Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 10.15.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 10.15.20 PM.png
    559.9 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Bestie_n_Tessi
The final thing I'll say is a few months before I ordered (in April) so around January-February these cars were turning around within a few weeks time. There was a huge surge the day after superbowl that pushed the wait time to around 3 months. Now it has extended to 4-5 months for april-may orders. It is likely getting even longer for June- July orders.
If you look at the Model 3 Survey Statistics Page, you'll see that the order by month chart shows a rapid order dropoff from March. I expect wait times to slowly work their way back down to about 6-8 weeks by the time Tesla is working on June orders. The survey page shows very few orders for August (far fewer than can be explained by ending orders). If that's true, then Tesla should be able to wrap up Model 3 Long Range production sometime in October.

Of course, the challenge with the survey page is that it's voluntary data, so it's accuracy remains suspect at all times. That said, it easily picked up the February/March spike and it shows the order dropoff moving forward.

It may be that folks just aren't entering information into the spreadsheet like they once did, but I think it's in the right ballpark. It certainly paints a different picture than Elon has been suggesting.

Reactions: Cho22 and ZZ118
I hate to be this guy (again) but for everyone who ordered in late June/ or July these are YOUR edd dates. Unless someone cancels you're not going to get the car in a month turn around time. The average wait time right now is 4 months minimum. The only exception is sometimes end of the quarter California gets quick turnaround as orders fall thru and next in line gets called. If you are in Cali you may luck out next month. The system never should have been giving you two week edd's in august. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just trying to tell you that you will likely not get a car until October-November at the earliest.

The final thing I'll say is a few months before I ordered (in April) so around January-February these cars were turning around within a few weeks time. There was a huge surge the day after superbowl that pushed the wait time to around 3 months. Now it has extended to 4-5 months for april-may orders. It is likely getting even longer for June- July orders.

Goodluck be patient and now be happy you will soon own a car that NOONE else can currently buy :)
The more concerning thing to me is I went from dates like: Oct 15 - Nov 25 to generic months like Nov 2022 - Feb 2023. I think my original EDD was late Sept - Mid Oct. The long end of my latest EDD would put me at an 8 month wait, which honestly if the lead time was 8 months when I ordered, I probably would have gone another direction.

I know the dates move around a lot, but they seem to have gotten wider and more generic (just months instead of dates) which makes me wonder if there is something else going on other than a big backlog.

Reactions: Aellinsar
The next generation of compute hardware for full self driving. We're currently on Hardware 3. Troy Teslike is of the opinion that Hardware 3 will provide Level 3 autonomy while Hardware 4 will tackle Level 4 and 5 autonomy. The last I heard, the new hardware was intended for first use in the Cybertruck.
Thanks for the explanation. I'd guess all Teslas would get HW4 when they do their routine software upgrades? Regardless, I'm not ordering FSD so it'll have no impact upon me.

I hate to be this guy (again) but for everyone who ordered in late June/ or July these are YOUR edd dates. Unless someone cancels you're not going to get the car in a month turn around time. The average wait time right now is 4 months minimum. The only exception is sometimes end of the quarter California gets quick turnaround as orders fall thru and next in line gets called. If you are in Cali you may luck out next month. The system never should have been giving you two week edd's in august. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just trying to tell you that you will likely not get a car until October-November at the earliest.

Goodluck be patient and now be happy you will soon own a car that NOONE else can currently buy :)
Ya, I'm so resigned to having to wait that I bought a 'bridge' car: Acura RDX, awd to get me through my EDD of Jan-Apr. So many of us are getting pushed to this generic, non-specific date range I'm wondering if there is a critical part shortage that they are projecting to occur haulting production? just a guess on my part.

I know the dates move around a lot, but they seem to have gotten wider and more generic (just months instead of dates) which makes me wonder if there is something else going on other than a big backlog.
Something is going on. The Model Y has a longer wait time and has higher volume, so the backlog is larger. Yet Model Y orders remain open. Every time I think about this it makes no sense at all. Why close orders when the backlog will instantly reappear when orders are opened? If they don't reappear then Tesla just threw away sales. This isn't being done just to reduce the backlog. I'm guessing that they have some kind of supply issue.
Thanks for the explanation. I'd guess all Teslas would get HW4 when they do their routine software upgrades? Regardless, I'm not ordering FSD so it'll have no impact upon me.
Nope. Hardware 4 is literally hardware that has to be physically installed into the vehicle. I think Tesla has offered hardware upgrades for a fee in the past, but that's less practical now given the number of vehicles on the road. Hardware 4 has no stated planned use other than the Cybertruck right now. Beyond that, there's just not enough information to do anything but speculate.

If you look at the Model 3 Survey Statistics Page, you'll see that the order by month chart shows a rapid order dropoff from March. I expect wait times to slowly work their way back down to about 6-8 weeks by the time Tesla is working on June orders. The survey page shows very few orders for August (far fewer than can be explained by ending orders). If that's true, then Tesla should be able to wrap up Model 3 Long Range production sometime in October.

Of course, the challenge with the survey page is that it's voluntary data, so it's accuracy remains suspect at all times. That said, it easily picked up the February/March spike and it shows the order dropoff moving forward.

It may be that folks just aren't entering information into the spreadsheet like they once did, but I think it's in the right ballpark. It certainly paints a different picture than Elon has been suggesting.
I don't think people are updating the spread sheet tbh

Reactions: codenameku