Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, same. I've scheduled my retrofit for like 6 weeks from now to give the SC's plenty of practice. Hopefully, it'll all be quick and routine by the time I take mine in.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention something weird. I have 2 Model 3's: 11XXX, and 63XXX. The only one that was flagged for the update was 63XXX, not the earlier one :confused:

That's fascinating. Same options between them?

Had the retrofit done yesterday. Dropped the car off at Owings Mills, MD service center at 9:15am and it was ready to pickup at 5:30pm. There were at least five other cars having the upgrade done that day.

You loose all your custom settings (drivers seat, steering wheel, mirrors, summon, etc) so they all have to be redone, but that doesn't take very long. Also the cameras have to relearn for autopilot, but it happens much faster with the new computer (about 15-20 minutes in my case). The SC also upgrades the software after the hardware is installed, but I receive anther upgrade last night to v2020.4.1 4a.....

Reactions: Ctyler
Picked up FSD computer retrofit today after dropping off 066XXX AWD yesterday. I originally received a scheduled service notification from the app for the wrong location and wrong time with no service details, so perhaps this is the way Tesla will notify owners "via the app." They also replaced the battery breathers at the same time as it should help with the sheet metal noise when turning as well as well as temperature and pressure changes.

It sounds like this location is doing one retrofit a day, but this location seems to be relatively low traffic to begin with.

The only thing I had to redo was bluetooth phone pairing and calibration for Autopilot then additional calibration for No-Confirmation Navigate on Autopilot.

Last edited:
My car is in for some warranty work and they included HW3 as a part of the paperwork. They texted me earlier today saying they can’t install yet but will schedule it for a few weeks from now when I go in to pick it up tomorrow or Thursday.

I dropped off my Model 3 (2018 AWD w/ HW2.5) at the Service Center yesterday for the HW3 Retrofit and picked it up this morning.

The only settings lost was the paired Bluetooth for music (BT Key was still paired) and the WiFi settings. All other settings were still present. AutoPilot is still calibrating the cameras, but I turned on the FSD Preview and they work!

Reactions: hcdavis3
...They also replaced the battery breathers at the same time as it should help with the sheet metal noise when turning as well as well as temperature and pressure changes...

Battery breathers? What's that? I did notice they removed my kid's car seats in mine when they did the upgrade & I was wondering why that might be. Assumed they may have just needed to do a high voltage disconnect under the rear seat (is that a thing?), but then I also noticed the paperwork specifically noted the retrofit was "with wiring rework" or something like that while I've seen other's paperwork not saying that.

Very unfortunately true. My Supercharging status says Pay Per Use, even though I have FUSC and have never been charged. I don't dare ask them to change it in case it breaks something else. :D
OMG, me too. My OCD tells me I need it changed. My brain that knows how Tesla works says do not dare do this. Also going with the brain on this one.

Battery breathers? What's that? I did notice they removed my kid's car seats in mine when they did the upgrade & I was wondering why that might be.
Some Model 3s have a louder popping noise that can be reduced with an updated battery breather component:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163736-9999.pdf

And your comment reminded me that I also need to reinstall the passenger side car seat before picking up the kids. They left a note saying it needed to be removed but no details why:
tesla car seat.jpg

Just give everyone my experience with the retrofit. My M3 developed a crack in the rear glass and it was replaced under warranty. When I made the appointment I was told I would be getting the FSD retrofit. My M3 is a AWD+ with VIN 87####. Both items took just over a day to complete and, apart from loosing all my settings (which I expected), the car is working fine and now I see lots of cones, etc...

Reactions: hcdavis3 and ybbor
Has anyone in TX (specifically Austin) gotten a Model 3 FSD upgrade yet? I need a tire rotation, but don't want to book until I know they've started them out here in this EV forsaken land...

A bit late to the party here, but I just had HW3 installed on my LR-RWD at the Austin Service Center. I had an issue where AutoPark wasn't working, but everything else AutoPilot-related was, and in my appointment notes suggested that HW3 might fix the issue. They agreed and scheduled an appointment for me. Took about 2 days to complete as my appointment was in the afternoon. If it was in the morning I bet it could have been done in 1 day.

They said the hardware is the easy part, it's the software that takes a long time to load/validate/test.

(PS do you consider Austin an EV-forsaken land, or Texas in general? I would say our Tesla population is staggeringly large, maybe even on par with the Bay Area. Our per-capita Tesla ownership is double that of Houston and I am often driving on MoPac with 3-4 other Teslas around me.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ctyler
Dropped my Mar 2018 model 3 (VIN 94xx) off on 1/20, and picked it up on 1/21, with HW3.0. Some initial observations:
  • Except for recognizing my phone as a key, everything else was reset (car name, driver profiles, all settings, homelink, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc).
  • No noticeable damage, no new creaks or rattles (something I was worried about).
  • The maps had reset to the default non-satellite view, which actually looks really clean and minimalistic. I’d been using the satellite view for so long, I had forgotten what the regular map looked like during the daytime, and I think I prefer it!
  • Autopilot had to be recalibrated. While I could see cones right away, after turning the FSD visualization preview on, I had to wait until calibration was complete before I could see traffic lights, lane arrows, stop signs, trash cans, etc.
  • Traffic light color is really hard to see! It’s way too small and dim.
  • May be my imagination, but autosteer seems better at centering in the lane. Will take more testing to confirm.
  • Sentry mode is glitching out. I had 69 sentry events (maybe one of Elon’s Easter eggs?) at work today, and when I reviewed them, I could see my headlights flashing but nothing on camera to indicate a trigger. I’m going to reboot and see if this continues, and if it does, I may need to return to the SC.
  • While I was there, they installed my trunk garnish (no charge), and replaced the fabric lining on my A-pillar, which had poor fitment on early model 3s. Also did the service bulletin pin replacement on my charge port.
  • Overall good experience with the Honolulu SC this go around. No Tesla loaners available, but they gave me an enterprise rental for the day.

They didn't backup/restore your system correctly. Nothing on my car was reset or different except my radio station favorites. Everything else was preserved.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
So, I’m wondering if anyone has had the HW3 upgrade by a mobile tech? It seems from what I’ve read on the forums everyone had to go to a SC. I thought this would’ve been able to be done via mobile tech according to previous Elon tweets?

Mobile Service came out to diagnose my AutoPark issues, and then scheduled me an appointment at the Service Center to upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3. They said it's not something that mobile service can do currently.

So, I’m wondering if anyone has had the HW3 upgrade by a mobile tech? It seems from what I’ve read on the forums everyone had to go to a SC. I thought this would’ve been able to be done via mobile tech according to previous Elon tweets?

I suppose this might be possible on an S/X- but the 3 runs coolant lines through the unit so has to be done at the SC.

Mobile Service came out to diagnose my AutoPark issues, and then scheduled me an appointment at the Service Center to upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3. They said it's not something that mobile service can do currently.
I may end up doing the same thing. I’ve had an issue with the driver’s door not closing very easily. Always takes more than one attempt to properly close door. All the other doors are fine. I’ll ask for mobile tech to have a look at it and perhaps schedule the HW3 upgrade at that point if a available.