Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 lacking in Fit and Finish in Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 Upper trunk view.jpg
To my surprise TESLA did not complete the interior install of the Model 3 to the basic standards you would expect when spending $30K or more for a car. This is not a base car, this is a TESLA and it should be just as mind blowing in the fit and finish as it is in the tech. This is the view of the trunk when you look inside and up.

There's nothing wrong with that picture. That is the directly underneath what would normally be the parcel shelf and completely level. The person would have to stick their head in the trunk to see that. There is a screw sticking out of the right side of mine which could use a piece of plastic to cover it.

If you want to nitpick, you could say they should have supplied a trunk mat since the frunk has one.

• Helpful
Reactions: pikachu
It's the inside of a trunk. Why waste materials (i.e. cost, weight, etc..) for something that is not needed. Only slight reason I could think would be for sound deadening, but the inner parcel shelf panel could do that and besides there's a big hole that noise will come in anyway. Are you going to lay down face up in your trunk? I think Tesla has more important things to worry about.

I have the trunk mat.. an ideal mat would have allowed some access to the generous storage space at the bottom of the trunk... seems like it could have been better designed if sold as an OEM trunk mat

View attachment 278348 To my surprise TESLA did not complete the interior install of the Model 3 to the basic standards you would expect when spending $30K or more for a car. This is not a base car, this is a TESLA and it should be just as mind blowing in the fit and finish as it is in the tech. This is the view of the trunk when you look inside and up.
Looks a lot better than my fabric covered cardboard on my Model S's. :)

I have the trunk mat.. an ideal mat would have allowed some access to the generous storage space at the bottom of the trunk... seems like it could have been better designed if sold as an OEM trunk mat

Unfortunately the trunk mat for Model S has the same flaw to this day.

But another downside of covering the Model 3 trunk with this mat is that you don’t get to see the cool large Tesla “T” embedded in the carpet.

He probably wants Alcantara in the trunk. :D
Actually Alcantara would be nice. I'm not trying to be nitpicky and I understand the value of the car is in the tech not the shell. As I tell my wife, its a basic car in trims of fit and finish but a kick ass computer. Or in value terms a $20K car with a $40K gas tank.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Don't get me wrong, love the car, in fact there are days I love it more than the MS.

Actually Alcantara would be nice. I'm not trying to be nitpicky and I understand the value of the car is in the tech not the shell. As I tell my wife, its a basic car in trims of fit and finish but a kick ass computer. Or in value terms a $20K car with a $40K gas tank.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Don't get me wrong, love the car, in fact there are days I love it more than the MS.

Personally I don't think it's remotely like a basic car in terms of fit and finish.

View attachment 278577 On another note, but still the trunk, Tesla's cargo mat is a good fit. Happy with it.

I agree Weathertech does nice job on the Tesla mats. I have used them for years. The Floorliners are great in snow and ice. To accommodate the lower storage the mat would need an opening around the lid with a containment lip and then another removable inner mat with a lip to expose the storage access door. I think for day to day use I’ll just put rarely used items in the storage bin. The large mat is easy enough to lift up to access it. Same issue in my current SUV. Rather have the larger one piece mat.

Reactions: Nevek