Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Palo Alto, CA: I have a Nov ‘18 LR RWD. Sent a mobile request for upgrade on Sun 5/31. Got a text this morning 6/1 saying there were no parts available and booking me for 7/13 to hold a spot. Then... got a call later this morning 6/1 saying parts arrived and booking me for a mobile appt. Jun 8. Awesome! I’ll update with my experience.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I tried to get tesla to loan me acceleration boost until I get my hw3 upgrade. I have enhanced autopilot and basically the $4000 given has seen no return yet. The agent said they can, as once the car gets the acceleration boost it can't be taken away unless the car is opened up blahblahblah. Okay, that's why it was removed after I refunded it the first time... Really pissed to get such a bs response from the rep... Gonna try to ask another agent... Or should I ask the service center?

• Disagree
Reactions: jsrawa and Tz00
I tried to get tesla to loan me acceleration boost until I get my hw3 upgrade. I have enhanced autopilot and basically the $4000 given has seen no return yet. The agent said they can, as once the car gets the acceleration boost it can't be taken away unless the car is opened up blahblahblah. Okay, that's why it was removed after I refunded it the first time... Really pissed to get such a bs response from the rep... Gonna try to ask another agent... Or should I ask the service center?

Nobody's going to give you anything for free.

But if you wanna waste your time letting em find new lies to tell you knock yourself out- THOSE they never run out of...

I've gotten different ones each time they've cancelled my HW3 upgrade appointment so far... (and both times they cancelled my mobile one for charge pin fix)

I made an appt through the mobile app for the HW3 install on 5/20. Received a text 2 seconds later informing me that they had to cancel the appt due to lack of parts. I received a text on 5/28 saying that the parts were in and they wanted to schedule my install. They'll be coming to my house on Friday :) They also be replacing a charging pin (didn't know there was an issue with that)

Last edited:
And they did not reach out to me when they opened back up. I scheduled a new appointment and was initially told that they didn't have any parts and that the service center would reach out to me when they were available.

This was obviously standard boilerplate, so I asked them what happened to the parts they had for my previous, confirmed, appointment. They responded by scheduling me for June 2. :)

We'll see if it gets cancelled again. This is my fourth attempt at getting this computer changed out, with two (so far) confirmed ahead of time (the other two were "no parts" early cancellations).
Just picked up my car. HW3 upgrade complete!

I lost all of my settings (except for phone key). That's a minor pain in the neck, especially since I lost my "Lifetime" trip meter data. I did remember to take a picture of it before I dropped off my car, so I can use the data if needed. I have an older Model 3, so they had to do the wiring harness changes (whatever those are) in addition to replacing the computer, so that might have something to do with it.

I can see stop signs and traffic lights, so all is good. Have to wait until I get home tonight to download the new navigation data. Plus I'll have to reteach my garage door opener. Such is the price of technology!

Glad to have the upgrade done, though!

So, just called my Tesla SC to see if they have the parts in stock for my June 4th appt. Put me on hold for the longest 3 minutes lol. Came back and....parts are allocated for my vehicle. I asked if that means they are in stock and he said yes they are here. Didn't seem to happy on the call. They must be crazy busy.

So, seems like I am getting the HW3 upgrade next Thursday! Cannot wait!
Hope you're getting your service today! I just had my appointment for Friday pushed out by two weeks for the third time...

How did you manage to talk to a human at your SC? When I try I just end up going down a menu rat hole, and eventually the system just hangs up...

What data/settings can I expect to lose one I'm upgraded?
Other people here have had different experiences, but I personally lost everything except the "phone as key" link (i.e. I could still unlock and drive the car using only my phone as a key). I had to enter the name of my car again, create a new driver profile, save the position of my seat, return all settings back to the way I liked them, re-enter home address and work address into the nav system, etc. Still not sure I got them all back where they were, but pretty close now.

Other people here have had different experiences, but I personally lost everything except the "phone as key" link (i.e. I could still unlock and drive the car using only my phone as a key). I had to enter the name of my car again, create a new driver profile, save the position of my seat, return all settings back to the way I liked them, re-enter home address and work address into the nav system, etc. Still not sure I got them all back where they were, but pretty close now.
I had my HW3 upgrade a couple weeks ago. It went exceptionally smoothly. No data was lost, not even my seat preferences! Took them just over 2 hours.
@smjbh5: So to answer your question: it depends. My HW3 upgrade was performed in my driveway end of April and required about 90 minutes. My VIN is 444xx. I do know that there was a cooling hose change/addition. I don't know if the tech changed out any electrical wiring. The only things I "lost" were my WiFi password, pairing to my phone and my Netflix login. Kept my odometers, driver profiles, radio favorites, registered keycards and fob, etc.

Note: I do know that the car was in range of my home's WiFi system at all times. The tech requested that I open my garage door so that he could move the car partially inside in order to get the best reception from my wireless repeater.

Note2: Just remembered... you will probably revert back to an earlier map version but that should update in a day or so. Same thing is possible for the software version but the tech should be able to install the latest version before handing the car back to you.

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought it was today. Hope all goes smoothly.

Does your SC give you the option to talk to a human? I couldn't find a way in...

Thanks. No option... I just picked service. Each SC is different. When I bought my car I went to Cherry Hill. Contacting them was a nightmare. The manager there is not too nice. Princeton is newer but seems to be easier so far to deal with.

I lost everything expect the phone key. Had to reset mirrors, drivers seat, headlight settings, garage door opener, reconnect to wifi, my maps also had to be re downloaded, the autopilot cameras have to be re-calibrated, sign back in to Spotify, Netlfix, etc, home/work addresses had to be re-entered. Basically ALL your settings are gone and reset to factory default.

So all done with my upgrade! Dropped off at 9am and was done before 2pm. Only lost wifi and Bluetooth connection.

Issue I am having now is even after I got the latest maps I cannot turn on the lights and stop sign beta. It's greyed out and I cannot turn it on.

I've read it could take a few hours to activate or overnight.

Others have said getting the maps update after the SC does the FW update and not the other way around could be the issue.

I powered off the car twice and that did nothing.

Any ideas?

Reactions: boriszima and mec37
So all done with my upgrade! Dropped off at 9am and was done before 2pm. Only lost wifi and Bluetooth connection.

Issue I am having now is even after I got the latest maps I cannot turn on the lights and stop sign beta. It's greyed out and I cannot turn it on.

I've read it could take a few hours to activate or overnight.

Others have said getting the maps update after the SC does the FW update and not the other way around could be the issue.

I powered off the car twice and that did nothing.

Any ideas?

What maps version are you on?
How long have you driven after the HW3 upgrade?