Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And then it'll also depend what you do in the following days - you can "catch up" easily if most days are a light commute.
You have ~300 miles to play with.
Haha I see I ruffled a few feathers. Yes the mobile charger is great if that's your only option but if you can get away with a 14-50 I think it is the best compromise. Cheap(er) and a little bit more wiggle room if you go over 15 miles a day :)

Reactions: Originalando
Haha I see I ruffled a few feathers. Yes the mobile charger is great if that's your only option but if you can get away with a 14-50 I think it is the best compromise. Cheap(er) and a little bit more wiggle room if you go over 15 miles a day :)
;)

Yeah the electrician that came in to do my assessment also said long term the mobile charger isn't a great idea - I assume because of the thermal cycling/long continuous draw on a residential 15A circuit.

And I think the cutoff temp is something like 0F-10F where the mobile charger won't cut it if you live anywhere that get's that cold in the winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeatherW22
Yeah the electrician that came in to do my assessment also said long term the mobile charger isn't a great idea - I assume because of the thermal cycling/long continuous draw on a residential 15A circuit.
I never thought about that side of it before but I guess it's a good point. I'm gonna do more research into that thanks

What exactly did he say was the issue with the charger on the circuit

Edit: you added that part in about the temperature after ;) but that's honestly a deal breaker then. Sometimes we get at or near there in the dead of winter. Imagine thinking your charging your car only to find it dead because of the cold. Tesla should be a little more up front about that

Last edited:
If I had to do it over I would have just bought the wall charger and not this 3rd party one on a 14-50. I’ve had a heck of a time with trying to get a Bryant outlet to work right so I’m back on the Legrand the electrician installed. It’s so hot here that I dropped the amps to 24a as the plug/cord from the outlet to the charger was very warm to the touch. The outlet and the trim wasn’t as warm as the plug thank goodness. What sucks is now that we have a LR it will take it all night to charge to 90% charging at the 24a.

If I had to do it over I would have just bought the wall charger and not this 3rd party one on a 14-50. I’ve had a heck of a time with trying to get a Bryant outlet to work right so I’m back on the Legrand the electrician installed. It’s so hot here that I dropped the amps to 24a as the plug/cord from the outlet to the charger was very warm to the touch. The outlet and the trim wasn’t as warm as the plug thank goodness. What sucks is now that we have a LR it will take it all night to charge to 90% charging at the 24a.
That was why I got the Tesla charger. Was debating a nema and a 3rd party but in the end I said screw it for 400$ just get the first party system that I "know" will work. Fingers crossed that is the truth once I actually get the car

I’m tempted to change my exterior from white to blue. Just worried it would delay delivery. 😫
I changed my interior mine on June 26 and my EDD did not change at all. Not really sure what would happen if you did change in any way. For me, I decided I wanted the colour I liked best and if the date changed negatively I would be fine with it.

I’m tempted to change my exterior from white to blue. Just worried it would delay delivery. 😫
Honestly I see so many white teslas that when I see a blue or red or the very rare black it does make me turn my head.

Based on your EDD you might still have a little time to change it without changing your delivery time.

If it's what you want go for it

;)

And I think the cutoff temp is something like 0F-10F where the mobile charger won't cut it if you live anywhere that get's that cold in the winter.
I honestly never thought to look at low temp cutoff so I thank you for that.

Tesla shows the rated range of the mobile connector between -22F and +122F. That lower limit is definitely possible in the Chicago area, but is definitely an outlier for actual temperature (not wind chill) and the protection of the detached garage should help a little.

I honestly never thought to look at low temp cutoff so I thank you for that.

Tesla shows the rated range of the mobile connector between -22F and +122F. That lower limit is definitely possible in the Chicago area, but is definitely an outlier for actual temperature (not wind chill) and the protection of the detached garage should help a little.
Well I'm sure the rated operating temperature range is accurate - what I meant is that with the 5-15 adapter equipped you only get 1.4kW of power, and the BMS turns on the 6kW heaters to keep the battery warm if it gets cold enough - so you can have a situation where if you plug in for the night, and if its cold enough, you will actually lose range.

🚨PSA🚨

Corded mobile connector is in stock as of this post. Just placed an order myself.

This is the one with the permanent/fixed 14-50 plug and charges up to 40amps. The regular UMC with interchangeable adapters only charges up to 32amps.