Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR-AWD 2017/2018 past year pricing - Owners chime in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Model 3 during Q3 of 2019.
My Base Price was 35,000$ with LR-AWD was another 12,990.
My Fed Rebate stands at 1875$. I know different state offers various rebates so I don't really want to get into state rebate debate.
Would like a Price comparison from previous owners on how much their
LR-AWD cost was when Fed rebate was at 7500$
LR-AWD cost was when Fed rebate was at 3500$.

Interested to find out on how much Tesla has changed the pricing due to decrease in the Fed rebates
upload_2019-10-7_9-34-56.png

Stach, you aren't factoring in Autopilot, which was $3k back then and not included in the price like it is now. It's also still $3k if you didn't buy it then and want to add it to your car. So savings will vary depending on if you bought that or not. Also sales tax comes out lower if the price is lower.

I did a cost comparison chart for from when I bought to July 2019 (pricing hasn't changed since then). Note my tax credit was not the full amount due to tax liability. If it were the full amount, the price savings now would come out to $3803.

eMUMnMl.png

I bought a LR AWD - MSM - aeros - black interior - EAP in October 2018 for $52500 after the tax credit. While EAP is gone now and not directly comparable, the same car is cheaper with basic autopilot ($50k) and about the same if both cars had full autopilot (~$56).

Magnus - when was autopilot ever $3k? FSD was $3k on top of the $5k EAP so the total for FSD was $8k until they added the standard autopilot for $2k.

Also note that if you consider a white Model 3, it used to be a $1500 option from 2019/02/28 - 2019/03-21 and now it is standard. So technically a white Model 3 LR AWD today has $4500 worth of upgrades (AP + premium paint) built into the $48k price making it $41,615 after federal tax credit in an apples to apples comparison to March pricing/tax credit.

Last edited:
Also note that if you consider a white Model 3, it used to be a $1500 option from 2019/02/28 - 2019/03-21 and now it is standard. So technically a white Model 3 LR AWD today has $4500 worth of upgrades (AP + premium paint) built into the $48k price making it $41,615 after federal tax credit in an apples to apples comparison to March pricing/tax credit.
Yeah but black was a default color which is 750$ more now.
That's why we are taking into effect only the base car config with whatever color that was offered at that time with a 18" wheels and standard black interior rather than 19" wheels or white interior and other paint which will throw the equation wayward

So here's what I paid vs. what it would cost me today ... Difference is in the noise. Less than the cost of a good bottle of wine.

View attachment 464603
From your equation if you take off the 1500$ for a white car and if you did whatever the paint that was offered as free and keeping paint at zero cost and a tax credit of 3750 the car comes to 51950 (I took off the 1500 on white paint)
Question is at 5000 EAP, was Auto Pilot included?

From your equation if you take off the 1500$ for a white car and if you did whatever the paint that was offered as free and keeping paint at zero cost and a tax credit of 3750 the car comes to 51950 (I took off the 1500 on white paint)
Question is at 5000 EAP, was Auto Pilot included?

The only configuration that matters is the one you want to buy.
I wanted white paint. Had nothing to do with price - I wanted white.
The $5000 wasn't EAP, that was for the full-self driving package. Autopilot was included with the vehicle when I purchased it.

So my full, grand total payment to Tesla was $57,200. Then I'm going to get $3750 in tax credit back, so the net cost is $53,450.
If I bought that exact same car, same options, same colors, exactly the same, right this minute, I'd cut Tesla a check for $55,525. Then, I'd only get $1875 back on my taxes, making the net cost $53,650.

If I hadn't bought in April, and waited 6 months, I'd have "cost" myself $200 by waiting.

And even worse, I'd have been paying for fuel the entire time, and (gasp!) not driving a Tesla the last 6 months.

I kinda hit right about at the peak of effectiveness for the vehicle I wanted, in the configuration I wanted.

edit: Updated chart attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 3.32.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 3.32.32 PM.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 60