Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 is my third Tesla. I have been driving and advocating for Tesla since 2013. I bought the M3 to replace my wife's 2011 LEAF and took delivery in December 2017. The phone as key option has never worked reliably for her (Galaxy 5) and she is seriously fed up with the car. It works with my Galaxy 7 about 90% of the time. Multiple visits to the Service Center with no success though the Galaxy 5 supports the correct bluetooth version. Given the multitude of phones and implementations of bluetooth this has been a major design fail. Clearly, Tesla did not adequately test this function on a wide range of phones. I was told early on that Tesla would provide a fob at no cost when they were available. Now it appears that the fob, which should always have been available, will cost $150 and will not support essential functions of hands free unlocking and locking based on proximity, or summon. This is a major fail. At the least Tesla should have informed us that we may need to purchase newer phones to operate the car. We are very environmentally conscious and my wife refuses to replace a perfectly functioning phone because of Tesla's lack of testing. As a long time Tesla advocate and TSLA owner I have accepted reduced customer service as the user base grew; however, I now find myself reassessing my enthusiasm for Tesla. I have in the past spent countless hours at various car shows displaying my Teslas, especially the M3 in the early days, and sharing my experience driving electric. I am truly and advocate of electric cars and really want Tesla to succeed, This bump in the road is only going to anger more and more people. We early adopters have been extremely tolerant of quirky design choices, always confident that they would be address, and thy always have been. I doubt that new buyers who are not hard core EV advocates will be as tolerant. Hopefully this fob issue will be addressed as other issues have been in the past.
Exactly. Very well said.
Robin

Reactions: Dmagyar
I believe this is the most expensive fob Tesla sells with the least functionality too. Just an insult to those of us who dare to not accept the shoddy engineering with a big smile and koolaid mustache.

My phone works about 25% of the time and never for the trunk. When I go to open the door for my passenger, I have to go to the driver side first to tap the card key before going around to let them in? We are paying dearly for Tesla's crap engineering.
I’m just wondering if you tried another phone? Just if the other phone does not work all the time same maybe there is something wrong with the car. I have the new iPhone XR and it works every time.

So by passive entry, we’re saying that if my wife has the key in her purse, the doors will not unlock by pulling the door handle. If that’s the case, the fob is useless. Just crazy for a pure technology company.

Not useless but a lot less utility than it should have in a car that currently has an average selling price north of $55,000.

Even dumber than this dino-fob that Tesla is using to solve the problem is that Tesla is one of the manufacturers who have not joined the industry group that is working on an NFC standard for cars and mobile devices. You know, the thing Tesla is currently failing at.

The Model 3 is my third Tesla. I have been driving and advocating for Tesla since 2013. I bought the M3 to replace my wife's 2011 LEAF and took delivery in December 2017. The phone as key option has never worked reliably for her (Galaxy 5) and she is seriously fed up with the car. It works with my Galaxy 7 about 90% of the time. Multiple visits to the Service Center with no success though the Galaxy 5 supports the correct bluetooth version. Given the multitude of phones and implementations of bluetooth this has been a major design fail. Clearly, Tesla did not adequately test this function on a wide range of phones. I was told early on that Tesla would provide a fob at no cost when they were available. Now it appears that the fob, which should always have been available, will cost $150 and will not support essential functions of hands free unlocking and locking based on proximity, or summon. This is a major fail. At the least Tesla should have informed us that we may need to purchase newer phones to operate the car. We are very environmentally conscious and my wife refuses to replace a perfectly functioning phone because of Tesla's lack of testing. As a long time Tesla advocate and TSLA owner I have accepted reduced customer service as the user base grew; however, I now find myself reassessing my enthusiasm for Tesla. I have in the past spent countless hours at various car shows displaying my Teslas, especially the M3 in the early days, and sharing my experience driving electric. I am truly and advocate of electric cars and really want Tesla to succeed, This bump in the road is only going to anger more and more people. We early adopters have been extremely tolerant of quirky design choices, always confident that they would be address, and thy always have been. I doubt that new buyers who are not hard core EV advocates will be as tolerant. Hopefully this fob issue will be addressed as other issues have been in the past.

Who told you that you'd be getting a free fob? Tesla have never said this. This was stated in an ElecTrek blog post and like many things was attributed to nameless "Tesla contacts" that the guy running that website seems to call upon all the time even when 1/2 the time the information turns out to be wrong.

So by passive entry, we’re saying that if my wife has the key in her purse, the doors will not unlock by pulling the door handle. If that’s the case, the fob is useless. Just crazy for a pure technology company.

Wonder if the fobs can open the doors when touching the handle, just the model 3 out there now don’t have the technology in the door handle but the newer cars will be adding it

Wonder if the fobs can open the doors when touching the handle, just the model 3 out there now don’t have the technology in the door handle but the newer cars will be adding it

More than likely Tesla will release another fob along with the hardware in the Model 3 to support it. That fob will likely have similar functionality to the X and S.

I have to wonder what kind of hipster dipstick thought that having an unreliable mobile phone, of which there are hundreds of models with widely varying BT specifications would be a great primary entry means to a $50,000+ car.

The only possible explanations;

1. Millennial.
2. Elon.

i keep coming back to this...the number of people who are willing to accept no passive entry (or passive entry that very rarely works) in a $60k car in the year 2018 when my $30k chevy volt that is 5+ years old did this from the jump just boggles my mind.

Well, when the two options are Chevy Volt with Passive Entry or Tesla Model 3 without Passive Entry, it's pretty obvious why there are large number of people who are willing accept the deficiency.

IMHO, without passive entry, the fob is no better than the key card. What’s the difference if I have to pull both of them out in order to use them?
It's roughly the same as a metal key and a mechanical lock, as far as I'm concerned, and even that would be better than the current phone debacle for me personally.
Here's hoping the Model Y has no falcon wings, motorized pop-out handles, handles you have to explain, unreliable phone keys, or nerfed fobs; just normal entry and exit that works.

Who told you that you'd be getting a free fob?
There could be confusion with owners of Model S and X. Those who have a Tesla under warranty and have older 40 bit key fobs can receive one 80 bit key fob. The second one must be purchased for $150.00. This was according to a conversation with Tesla Mobile Service on 11/9/18. More details are at this thread: Tesla Thieves

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Well, when the two options are Chevy Volt with Passive Entry or Tesla Model 3 without Passive Entry, it's pretty obvious why there are large number of people who are willing accept the deficiency.

that is complete nonsense. there is no reason tesla had to release the car in the state it is in...they could have easily included the hardware and a fob that worked with passive entry 100% of the time, but they did not. for a $60k car in 2018, that's inexcusable IMO.

• Love
Reactions: Pueo and voip-ninja
that is complete nonsense. there is no reason tesla had to release the car in the state it is in...they could have easily included the hardware and a fob that worked with passive entry 100% of the time, but they did not. for a $60k car in 2018, that's inexcusable IMO.

Agreed. They messed up. But that doesn't mean my semi-sarcastic post is complete nonsense. Look at how many people chose the Model S over the Mercedes S Class or BMW 7 Series despite it's many "deficiencies." And believe me, there are many...

inexcusable? OK, then don't buy a Model 3. If you already have, apparently you were able to excuse this fault.

Lol Watch now as all those demanding a fob bail.
I don't need to open frunk that often, it's not worth $150 to me to have that work without pulling my phone out. And I don't open the trunk that often either, but at least it sometimes works already, when walk up unlock works (but not reliably) - not worth $150 for this.

For those in Canada or similar places that need fobs for summon, they're still SOL. I rarely use summon and I'm in the states, so whatever.

My phone as key is unreliable as hell, so having a keyfob to make entry reliable would be nice. But if I still have to fiddle with something in my pocket to unlock AND have to then manually lock when I leave (at least walk away lock ALWAYS works already!), what the @#%( am I paying $150 for ?

Unless you need to valet this has almost no value to anyone, and even then if a valet is used to S/X walk up unlock it'll be just that different enough to cause confusion.

The only people this is good for are those that valet often or don't want to carry their phone around. And even then they're getting an experience on part with a $20k car from a decade ago, rather than a $60k car from 2018 (plenty of $25k cars from 2018 have passive entry, so not even meeting that experience)!

Damn right I'm bailing on this keyfob. $150 is a pretty good distance towards just buying a new phone and hoping it works more reliably than my old phone, plus getting the other benefits of a new phone.

Ahem.

Far be it for me to mention that I suspected this would be the case. To all you geniuses (not specifically directed at my Quote) that gave me a 'thumbs down' on my comment, I now remind you of your hubris.

Until next time.
Makes no sense for passive entry to not be supported. X has always had BLE fob with it, and S recently started using the same tech (originally older non-BLE RF). So why the hell can't the 3 use BLE same as X? Clearly, someone at Tesla screwed the pooch at multiple levels (thinking they didn't need a fob, somehow designing the BLE based security system such that it couldn't support one despite already having functioning BLE security system that did, ... )

Like, I don't care if it unfolds mirrors as I approach. As long as the fob is detected in time for me to actually try to open a door/trunk, that's good enough.

I think summon requires proximity detection to determine line-of-sight for safety, and passive entry also depends on proximity detection. So the two things are tied together I guess.
This is part of what baffles me. They have BLE prox for the phone as key functionality already, is it just so garbage they can't support it on the fob?

Hell, it would explain why phone-as-key is so damned unreliable if their prox implementation is trash, in which case instead of fixing a problem they're just pretending it's working which is unacceptable.

inexcusable? OK, then don't buy a Model 3. If you already have, apparently you were able to excuse this fault.

no, i expected the primary method of entering and driving the car to you know, actually work 100% of the time. silly of me to do that, i guess.

good god, the inability of some people to ever say anything even remotely derogatory about tesla is just amazing.