Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped it off at 9:30 am this morning. They were unable to complete all the work in one day. I'm also getting the charging pin bulletin performed. They estimated 8am tomorrow. We'll see. They do need to figure a way to replace these computers quicker to keep their costs down IMO.

Dropped it off at 9:30 am this morning. They were unable to complete all the work in one day. I'm also getting the charging pin bulletin performed. They estimated 8am tomorrow. We'll see. They do need to figure a way to replace these computers quicker to keep their costs down IMO.

Slow part is the coolant flush on M3. Doesn't tie up a tech though... they work on other cars while it's happening. Mine was done in 4hrs in 1 day. Asked the tech how many they'd done. He said "too many!" Sounds like they've been at it for months already, at least at my SC, and have it down. I didn't lose any settings... just cookies in the browser and my phone pairing for music/phone (key pairing still worked). Didn't need to re-calibrate either. Not sure if they handled that on a test drive or what.

I did notice they removed my kid's car seats from the back, so I'm guessing they needed to get under the seat to disconnect the high voltage as part of the process. So if you have car seats, maybe lend a hand and save your tech some time by removing them before your service visit.

Picked up my car today at about 6 pm. The service rep explained that the car would need to be driven to complete the calibration. I started driving home at just about twilight. After about 10 to 15 miles I received a message that the camera calibration was complete.
On the freeway I noticed that display was doing a better job displaying all of the lanes across I5. Once I came off the freeway on to surface streets I didn’t notice it picking up traffic lights nor stop signs—am I missing something?

Well I can guarantee you the charging pin thing isn’t holding anything up. Took a mobile tech all of 30 seconds to swap mine a few months back.

The turnaround time here is a bit concerning. They definitely need to streamline their install procedure. I’d be very interested to know how many cars in the US with FSD purchased need the retrofit.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
Picked up my car today at about 6 pm. The service rep explained that the car would need to be driven to complete the calibration. I started driving home at just about twilight. After about 10 to 15 miles I received a message that the camera calibration was complete.
On the freeway I noticed that display was doing a better job displaying all of the lanes across I5. Once I came off the freeway on to surface streets I didn’t notice it picking up traffic lights nor stop signs—am I missing something?

I believe there’s a setting that needs to be enabled in the menus to activate the FSD preview to see cones, lights, etc.

Well I picked it up this morning without further issue. Somehow most of my settings stayed (radio, seat, trip, presets) The only thing I had to redo was bluetooth phone/audio even though the bluetooth keycard worked fine. Anywho, at first I wasn't understanding why I didn't see stoplights and stop signs but then I found the beta setting in the menus. So now that I'm FSD ready! I'm anxious to see the first cut of the software. I know it's not going to be great but it'll certainly be fun to try and pay with.

Reactions: Ctyler and PoitNarf
OK, I had a HW3 install scheduled, but 3 days later no HW3. Here's the quick version:

I scheduled my car for Service and to have the spoiler finally fitted (got the car in Oct 2018) and was told my FSD computer was available for my car. The service date was Tues Jan 28th at around 8am.

I was told by phone the prior day that my car might not be available for pickup the same day, because higher priority cars might come in on that day (tow-ins) and mine would end up in a queue. I only use my car at the weekends usually anyway, so fair enough.

At 3pm on Weds 29th, I got a call saying the tech had started working on my car, and it was a model that requires "an extra part for the FSD Computer" which is apparently needed to prevent issues with coolant. That part wasn't available, so they suggested I just get the service and schedule the upgrade another time. OK I guess I have no choice.

I picked the car up on Thursday 30th, with no upgrade and no spoiler (I suspect they didn't actually have a spoiler for me, otherwise they'd have done it) but my service was complete costing $614 (Wipers, brake fluid check, brake lubrication, alignment, "cleaner Kool It" (whatever that is) and new dead front pins (free, known issue), new HVAC combination filter. Car is 16 months old with 22k miles.

So... no cigar but $600 poorer. I'll leave it two weeks before asking about this part.

OK, I had a HW3 install scheduled, but 3 days later no HW3. Here's the quick version:

I scheduled my car for Service and to have the spoiler finally fitted (got the car in Oct 2018) and was told my FSD computer was available for my car. The service date was Tues Jan 28th at around 8am.

I was told by phone the prior day that my car might not be available for pickup the same day, because higher priority cars might come in on that day (tow-ins) and mine would end up in a queue. I only use my car at the weekends usually anyway, so fair enough.

At 3pm on Weds 29th, I got a call saying the tech had started working on my car, and it was a model that requires "an extra part for the FSD Computer" which is apparently needed to prevent issues with coolant. That part wasn't available, so they suggested I just get the service and schedule the upgrade another time. OK I guess I have no choice.

I picked the car up on Thursday 30th, with no upgrade and no spoiler (I suspect they didn't actually have a spoiler for me, otherwise they'd have done it) but my service was complete costing $614 (Wipers, brake fluid check, brake lubrication, alignment, "cleaner Kool It" (whatever that is) and new dead front pins (free, known issue), new HVAC combination filter. Car is 16 months old with 22k miles.

So... no cigar but $600 poorer. I'll leave it two weeks before asking about this part.
My $614 comment is slightly off topic, but damn! You're making me feel better about doing these things myself. While I will have to pay for an alignment eventually, everything else I've done or will do myself. I will have to learn what to lubricate with the brakes. I find this car very very low maintenance for my first 45K miles. Never had to clean the condenser on a car before, ok... but it wasn't too bad. Oh, and TIRES. I've worked really hard to get 45K miles on these tires. Very hard in a car this capable and fun.

Reactions: eprosenx
My $614 comment is slightly off topic, but damn! You're making me feel better about doing these things myself. While I will have to pay for an alignment eventually, everything else I've done or will do myself. I will have to learn what to lubricate with the brakes. I find this car very very low maintenance for my first 45K miles. Never had to clean the condenser on a car before, ok... but it wasn't too bad. Oh, and TIRES. I've worked really hard to get 45K miles on these tires. Very hard in a car this capable and fun.

You're absolutely right - they didn't even do a tire rotation come to think of it, or at least it wasn't on the receipt - but the parts for this service cost $96.50, labor was $468, remainder ($50) was tax. They did actually clean the car inside and out (pretty much detail level) which was not something I was expecting, but yes the labor costs are astronomical.

You're absolutely right - they didn't even do a tire rotation come to think of it, or at least it wasn't on the receipt - but the parts for this service cost $96.50, labor was $468, remainder ($50) was tax. They did actually clean the car inside and out (pretty much detail level) which was not something I was expecting, but yes the labor costs are astronomical.

That’s insane. I guess the majority of that cost was the alignment? Seems like a crazy price for what was done. What is your VIN range? (FSD related). I thought the extra parts were harness related and for super early VINs.

Ski

That’s insane. I guess the majority of that cost was the alignment? Seems like a crazy price for what was done. What is your VIN range? (FSD related). I thought the extra parts were harness related and for super early VINs.

Ski

My VIN is 072xxx - I was told it was cooling related but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere.

So here's the itemized breakdown:

Correction: A/C Odor Removal $87.75
Part: Cleaner, Kool It, 6oz $16.50
Part: HVAC Combination Filter x2 ($17)

Correction: Replace Wiper Blades $19.50
Part: Wiper Blade x2 $23

Correction: Brake Caliper Pad Slides - Cleaning with Lubrication $195
Correction: Brake Fluid Check $19.50

Correction: Replace Charge Port Dead Fronts $0.00 (covered by warranty)

Correction:Four Wheel Alignment, Check and Adjust: $146.25

Thanks for all that. Did you put it in for a 2 year service requirement or due to mileage for what’s on that list? I.e. Brake Caliper Slides (Sorry for thread drift).

Ski

I live quite near the SC so actually just dropped in in January to ask for a recommendation for a New York State safety test. A lot of places don't do Teslas, so I wanted their guidance. While I was there they said my FSD computer was ready (so it's true, they don't call you, you need to call them) and said my 2 year service would be due as well. I mentioned the spoiler and they agreed to do that as well.

I actually also mentioned some poor fitting on the passenger front door, but they didn't look at that.

2 times is the charm for me. I tried getting the Hardware 3 upgrade last month with no luck, not eligible. So I tried again and got this message.
Good morning,

This is Tesla Mobile Service. I do see that your profile is flagged as eligible for the HW3 retrofit. This is not mobile capable and must be performed at the service center. Please let us know your preferred center and we can schedule you accordingly. Thank you! If you have an early VIN like me, keep trying.

He also made a point of adding, while saying he's thinking "a few months" for feature complete, that feature complete just means "a non zero chance of it working- not that it will work well"

So I continue to be in no hurry for my HW3 upgrade- I'll take a later revision after the SCs have a lot of experience with the swaps.
Yes, same. I've scheduled my retrofit for like 6 weeks from now to give the SC's plenty of practice. Hopefully, it'll all be quick and routine by the time I take mine in.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention something weird. I have 2 Model 3's: 11XXX, and 63XXX. The only one that was flagged for the update was 63XXX, not the earlier one :confused:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ybbor
2 times is the charm for me. I tried getting the Hardware 3 upgrade last month with no luck, not eligible. So I tried again and got this message.
Good morning,

This is Tesla Mobile Service. I do see that your profile is flagged as eligible for the HW3 retrofit. This is not mobile capable and must be performed at the service center. Please let us know your preferred center and we can schedule you accordingly. Thank you! If you have an early VIN like me, keep trying.

Congrats !!! How did you contact them - did you just schedule a service visit through the app ?