Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob

Will you get a Model 3 Keyfob

• Yes

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 66 41.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 30.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely thinking about it as my wife has had a lot of problems with her phone not connecting.
But just thinking why don't they allow entry with model S or X key if you already have one. Saves having two keys in pocket.
Yes I did try to add the MS key to the M3 but it does not work.

Definitely thinking about it as my wife has had a lot of problems with her phone not connecting.
But just thinking why don't they allow entry with model S or X key if you already have one. Saves having two keys in pocket.
Yes I did try to add the MS key to the M3 but it does not work.

I think the M3 key fob uses Bluetooth connection weren’t the S/X use same proximity tech as other cars. (Sorry I don’t know the exact tech)

In theory the M3 key fob is more secure and less likely to suffer from relay attacks.

Have you checked out what the range is for the key fob. How close does the fob need to be to the car for someone to unlock doors using the handles? Also does the key fob support walk away lock? If so, how quickly does it lock?

Just done a rough and ready check. The fob supports keyless entry, without pressing any buttons, just like a 'phone. It doesn't seem to support walk away lock, AFAICS (might be finger trouble my end, still getting used to settings). The car just locked using the fob button (press the roof) from the very rear of our house, so around 30ft from the car, going through two walls.

I love my M3 but I have to say that this Tesla opening & closing business is, in my opinion, another example of solving a problem that didn't exist (as with the auto wipers with camera and "clever" software instead of a tried and trusted rain sensor like most other cars). I've never had a problem with a standard key fob on any car ... totally reliable and it only opens the car when you press a button, which you do as you walk towards the car so the car lights up and is ready to enter (unlike the Tesla as I fumble in the dark). Press to lock on a fob.. then you know it's going to lock ... instead of checking your Tesla app later just in case it didn't automatically lock behind you! I really don't need an auto proximity function. What was the problem? My own phone is flaky unless the app is activated first, which is not instant... my wife's phone works 90% of the time but not 100%. The card is OK but placing it against a wet car and then putting it wet onto the centre console is less than ideal. I used the Fiesta today and (despite the comparatively agricultural driving experience) the entry exit process was perfectly fine, and I got 2 fobs with the car, of course, at no extra charge!

Just done a rough and ready check. The fob supports keyless entry, without pressing any buttons, just like a 'phone. It doesn't seem to support walk away lock, AFAICS (might be finger trouble my end, still getting used to settings). The car just locked using the fob button (press the roof) from the very rear of our house, so around 30ft from the car, going through two walls.

good info. Any idea how close the key needs to be to the car for passive entry to work? Passive entry with my phone works from nearly 6m away, which I’m not a fan of. One of the main reason I’d want the key fob is if it would restrict passive entry so that it only works when the key fob is literally next to the car.

Hard to be sure, but it seems to be around a couple of metres or so at the most, probably less. I park about 2m from our front door, and with me locking that door my wife couldn't get into the car until I turned around. Hard to be sure, but I know that the car doesn't detect the fob when it's sat inside the house about 3m away, as I left it on a table in the house, went out to the car to get something and it wouldn't open.

• Helpful
Reactions: tess19
Does the M3 key fob enable you to end charge/unlock charge port without having to go into the car and click on the screen (or having to open the app and do it from there)?

If you have the fob in your pocket and click the button on the charge adapter it should open the port and allow charging.

Sometimes you need to touch the driver side rear door handle to ‘wake’ the car up first.

The same for unlocking, you might need to ‘wake’ the car up before it will unlock the adapter from the port. Sometimes you might need to open and close the door to really wake the car up. But in either case it is hands free.