Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Interior: Ugh!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trevor Page at model three owners club had a good theory on the spaceship steering system. He said it was first announced only a few days after the original reveal. As of that time, they had not yet made the decision to pull the production forward as far as they did. He thinks the advanced steering system will ship later so that production ramp is not at risk.

Trevor Page at model three owners club had a good theory on the spaceship steering system. He said it was first announced only a few days after the original reveal. As of that time, they had not yet made the decision to pull the production forward as far as they did. He thinks the advanced steering system will ship later so that production ramp is not at risk.
I, personally, don't think this is the case.

For what it's worth, The Tesla Show's latest podcast on 5/30 shared an interesting rumor from a source that knows Tesla engineers, apparently:

HUD is coming, but only on the S/X. It covers a 1/3rd (or 1/4th?) of the windshield. They're dropping the driver-facing speedometer display in both vehicles ("two" displays: 17" LCD + HUD). Possibly switching to landscape orientation of the main 17" display.

Take it with the usual grain of salt, but I trust The Tesla Show mates a bit more (IIRC, they both work at Silicon Valley companies; I think one of the two works at Google...but I could be totally off-base, too).

For what it's worth, The Tesla Show's latest podcast on 5/30 shared an interesting rumor from a source that knows Tesla engineers, apparently:

HUD is coming, but only on the S/X. It covers a 1/3rd (or 1/4th?) of the windshield. They're dropping the driver-facing speedometer display in both vehicles ("two" displays: 17" LCD + HUD). Possibly switching to landscape orientation of the main 17" display.

Take it with the usual grain of salt, but I trust The Tesla Show mates a bit more (IIRC, they both work at Silicon Valley companies; I think one of the two works at Google...but I could be totally off-base, too).

Yeah HUD as an option is just a matter of time imo. And I'm perfectly fine waiting it out.

I don't even mind the lack of an instrument cluster... HUD or not, that display jutting out is without a doubt an eyesore and a disaster aesthetically. I'm waiting for the AWD version anyway, so I'm hoping by then they will rethink the layout after all the backlash and embed the display into the dash like it should have been from the beginning!

Seriously, it wouldn't cost that much more at all to have a more "meaty" console in the center to house the display, making it flush with the dash.

I can foresee aftermarket applications gallore, with different types of housings that will surround the display. I don't know, something tells me Elon is hiding the final layout, and that it will indeed have an enclosed display...

Last edited:

Very interesting. This makes sense. And it's not surprising; right now there is no continuity in the interior design of the S/X and the 3.

I wonder if they had originally planned on the HUD as an option for the 3, but though better of it, knowing that it would result in severe cannibalization of the S by the 3.

Reactions: ikjadoon
Can't say I agree with this - weren't they always planning on starting production in July? Yes, they had to ramp up quicker than expected, but they would need to be "feature complete" (sorry, I'm a software guy) well in advance of production. I don't see how a larger number of orders changed the production date at all.

Reactions: JeffK