Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BLE beacons are supposed to last months and are very power efficient. I believe this change is directly related to the recent keyfob heists of Model S/X cars. They can solve this by implementing pin to drive for the Model 3.

Calm down, folks. Tesla has already stated that they would provide a key fob free of charge to current owners:

Tesla Model 3 Key Fob Free To Current Owners, Included For New
That article does not say that. And the basic message in that article has now been proven wrong since it originally stated that the 3 fob would be included at no cost with the car. Which turned out not to be true.

Some people read that article (there is another very long thread about it) and assumed everything it said was true. It puzzles me why some people assumed that.

I wish they used CDMA cellular networks (Verizon for example). I can’t even get a uninterrupted AM radio streamed on a major artery that runs behind the Fremont factory. Model 3 LTE connectivity may explain earnings uptick in AT&T subscriptions. Does anyone know if the Model 3 compatible with other cellular networks?
No, you can’t change carriers. The car uses LTE which will work on any network (even Verizon). CDMA is primarily used for voice (and limited data where LTE is not installed) on a few carriers, but even that is getting replaced by Voice Over LTE (i.e voip). The reason Tesla uses only AT&T is most likely contractual, not technical.

1FE2FA4D-72F2-4A18-9843-760F046616E2.jpeg
My phone works all the time to unlock the doors, I don’t know why I ordered this fob but it’s cool af looking. I’m goin to krazy glue that bad boy on my dash.

I’m speculating it’s a battery issue with the fob.

I don’t think the X has the same BLE as the 3. If it did they would offer phone as a key as an option on the X. I realize there are lots of concerns with phone as key, but many people like it so why not if the hardware on X & 3 is the same?

The hardware in the cars must be different.

• Informative
Reactions: remlemasi
Hu, but you gotta take out he fob to tap buttons so it’s pointless. I’ve never once tapped my s fob since 2012. It’s in a bag.

If the card doesnt open passenger door thats really dumb and had no idea that was the case.

For the trunk you just open it right? Lift up. It’s not popping all the way open like an s anyway

Reactions: kavyboy
For the trunk you just open it right? Lift up. It’s not popping all the way open like an s anyway

For the trunk you would have to go to the driver's side and tap the card on the pillar and then go to the back and push the button to open the trunk before you can lift it open. With the fob you just walk up to the trunk and press the button on the fob and lift the trunk open.

The fob is way more useful than the card, but could still be better.

Reactions: Deal
For the trunk you would have to go to the driver's side and tap the card on the pillar and then go to the back and push the button to open the trunk before you can lift it open. With the fob you just walk up to the trunk and press the button on the fob and lift the trunk open.

The fob is way more useful than the card, but could still be better.
Assuming your phone doesn’t work then?