human contact was when someone came out to get my keycard and give me a keycard for the Model 3 loaner. I`Il be interested to see what the experience is like when I pick up car.

Well that couldn’t have gone more smoothly. Brought the car in today, and they were done within an an hour and fifteen minutes. MN service center in Maplewood. There were 3 of us in the lobby waiting for them to do it. I feel bad for those that took forever.

I should note, it’s a Feb 2019 build, 199K VIN.

I too lost WiFi and Bluetooth settings, but also got reverted back to 2020.4.1, when I had just downloaded 2020.8.1 yesterday. Anyone else get reverted?

Last edited:
Huh- I would say answers ranging from "the very next day" to "not till the very last minute" is a surprising amount of variance- but given it's Tesla I suppose not :)

I put in my request Wednesday (for an appointment about a week out- guess our SC isn't that busy?), got automatic email about it, and automated text, but nothing further yet.

Was originally gonna wait longer as they've busted through several revisions of HW3 and later's usually better, but with Elon claiming there's actually real FSD features finally coming by end of month figured I'd try and get it done, even though new features almost routinely suck for a while.

So quick follow-up.

I got the automated text and email immediately after making the appointment March 4th....

I got a follow-up text Monday March 9th to remind me of my March 12th appointment.

I got a follow-up text Wednesday March 11th (in the morning) to remind me of my March 12th appointment.

(through all this the appointment remained listed in the app-never got any invoice email though)

Now I just got a follow-up text Wednesday March 11th (evening) saying sorry, we have no parts. Try again next month.

When I went back to the app there's no sign of my original appointment so I had to reenter everything for a new one instead of just being able to change the date on the existing request.

So quick follow-up.

I got the automated text and email immediately after making the appointment March 4th....

I got a follow-up text Monday March 9th to remind me of my March 12th appointment.

I got a follow-up text Wednesday March 11th (in the morning) to remind me of my March 12th appointment.

(through all this the appointment remained listed in the app-never got any invoice email though)

Now I just got a follow-up text Wednesday March 11th (evening) saying sorry, we have no parts. Try again next month.

When I went back to the app there's no sign of my original appointment so I had to reenter everything for a new one instead of just being able to change the date on the existing request.

I tried to schedule today and received a quick reply that the part is not currently available.