Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don’t see what’s wrong with clogging the system and Tesla wasting time cancelling people’s appointments, and sending them emails explaining the process then I don’t know what to tell you. People on here have already confirmed Tesla contacting them. What’s funnier is after wasting Teslas time you go complain that they never call you.

Tesla could preempt all that terrible crippling system clogging with even a minimal level of proactive communication. (E.g., a mass email explaining "FSD HW3 Update: We wanted to share with our customers the status of the HW3 retrofit process. At this time, we have begun installing them on all Model S and X, and on early VIN Model 3. We will be going through the orders systematically based on the date the customer purchased the FSD option. We anticipate completing this process on the vast majority of cars over the next 90-120 days. As soon as we are ready to perform the retrofit in your car, rest assured we will contact you. Thank you for your patience.") That would take one person at Tesla ten minutes (but it would also require the company to actually execute a systematic rollout, as opposed to the chaotic way they always do things). So I blame Tesla, rather than customers who inquire via the app regarding about something they're owed that's already overdue and it turns out is in fact available to you.

Tesla could preempt all that terrible crippling system clogging with even a minimal level of proactive communication. (E.g., a mass email explaining "FSD HW3 Update: We wanted to share with our customers the status of the HW3 retrofit process. At this time, we have begun installing them on all Model S and X, and on early VIN Model 3. We will be going through the orders systematically based on the date the customer purchased the FSD option. We anticipate completing this process on the vast majority of cars over the next 90-120 days. As soon as we are ready to perform the retrofit in your car, rest assured we will contact you. Thank you for your patience.") That would take one person at Tesla ten minutes (but it would also require the company to actually execute a systematic rollout, as opposed to the chaotic way they always do things). So I blame Tesla, rather than customers who inquire via the app regarding about something they're owed that's already overdue and it turns out is in fact available to you.
Dude, after your first appointment cancellation Tesla tells you the process because they have to explain why they cancelled it. Besides, people that frequent these forums already know this. The issue is he kept scheduling them regardless of being told otherwise. He says it in his first post.

They hardly even contact you to take your money in exchange for a car. No. One must be proactive, persistent and most importantly patient when dealing with Tesla.

Tesla called yesterday 2.12.2020. Said I can have my HW3 2.21.2020. Car was purchased 3/2019, bought FSD 9/2019. To answer a previous poster's question. Technician said model S and X can be upgraded in the field. Model 3 uses some sort of coolant to cool the NVIDIA card and must be done in Service Center. Says they do 2-3 per day and mine shouldn't take more than 2+ hours. For those of you on Long Island New York, I learned last week that they are opening a Service Center in Smithtown as Syosset is very busy.

My vin is 118xxx; I inquired about a service appointment for the upgrade last week using the app and got scheduled for installation tomorrow. I checked back to confirm the appointment and ask how long the installation would take. They reconfirmed and said it could, in some cases, take up to 8 hours to ensure the firmware worked properly. So far, no hassle. Will see what actually happens tomorrow, but they scheduled the installation at my request without any prior notification that my car was due for the upgrade.

Had mine done last week. Made an appt just for the hell of it to see if I could get it via mobile service. Tesla rep called to say I was eligible but needed to relocate the service to the nearest service center, mobile can't do it apparently. The entire process took 7.5 hours from drop off to pick up (picked up same day)

I'm scheduled for next Thursday in Watertown, MA.

I wasn't one of the earliest 3's delivered through Dedham, but I WAS on the first truckload of Performance 3's delivered (August 2018). I scheduled it through the app yesterday, and 45 minutes later got a text saying I was eligible, and asking which SC I would like to go through.

I did the exact same thing in Boston and have an appointment for my 2 year service in late March. No confirmation either way whether HW3 will be included.

I scheduled through the app yesterday on the off-chance they'd fit me in. I'm going in next Thursday (Watertown).

July 2018 build, took delivery August 2018. 68,xxx VIN.

No way of knowing where you'd be in the queue.

Tesla Model 3 Performance VIN 826**, built September/October 2018, took delivery 11/2018, bought FSD at time of car purchase, currently staying in Orlando FL (home base is Pittsburgh PA), made service appointment a couple weeks ago for FSD computer upgrade, they took my car yesterday morning at 9:00AM at the Orlando Tesla Service center, completed it today at 9:00AM, cameras still calibrating at 99%, seems to stay in lanes better, visualizations work, all settings seem to be preserved.

I had the “FSD” retrofit done yesterday, and I only needed to re-pair my cell phone and log in to YouTube and Netflix. Homelink worked fine, Sentry geofencing preserved, and entertainment and navigation favorites were preserved. Camera calibrated in 20 minutes. Autopilot seems smoother now, and stoplights reflect correct status. Seeing garbage cans and cones are somehow fascinating.
Logging into YouTube had problems with an insecure browser, but the Plex workaround worked. Well explained on YouTube.
This was scheduled for mobile, then referred as Service Center appointment a day earlier. This forum has been helpful in showing 3rd qtr 2018 builds as being done. Loaners were an issue, and despite pointing out previous comments by Elon, they are “phasing out of loaners.” They need to get the story straight on this. Uber credits don’t work when you need to shop at 4 places for meds and essentials.

• Informative
Reactions: pscarroll
I'm scheduled for next Thursday in Watertown, MA.

I wasn't one of the earliest 3's delivered through Dedham, but I WAS on the first truckload of Performance 3's delivered (August 2018). I scheduled it through the app yesterday, and 45 minutes later got a text saying I was eligible, and asking which SC I would like to go through.
Delivery for me was early April 2018. As of last week my car wasn't approved for the HWD upgrade but they ok'd scheduling my 2 year ownership service with the expectation by end of March it should be.

If you don’t see what’s wrong with clogging the system and Tesla wasting time cancelling people’s appointments, and sending them emails explaining the process then I don’t know what to tell you. People on here have already confirmed Tesla contacting them. What’s funnier is after wasting Teslas time you go complain that they never call you.

I have asked two times now, because I have 6 other warranty issues I am needing them to take care of, but they aren't critical and I don't want to make multiple visits, but they are annoying so I would like them fixed when possible. Each time they have told me to wait and ask again 'We recommend checking back at your next service appointment'. No mention of 'we will get in touch when your VIN is ready'.

If you're asking just for HW3, then yeah you're wasting their time. If you're asking for HW3 and warranty issues then I don't see the harm in asking multiple times, because all it's doing is trying limit the number of service visits in there facilities.

I have asked two times now, because I have 6 other warranty issues I am needing them to take care of, but they aren't critical and I don't want to make multiple visits, but they are annoying so I would like them fixed when possible. Each time they have told me to wait and ask again 'We recommend checking back at your next service appointment'. No mention of 'we will get in touch when your VIN is ready'.

If you're asking just for HW3, then yeah you're wasting their time. If you're asking for HW3 and warranty issues then I don't see the harm in asking multiple times, because all it's doing is trying limit the number of service visits in there facilities.
Of course if you already have an appointment might as well enquire about it. However, my comment was about booking appointments for the sole reason of a HW3 upgrade.