Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the exact same thing in Boston and have an appointment for my 2 year service in late March. No confirmation either way whether HW3 will be included.

I just booked an appointment for a "HW3 upgrade please" last week. Nothing else on the request, just that.

Mobile appointment was for 14th, who referred to the SC, which brought forward the appointment by a week to today.
Message from the SC 2 days ago said sure, everything's ready, drop it off at 8am.

2pm got a message to say it was done, and to come pick it up. So I did, all working fine.

VERY happy with the service. TBH, always have had good service at that SC.

Reactions: Ctyler
Just had my retrofit done.. haven't read through every page if there's a format we're using.. so I'll wing it..

Vehicle: Sept 2018 Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor (114,xxx vin)
FSD Purchase date: March 2019
Drop-off/Pickup: Jan 29/Feb 6
Reason for Service: 5 things total;
-Driver door clunking sound - - they replaced the door strap
-Battery popping sound while supercharging/hilly driving - - they replaced battery breathers
-Turn signal stock wasn't consistently registering a full 'click' to indicate right - - they replaced the steering column control.
-requested FSD upgrade - - they replaced the autopilot computer with the FSD one.
-requested they replace the windshield wipers - - they replaced these as well :)

Total charges: $64.84 (for the new wipers) everything else was under warranty.

Very happy with their service! although it nearly took 7 days and I got sent to enterprise for a free ICE rental :( first world problem I suppose.

Reactions: Ctyler
Just discovered another post HW 3.0 issue: my LR RWD used to charge to approximately 260 miles at 80%, but now is only charging to around 235 miles at 80%, and shows an estimated 295 at 100%, instead of 325.

I’ll have them take a look at that, too, when I take it in on the 17th for the phantom sentry triggers I posted about earlier.

• Informative
Reactions: Pavlo_Y and Ctyler
Just discovered another post HW 3.0 issue: my LR RWD used to charge to approximately 260 miles at 80%, but now is only charging to around 235 miles at 80%, and shows an estimated 295 at 100%, instead of 325.

I’ll have them take a look at that, too, when I take it in on the 17th for the phantom sentry triggers I posted about earlier.

My LR RWD charge was 290@90% before (322 estimate full via app) and post upgrade was exactly the same.

Put in for a service appt by app today for my day one AWD+FSD order delivered Oct'18. Put it under 'Accessories & Upgrades topic and just put 'My already purchased FSD computer upgrade to HW3' and it gave me a mobile service appt in Atanta for next week. We'll see if it gets reviewed and reworked. I'd be really surprised if they just did it and especially by mobile service but guessing it will get transferred to the Decatur SC if it doesn't get cancelled instead.

Just brought my car into Renton, WA service for unrelated issue (RATTLES) and asked. Apparently my VIN is on the list now but they're only doing 2x a day so suggested I schedule an appointment once I get the car back. Colour me not optimistic that they'll agree when I schedule it on the app though.

Anyone know if mobile service can do it?

Got the HW3 installed on my LR RWD over this past weekend. Today was first day driving it any meaningful distance with it. Cameras needed to calibrate and I thought my 30 minutes commute would be long enough to get it done. But it’s been stuck at what looks like 99% and didn’t budge at all on my commute home. How long the camera calibration taken others who have had the upgrade?

Got the HW3 installed on my LR RWD over this past weekend. Today was first day driving it any meaningful distance with it. Cameras needed to calibrate and I thought my 30 minutes commute would be long enough to get it done. But it’s been stuck at what looks like 99% and didn’t budge at all on my commute home. How long the camera calibration taken others who have had the upgrade?

It took around 15ish miles for me.

Camera calibration? Hmmm seems to me that all service centers should of completed this process before sending any customer off the lot with it being ready to go on pickup....

That’s a waste of time for already overtaxed service center staff. Depending on the time of day driving 15 miles around my local service center could easily take 30-45 minutes. If the calibration operation completes correctly for a clear majority of customers while driving on their own then that’s a huge resource drain for service center staff. I’d rather have them spend that time working on the next vehicle that needs attention. The only time they should be driving vehicles around is for problem diagnosis and verification that mechanical repair work was successful.

103XXX VIN AWD Delivery 10/2018, made an appointment via the app for a few rattles and threw in a request for my HW3 upgrade. The service center just reached out to me to confirm that it's ready. Fingers crossed.

Anyone know if mobile service can do it?
Looks like they're starting to do mobile service FSD retrofit for Model 3s: Bend Oregon Tesla Club on Twitter
Good afternoon, this is CJ with Tesla mobile service. I am reaching out to set up a service visit to retrofit your full self driving computer in to your model 3. … I will need access to a 110V plug for battery support. The repair should take around 2.5 hours.
This was likely a 2018Q3 build with a 110,xxx VIN.

Looks like they're starting to do mobile service FSD retrofit for Model 3s: Bend Oregon Tesla Club on Twitter

This was likely a 2018Q3 build with a 110,xxx VIN.
Well ours is in now having the retrofit done vin 151k we were told the retrofit has to be done at a SC. But this is great news. Because some people have been driving 2 hours for service and giving Uber credits which I think is a bit much. Loaners should be available. However I get it, there busy and don’t have the cars but they to do better in that front.
However excited to get our FSD computer

On a whim I booked “FSD/HW3 computer upgrade” on the mobile app expecting it to be declined but instead they emailed me asking if I was available for an earlier appointment.

I’ll be out of the country until next weekend so I scheduled the retrofit for Monday the 17th which I have off for the holiday.

My car is from April 2018, VIN 0012652, and FSD was purchased during the “fire sale” in March 2019. Excited to see what this new computer can do.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I just got the HW3 upgrade done at the Lyndhurst, 0H SC. I was given a loaner and was notified late in the day yesterday that the car would need to stay in the shop overnight to complete the firmware upgrade. I got notified it was ready this morning. I just needed to repair my phone and drive about 20 miles to calibrate the cameras. So far everything is working great.

Reactions: PoitNarf
Put in for a service appt by app today for my day one AWD+FSD order delivered Oct'18. Put it under 'Accessories & Upgrades topic and just put 'My already purchased FSD computer upgrade to HW3' and it gave me a mobile service appt in Atanta for next week. We'll see if it gets reviewed and reworked. I'd be really surprised if they just did it and especially by mobile service but guessing it will get transferred to the Decatur SC if it doesn't get cancelled instead.

Appt got rescheduled to Decatur SC for the 20th with a followup message from the SC confirming the time so I guess that means they will perform the upgrade... exciting! I had accidentally dropped a hex bit into the speaker hole inside the dashboard while replacing the speakers and it has been rattling around somewhere above the computer so hoping they can remove that at the same time. Has been driving me nuts for months and it seems there is no way to get to it without tearing the whole dash apart.