Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Keyfob embargo lifted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it mean I no longer have to give my iPhone to the valet?

NzAnWq3.jpg

Source: [reddit.com]

I am assuming Tesla will need to implement PIN to drive on the 3 before they release the key fobs.
The reason for PIN to Drive on the S is because 2012-2016 (pre-facelift) cars used an insecure fob authentication method which could be intercepted with a man-in-the-middle attack to steal the car. Starting with the X and on facelifted S they started using the current BLE fobs. The 3 will have the same secure fobs.

The reason for PIN to Drive on the S is because 2012-2016 (pre-facelift) cars used an insecure fob authentication method which could be intercepted with a man-in-the-middle attack to steal the car. Starting with the X and on facelifted S they started using the current BLE fobs. The 3 will have the same secure fobs.

Tesla is rolling out extra layer of security with ‘improved cryptography’ key fob and optional ‘PIN to Drive’ feature

While the new fobs have “robust cryptography,” they are still vulnerable to the attacks (not like the old fobs though). The Model X fob has only been provided on the S since June 2018. I hope the fob for the 3 has the same security (as the car was not initially designed to work with a fob) but the article does state they will introduce PIN to drive on the 3.

Summons in Canada? Perhaps

I’m not trying to be a dick but this drives me nuts and I need to correct it every time I see it. The feature is called “summon”. A “summonS” is what you get when you’re ordered to appear before a court.

Anyway, yes this key fob should support summon. Check this article out, it details how to use summon with the key fob for the Model S: How To Use the Tesla Auto Summoning Feature (Video Demo)