Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've transitioned from anxiously waiting for MY VIN to anxiously waiting for ANYONE to get their VIN. I don't recall the last time I've seen somebody announce that they've received their VIN in here. So I turned to the spreadsheet. According to that, VINS have been still being assigned. But certainly seemed to have slowed down A LOT. The last VIN assigned was Tue Mar 29. That's one VIN in the last 10 days.

Also, I'm with those who haven't seen any changes to their EDDs in a long time. It's been about 45 days for me.

I'm at 40 days and 5 EDD's. Last EDD was on Monday 3/28. Getting close to the most recent EDD, so I'm hoping this is my last one.
ordered day before you. I hope ours VINS are assigned soon!

I know there's been a lot of hit or miss with SA experiences, but I thought I'd share mine:

Our VIN had just shown up a couple of days after the EDD narrowed to May 6-10. Since we would have about a 6hr drive to our Salt Lake City pick-up from Laramie (this was the only delivery option I was presented despite Denver area locations being much closer), I text messaged our SA to explain the situation and ask if there was anyway to set our pick-up time for the Saturday or the Sunday even if we haven't been sent the scheduling notification.

I got a response within a few hours, totally understanding, and they set our delivery time slot for end-of-day Saturday, "pending arrival and inspection".

Hopefully I'm not jinxing it, but it was a welcome response given some of the complaints and experiences others have described. It was only our second interaction after 105 days, but I thought it was nice. Between delivery scheduling and a new Star Trek series premiering, May 2022 is looking up! 🤓
That’s awesome. I had a similar situation with the El Paso store being an hour from me, but I’ll be picking up in Colorado Springs instead. I asked about picking up in El Paso, but was told it was only possible if I was going to register the car in Texas. I could have done that if I wanted to, but New Mexico is way cheaper. I’m paying ~$35 a year right now.

Reactions: theorama
Here is some info about Tesla Finance which is not common knowledge.

Tesla partners typically approve loan based on the percentage cost of the total vehicle. So e.g If you car+tax+registration cost ~60k, they would approve a max of ~47k with 13k downpayment. If you then add FSD (or change color etc.) in your order, your approved amount would automatically increase and you would have to make a downpayment of ~16k (not 13k + 12k =25k). The same goes for removing anything.

Based on what I have seen, the current minimum downpayment for a Model 3 LR is ~13k.
That's not at all true for me. I was approved with the default of $4500 down. I'll either stay with Tesla or go with my credit union.

For those who received a refund (or got any response) regarding the wall charger price change, did you email: [email protected]? I reached out on the 29th and have not received any messages back (automated or from a person). Just want to make sure it's the right email lol.
It's only been two days for me but they haven't responded when I used that address.

For those who received a refund (or got any response) regarding the wall charger price change, did you email: [email protected]? I reached out on the 29th and have not received any messages back (automated or from a person). Just want to make sure it's the right email lol.
Yes, that was the email address I used and I got an automated reply immediately afterwards.

Reactions: BaconLord47
yeah, I used that address as well. They got back to me in a few hours and got the refund. I would send another email if you haven't hear back in days.

Reactions: BaconLord47
I have prob the stupidest question anyone is going to ask today or maybe all time, but here goes.

Is the ED date the expected date the VIN will be assigned + transport time to the service center or is it the expected date it's going to be at the service center for pickup?

IE: current EDD is June 8. Is that the date its going to be available for pickup or is that a VIN assignment date, then you have to schedule out the pickup date/time for a week or two afterward (in my area typically).

*Edited for clarity.
Available for pickup.
I got my VIN ~2 weeks before I actually could touch my car.
Sometimes the vehicle doesn't pass final inspection so the EDD is pushed back to give them time to diagnose and fix issues, or worst case, you get another VIN.

Reactions: ILMMYP
As a SW engineer I think the EDD is just a system that lives on top of the other system. It knows the order date and can make predictions when it's likely the car is going to get built / assigned. But there are a lot of variables that play into the reality of it, that the system doesn't know about.
Like pulling cars onto a delivery truck to maximize load to a certain destination, cancellations and supply chain issues.
That would very well work with the SA statement that the original date is the most accurate. There are a few freak cases where folks get their cars ahead of time, but might just be "there's now a red LR sitting here that could fit onto the truck that goes to XYZ so let's load it up and assign".

As a QA engineer I wonder what was the business requirement and acceptance criteria for the EDD feature, and how anyone in their right mind signed off on it?
As a Machine Learning Engineer, EDDs are only as accurate as the ML model behind them, which are often pretty accurate.

As a Machine Learning Engineer I also think that the QA folks tend to make statements like "how anyone in their right mind signed off on it", while knowing absolutely nothing about the system itself. :p

wait... this is not my team's internal Slack channel...

Back on topic. Since my EDD was moved up I decided to call the SA to ask how accurate the EDD window is and he said it's fairly accurate. He also explained to me that Shanghai is opening up so parts production should be ramped up therefore my EDD will be ahead of schedule.
Interesting. When I first ordered my sa from Richmond said the same thing but as I have been seeing too many movements and edd he told me to just ignore my edd and wait for the call.

Anyone else have an SA who just doesn’t reply to texts? It’s been a couple of days and I can’t get a text back.
Call the main Tesla number. They will ask you for zipcode and then connect to you an SA either in the main office, or the SC closest to your zipcode.

I typically only use the text message for "homework" i.e I have some request that the SA doesnt know over the call. So they do their homework and respond to me over the text. For all other things, the phone call back feature works best.

Reactions: jpaychek
Yep. It was probably better before the entire supply chain collapsed.
I think that's the answer; the system was designed for a different production environment. That huge jump in everyone's dates around mid-April could have been as a result of some part going missing like the connector bundle or the charging ECU. The estimation software was simpleminded about reacting and just said "Well, it looks like everything will have to come to a halt for 4 weeks" because it wasn't really designed to deal with this boundary condition. Instead, Tesla just kept motoring along, dealing with the problem creatively so that the assembly line continued to kick out vehicles. Magically, dates have been coming back in dramatically.

They may not be able to get rid of the EDD generator possibly because they can't do updates to every customer's EDD by hand. That said, perhaps they could provide supply data by hand so that the generator could be kept under control. It's probably valuable for changing estimates for other factors as well.

Then again, it may be undocumented code, written by some genius guy who used all one-letter variable names and put a comment at the top that reads "Don't change anything here". He also doesn't work at Tesla anymore, having retired after cashing out his stock options.

Around 7:30am this morning, I received a slightly adjusted EDD. It was May 3-May 17th, now it is May 5th-17th. No VIN.

Critchamc, I'm curious if yours was also moved out...I'm guessing not since you haven't hit your window yet. Based on your sig, I'm also assuming no VIN. Any contact with the Reno center?
No change for me- still 5/7-5/21. But I did see another Reno person on Reddit say their window went to 5/5-5/15 this morning. Nope- no vin in the app or source. We did get the trade in text from the Reno SA but that’s it and it was just a canned text.

Reactions: phishphan