Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely agree!!! All of this breathless holding, cancelling, removing holds, unmatching VINs is a bunch of nonsense.

Everybody's situation is different and unique and cannot be dismissed as nonsense. Tesla has a reason for allowing config changes and holds since it provides maximum flexibility to the customer.

The current deviation in EDD windows cannot be attributed to holds mainly. Given the supply chain issues (Tesla is handling this well compared to other companies but is not immune to it) and given that Covid is affecting Tesla's and other suppliers' employees , fluctuations in EDD's are expected.

RECEIVED MY VIN YESTERDAY MORNING!!! YEAH!!!!! Recieved a text and e-mail a couple hours later to schedule delivery. To my suprise, I don't have to go to the delivery center to pick it up. They are delivering it to my house on 1/21. So excited. After delivery, I'll check what chip, 12v battery and if it has the rear side double pane windows and report back. VIN is 161***

M3LR / Blue / Black / 18" / No FSD
OD 10/30/2021
1st VIN Posted 12/21/2021
Received Schedule Delivery Text on 12/21/2021
Released VIN and placed delivery hold on 12/23/2021
Released hold on 1/1/2022
1/2/2022: EDD 1/13/2022 to 2/10/2022
1/6/2022: EDD 1/14/2022 to 1/28/2022
1/11/2022: EDD 1/13/2022 to 2/10/2022
1/14/2022: EDD 1/16/2022 to 1/29/2022
1/17/2022: EDD 1/19/2022 to 1/28/2022
1/18/2022: VIN RECEIVED!!!! # 161*** - Est Delivery 1/20/2022 to 1/24/2022
1/18/2022: Scheduled Home Delivery for 1/21/2022 between 0800 to 1200
Hey that was supposed to be my car. 🤣

Same config, same order date, wrong coast. 😞

Congratulations

You are correct, but I think any person that has perused this thread can say with a pretty high level of certainty that a large majority of the holds and releases have been due to the potential rebate and new hardware...........IMO Sorry bout your luck, but if you hold more than once, back of the line you go...........the many ruin it for the few that actually need to hold.
Just to be clear, I would be OK if I am bumped to the back of the line because of multiple holds, however, if you do not change your config/color and put multiple holds, it will not affect EDD's for customers who ordered after you since Tesla knows about the holds for that particular config and can forecast the EDDs accordingly; i.e., the line order does not change with multiple holds, i.e., no unfair situation.

Changing the color/config by the customer is in my opinion the real issue here; i.e., my argument is that a color/config change should definitely put you to the back since in that case you are altering the line for another configuration and could potentially push out the EDDs for people who ordered after you if you are not put to the back of that line.

Just to be clear, I would be OK if I am bumped to the back of the line because of multiple holds, however, if you do not change your config/color and put multiple holds, it will not affect EDD's for customers who ordered after you since Tesla knows about the holds for that particular config and can forecast the EDDs accordingly; i.e., the line order does not change with multiple holds, i.e., no unfair situation.

Changing the color/config by the customer is in my opinion the real issue here; i.e., my argument is that a color/config change should definitely put you to the back since in that case you are altering the line for another configuration and could potentially push out the EDDs for people who ordered after you if you are not put to the back of that line.
I get that but holding and changing things so many times creates a logistical nightmare and will undoubtedly bog things down from Tesla's end, obviously increasing delays and everyone's EDDs.

Folks, can we stop with trying to prove one way or another. So what if Ryzen is better, so what if it's not. Let people have their choice. We live in a free country for crying out loud, just because I believe Jeeps are piece of junk, doesn't mean I go to my friends owning jeep and tell them how unreliable they are. If people want their Ryzen, let them have it. If people want to take the car now, it's still heck alot better than virtually anything else in the market.

BESIDES, this is a WAITING ROOM.

BESIDES, this is a WAITING ROOM.
This waiting room feels like we are all at the airport, waiting for our delayed flights, getting grumpy and frustrated while trying to pass the time... We all keep going to the kiosk to look for an update on our flights, but no change or only further delayed. And a lucky few are finally able to board 🙃😭

The thing that I am going to actively enforce is conversation about whether someone should or should not be waiting for new processor chips.

(moderator note)

Re posting the note above. Any "Ryzen" talk should be limited SOLELY to "I got it in my car, or the SA said its not in my car". Anything else I am considering discussing why people should wait or not, including posting performance benchmarks, etc.

Those posts have been moved to the following thread:

Feel free to have the "ryzen" discussion there, if it relates to something other than "the SA said my car has it" or "the SA said my car has intel atom"

My guess is that's not the way it works. I'd guess that there is only one line for the AWD until you get close enough to be assigned a build date and VIN. So any changes made before then wouldn't change anyone else's place in line. The fact that Tesla allows you to change the configuration only before you have a build date / VIN suggest to me that this might be true.

You are correct, but I think any person that has perused this thread can say with a pretty high level of certainty that a large majority of the holds and releases have been due to the potential rebate and new hardware...........IMO Sorry bout your luck, but if you hold more than once, back of the line you go...........the many ruin it for the few that actually need to hold.
I would say that is true for this thread, but how much of the real world does this really apply to? How many normal buyers even know you can put it on hold?

I personally think you should be given one hold without an issue. Maybe a second but it has to be reviewed and approved. I pushed out my S one time. I planned a work trip around the EDD that was holding pretty steady for months so didn't anticipate it moving too much. Sure as I had my trip all finalized, Tesla chaos monkey (TCM?), through a big monkey wrench and moved my EDD up almost a month. Since I had a few trips planned I just had it pushed until this year as there was nobody who could take delivery of it for me.

Hopefully the new dates are pretty firm for our S and 3 otherwise I am going to be in a situation where trips may impact delivery. If they gave you wider than a 3 day window to pick up, it would be much easier.

All the people gaming the system is probably why the raised the ordering fee as well.

I personally think you should be given one hold without an issue. Maybe a second but it has to be reviewed and approved...
A review/approval process would be extra work on Tesla employees and would complicate things further. Maybe in this case what is suggested earlier makes sense; i.e., one hold should be ok, all subsequent holds or any color/config changes should put you to the back of the line. Right now I think the only enforcement by Tesla is that you cannot hold more than 90 days from your original order date.

RECEIVED MY VIN YESTERDAY MORNING!!! YEAH!!!!! Recieved a text and e-mail a couple hours later to schedule delivery. To my suprise, I don't have to go to the delivery center to pick it up. They are delivering it to my house on 1/21. So excited. After delivery, I'll check what chip, 12v battery and if it has the rear side double pane windows and report back. VIN is 161***

M3LR / Blue / Black / 18" / No FSD
OD 10/30/2021
1st VIN Posted 12/21/2021
Received Schedule Delivery Text on 12/21/2021
Released VIN and placed delivery hold on 12/23/2021
Released hold on 1/1/2022
1/2/2022: EDD 1/13/2022 to 2/10/2022
1/6/2022: EDD 1/14/2022 to 1/28/2022
1/11/2022: EDD 1/13/2022 to 2/10/2022
1/14/2022: EDD 1/16/2022 to 1/29/2022
1/17/2022: EDD 1/19/2022 to 1/28/2022
1/18/2022: VIN RECEIVED!!!! # 161*** - Est Delivery 1/20/2022 to 1/24/2022
1/18/2022: Scheduled Home Delivery for 1/21/2022 between 0800 to 1200
Jealous! Same config, same area (Burbank)!

Order Update:

09/26/21 Ordered
09/28/21 VIN offered, requested hold - wanted 2022. Held placed until 01/01/22
12/29/21 Hold came off automatically. TBD showed until 01/03.
01/03/22 February 12 - March 12
01/04/22 January 8 - 22
01/09/22 January 14-28
01/15/22 AM HOURS January 18-28
01/15/22 1130PM PST VIN & Vision agreement. Delivery by 22nd date available.

VIN 1583XX

I need to pickup vehicle at Tesla center not home delivery. No option for that on the schedule link from Tesla.
01/16/22 Text received to schedule delivery.
01/17/22 (Tesla center closed Mondays)Text received with stronger wording to schedule delivery ASAP or we may need to release this vehicle to another waiting customer. I responded but as mentioned - store closed.
01/18/22 Text received even more stronger wording to schedule delivery (for 01/22) "by tonight or order will be placed on hold and vehicle moved to another customer"!
01/18/22 10am The store opens and advised the car is still at factory. Date range moved to 25-26th, scheduled pickup for 26th.

Now waiting for 26th. In the mean time my last trade offer when the DIY trade portal was working was $9,7XX, carmax $10,700. Now the trade value via SA is $8,800, carmax $10,100. With a $756 sales tax value at Tesla I'm still deciding what to do. A big part of me wants to just hold on until after delivery just for all the "what if" scenarios that could happen & if carmax returns with same trade value after this 7 day window I will net a few Benjamins.

Reactions: CarlThompson