Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a scheduled appt to swap wheels and tires and decided to ask in the notes of the mobile app about the HW3 upgrade. They never said anything about it, I just got the invoice for the service appt scheduled tomorrow and it's listed on there.

The line item shows it as a retrofit without electrical wiring rework. I wonder if early on they were changing harnesses and more of the wiring? Possibly just adding some adapters now to shorten the time needed?

View attachment 561349

My 2018 required electrical rework. I think the older 3s required some kind of electrical harness upgrade. I lost all my data and lifetime stats, they said there was no saving it for me, I assume it may be related.

My 2018 required electrical rework. I think the older 3s required some kind of electrical harness upgrade. I lost all my data and lifetime stats, they said there was no saving it for me, I assume it may be related.

Mine is also an 18 and also needed the electrical rework- but I didn't lose that stuff.

Seems to vary mainly by who does the work.

Mine is also an 18 and also needed the electrical rework- but I didn't lose that stuff.

Seems to vary mainly by who does the work.

Mines a Dec 2018 model, took delivery Jan 2019. So late 2018+, might be the difference.

Tesla is a joke.
After paying 6/7/8000 for pretty much non-existent functionality called FSD - which right now amounts to automatic lane change - I cannot even get an appt to upgrade my hardware to v.3.0.

How many months/years has been 3.0 available now??
How long does it take to get a replacement board? Another 2 years??

Without that - no street lights and stop signs, no self-driving, nothing. I guess Tesla was all too happy to take my $$ 18 months ago. Not so prompt when it's time to deliver a fix.

I got my HW3 upgrade yesterday at the Alpharetta, GA SC. It took them about 3 hours to do it along with one other thing. Now, the bad news: I get in the car and every setting and profile is gone. I go back in and tell them and they take it around to "try and reload the profiles." Shortly they come out and tell me that they couldn't recover anything because "the copy on the server is bad. Sorry, there is nothing we can do..."

So, I spent the rest of the day rebuilding everything from my Homelink profiles to my audio and webpage presets. Color me not happy...

BTW, I can not turn on Stoplights, etc. because it says it needs a map update first. However, the map shows up to date and the current version. I guess I'll give it a few days and see if it catches up.

I got my HW3 upgrade yesterday at the Alpharetta, GA SC. It took them about 3 hours to do it along with one other thing. Now, the bad news: I get in the car and every setting and profile is gone. I go back in and tell them and they take it around to "try and reload the profiles." Shortly they come out and tell me that they couldn't recover anything because "the copy on the server is bad. Sorry, there is nothing we can do..."

So, I spent the rest of the day rebuilding everything from my Homelink profiles to my audio and webpage presets. Color me not happy...

BTW, I can not turn on Stoplights, etc. because it says it needs a map update first. However, the map shows up to date and the current version. I guess I'll give it a few days and see if it catches up.

It took mine overnight to allow me the traffic and stoplight stuff. I drove more than 20 miles and nothing. Overnight for some reason helped.

Out of curiosity, why did you use the service center? I had the mobile service do it in my garage in Brookhaven/Chamblee on Friday morning while I drank coffee in the house and tried not to bug him too much. I might have failed in that regard though. ;-)

The advantage of mobile in the future is that you get direct contact with the technician. In fact, he had me back out of the garage to confirm Homelink worked before he left.

Regarding the other stuff. I did not lose settings and was able to turn new features on after 24 hrs.

So reading the posts here seems to say that there's quite the variety of experiences (customers and service technicians) concerning the HW3 upgrade. Early on it was said that mobile service could not do the upgrade; now it seems that here-and-there it's being offered. It couldn't be done outside a service center because of the cooling and/or electrical system additions/changes that were needed but my mobile service upgrade had both involved. Some people have lost some or all of their settings; my upgrade only "lost" the WiFI and Netflix login credentials, which is to be expected. Prior to the upgrade process starting, I had asked my technician about not losing any of my settings and he said that he would backup whatever data was required and download it into the new hardware. The fact that other people here have said they didn't lose anything either says it's not an impossible task. I don't buy the story that @TomT was given from his GA service center when they said that the data "on the server" was bad. Occam's Razor would say that they didn't backup the data in the first place OR forgot to re-program the data before it was deleted (if indeed that's what they are actually doing).

I guess what is NOT expected is that Tesla Service has still not standardized this upgrade across all service centers and mobile service. If I read all of the posts correctly, HW3 absolutely requires the cooling system change, while there's two electrical possibilities; with or without electrical wiring re-work. That's still only two different repair procedures for the Model 3. Is there something that I'm missing?

Reactions: camthehombre
Super excited that I was able to schedule a mobile service for my HW3 upgrade. Super annoyed that it got cancelled and rescheduled as a service center visit. I have no interest in taking my car into a service center in the middle of coronapocalypse. Hopefully San Diego area will get its techs trained to do this as mobile service in the near future since it's clearly possible.

Super excited that I was able to schedule a mobile service for my HW3 upgrade. Super annoyed that it got cancelled and rescheduled as a service center visit. I have no interest in taking my car into a service center in the middle of coronapocalypse. Hopefully San Diego area will get its techs trained to do this as mobile service in the near future since it's clearly possible.

Well - you should count yourself lucky.
I tried to schedule it as a service center appt - and it got cancelled. No explanation.
(I wouldn't care if it's mobile service or service center - as long as it gets done).
Also - it wasn't like they said - we don't have parts, we can do it in 2 months or something. That would have been Ok. It was just F.U. - cancelled, period.

I'll wait few more months. If I get pi$$ed enough - I'll file a local small claims court against Tesla and collect back $5K of the $6K I paid for "full self-driving".

OK, I've read through a majority of the thread and seen some wildly different timeframes for getting the hardware installed. Looks like towards the beginning it took longer to get the parts and get them installed. I'm curious what people have had to wait if they ordered over the last 3 months or so? Also, has anyone who ordered during the sale right before July 1st gotten HW3 installed yet or even a scheduled date for install? I was told 2 weeks and just checked and they said parts still aren't there. I figured they wouldn't be, but still wanted to check in case I got lucky.

Well - you should count yourself lucky.
I tried to schedule it as a service center appt - and it got cancelled. No explanation.
(I wouldn't care if it's mobile service or service center - as long as it gets done).
Also - it wasn't like they said - we don't have parts, we can do it in 2 months or something. That would have been Ok. It was just F.U. - cancelled, period.

I'll wait few more months. If I get pi$$ed enough - I'll file a local small claims court against Tesla and collect back $5K of the $6K I paid for "full self-driving".

Ok - I'll admit I was wrong here.
Tesla did contact me after all and scheduled mobile service to upgrade to HW3.

They did make the initial experience pretty infuriating. The original appt I scheduled was cancelled with no explanation. Attempts to talk to somebody over phone led to nowhere - telling me how to schedule another appt (which I expected would be cancelled again). They took several days before contacting me - and in the meantime I was sure I was getting nowhere. Anyway - am satisfied now, waiting for the service.

Hey, I just mine done in Princeton yesterday. Cameras are recalibrated, updated navigation data is downloading now. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Seems like the Princeton SC is a tad better than the Cherry Hill SC. I found it hard when I bought the car to get in touch with service. Here at the Princeton SC I had no issues with someone from service picking up the phone.

I guess what is NOT expected is that Tesla Service has still not standardized this upgrade across all service centers and mobile service. If I read all of the posts correctly, HW3 absolutely requires the cooling system change, while there's two electrical possibilities; with or without electrical wiring re-work. That's still only two different repair procedures for the Model 3. Is there something that I'm missing?
Pre Aug 2018 model 3s need electrical rework and post Aug 2018 is plug n play. Also, my experience was similar to yours; all my settings were backed up and preserved by the technician. I have a May 2018 build. Anyone getting the upgrade make sure to ask the technician to back up their settings.

Pre Aug 2018 model 3s need electrical rework and post Aug 2018 is plug n play. Also, my experience was similar to yours; all my settings were backed up and preserved by the technician. I have a May 2018 build. Anyone getting the upgrade make sure to ask the technician to back up their settings.

I have a June 2019 build. I didn't remind them to backup anything but they must have anyway. All my settings were there after the retrofit. Just had to re-establish pairing with the phone, no mean feat!

I have an April 2018 build and got my paperwork for this upcoming Monday and it mentions the electrical rework needing to be done. Hopefully settings and preferences are transferred over for me. Not the end of the world if it isn't though.
How long has the process taken for everyone? I've heard an hour to multiple days but I'm not sure if those longer ones have been S/X or not.

I have an April 2018 build and got my paperwork for this upcoming Monday and it mentions the electrical rework needing to be done. Hopefully settings and preferences are transferred over for me. Not the end of the world if it isn't though.
How long has the process taken for everyone? I've heard an hour to multiple days but I'm not sure if those longer ones have been S/X or not.

4 or 5 hours the other day.

Ken

• Informative