Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current EDD is Jan 24 (today) to Feb 6, but I have yet to receive a VIN. So you don't necessarily get the VIN when the early EDD date arrives.
Hoping you wake up with a VIN! And yeah, one of my early EDD's was a short window of 12/20-12/31 and I got really excited, and then it just kept bumping the EDD back. But, here's hoping this time the short, 2 week EDD means that VIN is coming soon! :)

Anyone know if there’s an Atari cheat code to get your EDD to move 😩
Well, I think a number of us on here recently got 2 week EDD time frames, so either we should see some VINS this week, or a bunch of unhappy posts about yet another new EDD. LOL Usually my EDD moves after it's been within the new range for a day or two, then they push it out with a new EDD. But yours is a month out still, so could change at random anytime.

Reactions: EvDoss
Well, I think a number of us on here recently got 2 week EDD time frames, so either we should see some VINS this week, or a bunch of unhappy posts about yet another new EDD. LOL Usually my EDD moves after it's been within the new range for a day or two, then they push it out with a new EDD. But yours is a month out still, so could change at random anytime.
Yeah, I have 1/25-2/8 and hoping a VIN will come soon. I’m just next door in Arizona, so hopefully we will all get ours soon.

• Love
Reactions: Doggerton
Sadly the amount of model 3s being delivered to PA right now is abysmal, not sure what's going on but only seeing a handful delivered in the entire state per week is depressing. I guess the upside is that they are all low to mid 15x so all Intel.

When I ordered I really didn't expect my config to be "rare" but here we are...3+ months later with a EDD 2 months from now....

(Details in sig)

Sadly the amount of model 3s being delivered to PA right now is abysmal, not sure what's going on but only seeing a handful delivered in the entire state per week is depressing. I guess the upside is that they are all low to mid 15x so all Intel.

When I ordered I really didn't expect my config to be "rare" but here we are...3+ months later with a EDD 2 months from now....

(Details in sig)
How are you finding deliveries by state to see the numbers?

I am still waiting…but started to think about the charger. I will have an electrician to run wire from basement sub panel to garage regardless. I don’t know if I want to just go with a 14-50 or bite the bullet to get the wall charger (another ~$600) so that I can keep my mobile charger in the car??🤔
Really just depends on your area and how you are going to use the car. I can't think of any situation I'd find myself in where I'd need an emergency charge with the mobile connector. Although I live in SoCal so covered in Superchargers, Non-Tesla DCFC chargers, and a public L2 charger on every block. I also don't tend to take roadtrips in remote areas. So for me, it was worth it to use the included mobile charger as my home charging solution. Depending on your own circumstances, it may be worth it just biting the bullet and getting a separate cable.

Reactions: TesEv
Thanks for confirming it. My plan now is to install a 14-50 but “wired with 6/3 Romex and 60A breaker” for now. If extended, I may just switch out the receptacle with Tesla wall charger.
Not sure about the plug your installing but you would only need 6/2 for the tesla charger, 2 hots and a ground. There's no neutral. Ground isn't counted in wire unless its sjo cord.

• Helpful
Reactions: TesEv
Careful. 6/3 Romex isn't rated for 60A, only 55A, which means you can only use a 50A breaker as they don't make 55A breakers. This only slightly reduces the full potential charge rate of the Tesla wall charger. I installed both a 14-50 receptacle and Tesla wall charger in 2 locations in my garage using 6/3 Romex since it gives me more flexibility for how the cars are parked as well as for any possibility of 2 EVs in the future.
Your almost right but looking in the wrong column 99% chance they are using THHN which is rated for 75amps when copper. You could even jump down 1 column and it would still be rated for 65amps. In my 17 years as an electrician I have never even used the types of wire that says its only rated for 55amps

Yes I just read something about 55A max for 6/3 romex. I am comparing individual 6awg or go 4/3 or just stay with 50A and not max out the wall charger capability. I original thought the wall charger max out at 60A x 0.8 = 48A so 6/3 romex is ok but I guess not for the code.😕
Just realized he said romex but he can still use a 60amp breaker 240.4 allows you to go up a breaker size when its the only thing on the circuit and at full load still won't be over current, which it won't at full load the tesla charger only pulls 48amps and following the 60°C chart at 55amps hes still good

At a given amps (up to 32 anyway) the performance is going to be exactly the same. What I mean is, if one puts in a 40amp circuit thats connected to a 14-50 (or 6-50 ) outlet, the speed that would charge at is 32 amps (80% of 40amps) and either a wall connector or the mobile connector would be the exact same speed.

Where the wall connector is "faster" (for the vehicle we are talking about in this thread which is the LR tesla model 3) is that it supports up to a 60amp circuit (48amp charging) which is the fastest the car can go for Level 2 home charging. If one puts a 14-50 outlet in, with a 50 amp circuit, which would technically allow 40amp charging (80% rule), the mobile connector will still only go 32amps because thats its max.

Conversely, a lot of new owners think they need to keep the mobile connector in the car (I know I did, and I read about it daily here in fact), but it usually isnt the case unless you are one who goes off the beaten path a lot.

In the more than 3 years I have had my model 3, the only times I have used my mobile connector while traveling somewhere, were places I knew I was going to use it (mother in laws house for holidays for example).

I have a wall connector, and will admit freely that part of why I have it is because it "looks more finished" than the mobile connector. There is nothing wrong with using the mobile connector long term, though, lots do (maybe even more than buy the wall connector).
My current setup is a Wall Connector plugged into a 14-50 outlet with a 60amp circuit, and I'm getting 45-50 mph charging speed allowing 48 amp charging.
When I plug in a Mobile Connector into the same 14-50 outlet, it only allows 32 amps charging, and it's reduced to approx 30-35 mph charging speed.

Attachments

• 20211207_105849.jpg
    20211207_105849.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220121_194810.jpg
    20220121_194810.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Crany
I also did the wall charger - and actually went with ChargePoint because local utility was giving $500 off plus smart charging rates for compatible chargers (Tesla not being on the list). Hopefully this doesn't turn into a massive pain, but I can always swap wall unit with no real loss because the ChargePoint was soooo discounted...
I'm sure you could get a Wall Connector, then easily sell your ChargePoint on eBay or whatever...and the proceeds from the sale could cover most of the cost of your Wall Connector..especially since you got such a heavy discount on the ChargePoint.

Did it come with a front license plate, or did you have to buy something? I think we are required to have them here in CA, though half the cars I see on the road only have the rear one....
Yes, it came with a plastic license plate mount that is affixed to your front bumper with 2-sided tape. They put that plastic bracket in a sleeve in your trunk and the 2nd temp plate attached to your paperwork. CA does require a front and rear license plate mounted, but I've rarely seen a tesla or similar vehicle types have a front plate mounted. There are other aftermarket options for the front license plate bracket, so its not bolted or taped onto your front bumper if you really want to mount that front plate.

Reactions: Doggerton