Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s my story. I am at our vacation condo in the Palm Springs area but our home is in the Portland Or area.

I used the app to make an appointment and all went well at first. But because our internet had gone out while we were away, the tech tried to use his phone to download the update. It went very slow and while that was happening, I managed to get WiFi working so we switched to that but it was still very slow. Eventually the tech had to leave but said he would monitor the download and get back to me. Didn’t hear anything and the next day went to the car and found it was dead. Ended up getting towed to the local service center and haven’t heard a peep after 4 days and counting.

Now the reason I did not hear from the tech was that he called my home phone (the number in my profile) rather than my cell (which he had used to contact me for the appointment.) Apparently, since I did not know to go to the car to finish the install, the 12V ran dead. Seem odd that the 12V would not be charged just because it was waiting for a button to be pressed.

Naturally, I tried to contact service but no one answers the phone and a message left requesting an update was ignored.

BTW, the WiFi is key to the whole thing. My cable modem/router died while we were away so I got a pair from Spectrum. However it was impossible to change the name/password (spent couple of hours chatting with them.) To get to the garage I have to use a range extender but that was set for the old name/password. I eventually was able to get it to use the new name by doing a paper clip poke.

So, if our internet hadn’t gone out or if the new router worked properly or if the tech had used my cell number (or had stayed until the download had finished), I would still have a car.

And, yes, my profile now shows my cell.

Oh, one more thing. I believe the tow truck driver, in a hurry to get rid of the dialog on the screen asking to complete the install, hit the button to do it. Of course the 12V was just on his jumper and the battery probably went dead again in the midst of the install.

So, what is the procedure when you have an appointment that someone (presumably Tesla? Received no correspondence...) set for December 13th, and when you click on view details it just sits there spinning?

There is apparently no way for me to cancel, modify or make an appointment, right? And presumably no way to contact them by phone? Should I try the main Tesla number too or is that a waste of time too?

Would be nice to get mobile service to do this, for sure. Good to hear they can.

Unfortunately there is apparently no way to contact Tesla. Oh well.

D4D8CD19-D987-455B-8950-A291B10DC544.png

I'm sorry to see that many forum members are having a difficult time getting their HW3 systems installed. I wanted to share my better experience with my local service center in Plano, TX.

I ordered FSD with the recent sale and finally decided to schedule an appointment this past Thursday. The first available appointment was for Monday. I was surprised I could get an appointment that quick. Then I received a text asking if I'd like to reschedule for the next day since they had some openings. The mobile tech arrived during the window but said he wasn't able to install it that day because of a firmware issue. He did swap out the chargeport pins (which was added to the service appointment by Tesla). I received another text on Monday asking if they could come out the next day to do the install. A different mobile tech came out yesterday and finished things up in about 90 minutes. All my settings, including Homelink were transferred over so that was nice. I did need to reconnect to my wifi and once I did, the navigation update started downloading.

Hopefully, Tesla will continue to improve their service so everyone will have a positive service experience like I did.

Reactions: dmurphy
So, what is the procedure when you have an appointment that someone (presumably Tesla? Received no correspondence...) set for December 13th, and when you click on view details it just sits there spinning?

There is apparently no way for me to cancel, modify or make an appointment, right? And presumably no way to contact them by phone? Should I try the main Tesla number too or is that a waste of time too?

Would be nice to get mobile service to do this, for sure. Good to hear they can.

Unfortunately there is apparently no way to contact Tesla. Oh well.

View attachment 600450
You tried killing the app and restarting it to get a new connection? I had the same thing the other day when it wouldn't connect and that fixed it.

I'm sorry to see that many forum members are having a difficult time getting their HW3 systems installed. I wanted to share my better experience with my local service center in Plano, TX.

I ordered FSD with the recent sale and finally decided to schedule an appointment this past Thursday. The first available appointment was for Monday. I was surprised I could get an appointment that quick. Then I received a text asking if I'd like to reschedule for the next day since they had some openings. The mobile tech arrived during the window but said he wasn't able to install it that day because of a firmware issue. He did swap out the chargeport pins (which was added to the service appointment by Tesla). I received another text on Monday asking if they could come out the next day to do the install. A different mobile tech came out yesterday and finished things up in about 90 minutes. All my settings, including Homelink were transferred over so that was nice. I did need to reconnect to my wifi and once I did, the navigation update started downloading.

Hopefully, Tesla will continue to improve their service so everyone will have a positive service experience like I did.
Had the same experience with my install. Took about 90 minutes to swap the computers, Michael from the new Sterling location in NoVa did the mobile service, let me know about the need to have the cameras recalibrate. What's interesting is that he didn't tell me that because of the new hardware that you need to reconnect wifi and bluetooth (something I already knew from having my X go through the MCU/AP ugprade months ago).

You'd think that would be a piece of info people would want to know before they discover later the car isn't on wifi, phones don't connect for music, etc.

Beside that, completely seamless, all settings in place, just need to drive to get the calibration done.

Reactions: superblast
You tried killing the app and restarting it to get a new connection? I had the same thing the other day when it wouldn't connect and that fixed it.

It was a two-year-old appointment they had not cleared from their system. I managed to get someone in person on the phone (tried parts, and they transferred me to service which is otherwise inaccessible) and they had to clear it out and then all was well.

Reactions: boaterva
I had a good experience with the HW3 upgrade. I have a 2018 M3 LR dual motor that is almost exactly two years old this week.

I bought the FSD upgrade about a month ago in the app and made an appointment for the HW3 upgrade two weeks ago. They offered a mobile service option so I took it. The tech showed up on time and had the car for about an hour. He saved and restored all my settings so it was completely painless to use the car immediately afterwards.

Nothing was showing up in visualization except the car itself for a few miles on the first short trip, then lane markers and limit lines started showing up. Another short drive the next day and I started hearing bongs when a light turns green, but still not seeing other vehicles. Judging by the blue indicator around the steering wheel on the display, calibration is about 75% complete so I should get the full picture soon.

If you do the upgrade and calibration seems stuck on near-zero percent for a long time, don’t worry. It jumped from 0 to about 50% after 2 days with nothing in between and now is inching up from there.

[Culver City service center]

He saved and restored all my settings so it was completely painless to use the car immediately afterwards.

I did notice today that I had to reconfigure WiFi. So that setting apparently wasn't saved. But everything else was restored as far as I can tell, including cards, keyfob, cell phone, Spotify login, Homelink, etc.

I got this text message from Tesla service a few weeks after doing the V2.5 to v3 FSD computer upgrade. Nice to receive confirmation of data security with the old computer:

"Please disregard the automated texts you have just received. In order to protect your personal information, we are preparing the car computer recently removed from your Model 3 to be scrapped. We apologize for the additional notifications, rest assured that your privacy is of utmost importance to us. Thank you."

Reactions: superblast
Do the 2021 models come with all the necessary hardware for fsd? Or would a brand new model with AP still need to go in for a hardware change? Just curious if I decide to add it now or later will... A. It postpone my delivery date? And b. Need to go into the shop for the "upgrade"

Thanks in advance

2021 models should already come with HW3. At this point in time if you buy FSD, you're guaranteed to get HW3, even if for some reason the car only has HW2.5. Some people, me included, have had their upgrade done by the rangers (mobile service) at home or work. Others, have had to take the car into the service center. Kind of depends on where you live but I'd say you'll have a better chance to get it done by mobile service now, then a year ago.

Has anyone with AP on a <HW3 car upgraded to HW3?
I have a March 2019 car with AP but would be curious to have HW3 if only for the enhanced driving visualizations alone. I know it may seem silly to some, but I can't afford $10k for FSD, but do like the look of the enhanced visuals on the current HW.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Without FSD, I don't believe you can have HW3 installed.

Yeah, I thought that may be the case.
I was hoping that once the initial wave of HW3 upgrades made it through, that I may have a chance to get in and have mine done. It's obviously not as beneficial as it would be if I had FSD, but I would still assume there's some safety upgrades to make an argument for with me at least having AP, no? I wish they'd bring back the EAP upgrade. They got rid of it just before I configured my car. FSD is more than I need, but EAP would be juuuust right. :)

Then there is the option of selling your current car and buying a replacement that already has HW3.
Maybe you could find a good deal on a newer one which has base AP or EAP already.

Yeah... too much hassle just for better visualizations !

Has anyone with AP on a <HW3 car upgraded to HW3?
I have a March 2019 car with AP but would be curious to have HW3 if only for the enhanced driving visualizations alone. I know it may seem silly to some, but I can't afford $10k for FSD, but do like the look of the enhanced visuals on the current HW.

One of our impetus for upgrading from EAP to FSD at the end of 2019 was to get the HW3 upgrade (from 2.5).

Now Tesla seems to have worked through the backlog, it would seems prudent for them to offer that HW switch as a standalone upgrade.

But without the rewrite of the system to take advantage of the newer faster processor, not sure what's to be gained by it in the short-term.