Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob

Will you get a Model 3 Keyfob

• Yes

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 66 41.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 30.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, but I now have a problem of what to do with my house key....

I was looking for a credit card sized 'house key holder' all afternoon... I'm struggling.

Solved :) - No more keys!
This looks better than what I have but I can't see anything about lock compatability. Does it work with multi-point latching systems?

Ive automated my front door lock using an electric latch plate (like apartment blocks use) its fail safe so locked in the event of power failure and with a zwave relay and my home automation system it works awesomely

I have a Yale Conexis L1 on my front door, integrated with my smarthome installation. The door can be unlocked with a card, mini fob, mobile phone using bluetooth (this is a PITA) or, as I prefer, by having it happen when I tell Google to do it :)

As for the Tesla keyfob, I'll see how I get on with the app and a couple of discretely placed NFC stickers first!

Charger port opening and charge port unlocking in the morning are not an issue with the Tesla charger.
Feel a tad smug about it now (yes, yes, it’s more expensive, I know...) :)

I love the Tesla charger features. The problem with it is that it only charges Tesla. That is why I didn't get one (want capability to charge other EVs, like my Mom's Leaf). That's not a complaint, just a wish-life-were-simpler musing.

It does charge other makes of cars, just not all cars, such as leaf's... typically Japanese manufactured cars. Its otherwise a standard, in europe at least, type 2 connector, although apparently there is a switch inside that reduces compatibility with some other vehicles.

I love the Tesla charger features. The problem with it is that it only charges Tesla. That is why I didn't get one (want capability to charge other EVs, like my Mom's Leaf). That's not a complaint, just a wish-life-were-simpler musing.
That is not correct.
It will charge any vehicle with a Mennekes Type 2 socket.
I have two Tesla chargers, one for my M3 and one for my house mate’s BMW i3.
They work flawlessly on both cars :)

I think (but happy to be corrected) that the Leaf has a Type 1 socket, hence your misunderstanding :)

Not hard to adapt a Type 1 to Type 2, or vice versa, although the connectors needed to make an adapter lead are relatively expensive (far more expensive than they should be IMHO).

I have two charge points, one used to be a tethered Type 1, and the other has a Type 2 socket on the front. I used to use the tethered Type 1 back when I had the Prius Plug-in, and all I did when I got the i3 was swap the connector over so the tethered one is now a Type 2. With the soon to be collected M3, I've adapted the Type 2 connector so that it has a "Tesla button", to open the charge port, stop charging, etc.

It's not hard to change connectors, but it does need a hydraulic crimp tool, as all the connector pins/sockets I've seen need crimping, and are too large for a normal hand crimp tool.

Can you let us know how you did this please?

Sure. I was going to make a small 433.92 MHz transmitter module, but decided in the end to just buy this kit: Tesla retrofit button kit - evChargeking

The kit itself seems well made and weatherproof and easily fits inside a Type 2 connector. The easiest version to use is the one with the small battery. The downside of this kit is that fitting the push button is far from easy. There's mention of it, with a photo, in this thread: Phone as key and Tesla WC observations

That is not correct.
It will charge any vehicle with a Mennekes Type 2 socket.
I have two Tesla chargers, one for my M3 and one for my house mate’s BMW i3.
They work flawlessly on both cars :)

I think (but happy to be corrected) that the Leaf has a Type 1 socket, hence your misunderstanding :)
Sorry, I was just reading recent threads, and failed to realize I was on a UK forum. Things are different in the USA where rigid adherence to tradition has left us on different standards than the rest of the world.

FYI Key fob is now available to order from the Tesla online UK shop Model 3 Key Fob

Does anybody know why it's so amazingly expensive? Aside from that I just can't get away from the idea that I would pay extra for a fob that though very handy doesn't really do so much more than key fobs have done for years, and included in the car price... (not having to press a button to open the car is not a must-have feature for me... psychologically it makes me feel the car is less secure) I might just go for it at £50 but not £140...

Some slightly conflicting information on what the fob actually does though.

On the Tesla website in the main description in the store it says:

"No hands required. Locking and unlocking your Model 3 has never been easier. Keep your key fob in your pocket and simply pull on the door handle for easy entry."

But when you look at the support page it says:

"Walk-Away Door Lock for Model 3 operates only when using an authenticated phone. When you walk towards or away from your Model 3 carrying your Key Fob, your car will not automatically unlock or lock."

So what does the fob do, just lock/unlock when you press it?

I found the phone lock/unlock feature very reliable with my iPhone XR. Only had 1 occasion so far where the car didn't unlock.

EDIT: Further reading the website it says if the fob has 'Passive Entry' then it will lock/unlock the car if you've within three feet. If not it wont. If the fob has TESLA printed on the flat side it has Passive Entry, if it has MODEL 3 on the flat side it does not. So does this £140 fob have passive entry or not?