Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting. I wonder if this has anything to do with the transition away from LTE to 5G (ie. they can’t guarantee access in 8 years because there’s a chance they may turn off LTE like they did 3G when they made the transition).
I think it has more to due with money. Companies (not just tesla) often move away from lifetime deals as they mature because it becomes harder and harder to meet the costs. When tesla was first starting out and only had a few 10k/100k cars it was a great deal and they gave away free supercharging etc. Now that they are a bigger company they no longer need to do that to get orders and they can pass the cost on to the customer without much issue

Not sure where you are seeing this. My understanding and the Tesla page was that this is going to be a retroactive change.
Looking at that page you sourced they contradict themselves as well because at first they say 7/22 then they cite the exact same thing I cited below. I don't think people are getting grandfathered in on this.
It’s kinda buried way at the bottom of Tesla support page in the FAQs: (Connectivity).

What vehicles will continue to receive Standard Connectivity at no cost?
All new Tesla vehicles ordered on or before July 20, 2022, will have Standard Connectivity features at no cost for the lifetime of the vehicle (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network).

My SA did confirm that any orders placed before 7/20 will have free life of vehicle Standard Connectivity. But then, nothing stops Tesla from removing that language someday and claiming it never said that.

Went thru my purchase agreements just to see if I was missing anything. I just noticed that originally it said my order was placed on 4/23/22 but when I added EAP it says new order placed 6/23/22. Now I'm wondering if Tesla is seeing my order as a June order instead of April. I'm going to try and talk to someone tomorrow about this but has anyone who updated their car while awaiting delivery noticed this before?
Yes please keep us updated! I was considering upgrading to EAP/FSD but if it delays my line placement that wouldn't be great. Up to how late can we upgrade our vehicle? Even after VIN?

Reactions: ZZ118 and Fire0897
I have home delivery too and low key pissed about it!!! What should I be looking for? Even has the nerve to mention contactless delivery. MeaniNg they will just drop it off. I wish they would pull that?!?!
My SA told me home delivery can be contactless if that is how I wanted it but standard is to have a person there to answer questions. If you want to pick it up you can text or call your SA and they will change it to pick up from service center.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394 and Cho22
My SA told me home delivery can be contactless if that is how I wanted it but standard is to have a person there to answer questions. If you want to pick it up you can text or call your SA and they will change it to pick up from service center.
Thanks. Due to location of service center, days available for pick up and working hours. home delivery actually works best.

It’s kinda buried way at the bottom of Tesla support page in the FAQs: (Connectivity).

What vehicles will continue to receive Standard Connectivity at no cost?
All new Tesla vehicles ordered on or before July 20, 2022, will have Standard Connectivity features at no cost for the lifetime of the vehicle (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network).

My SA did confirm that any orders placed before 7/20 will have free life of vehicle Standard Connectivity. But then, nothing stops Tesla from removing that language someday and claiming it never said that.
Yes I found that thanks guess we/ you do have a leg to stand on with this. Good find. Let us know how this turns out

Reactions: Minotaur
Went thru my purchase agreements just to see if I was missing anything. I just noticed that originally it said my order was placed on 4/23/22 but when I added EAP it says new order placed 6/23/22. Now I'm wondering if Tesla is seeing my order as a June order instead of April. I'm going to try and talk to someone tomorrow about this but has anyone who updated their car while awaiting delivery noticed this before?
That's bonkers. Tesla really is a mess when it comes to administration. My order agreement is dated from my original order date, not the date that I later added FSD. Somebody screwed up, and I'm glad you found a likely explanation for such a long wait. I hope your SA can get it sorted out and that you'll see a VIN the next day.
I think it has more to due with money. Companies (not just tesla) often move away from lifetime deals as they mature because it becomes harder and harder to meet the costs. When tesla was first starting out and only had a few 10k/100k cars it was a great deal and they gave away free supercharging etc. Now that they are a bigger company they no longer need to do that to get orders and they can pass the cost on to the customer without much issue
I hate to say it, but they have to pass the costs onto us. Every ongoing expense related to a service has to be paid for. Tesla can't just eat those costs on every vehicle on the road. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see everything associated with cellular communication go to a subscription, with WiFi becoming the primary means of data connection with the car (including use of a WiFi hotspot through your cell phone). Supercharging is another one. That's already switching to a subscription model (or pay a higher fee per kWh per use).

This car is not my dream car, but I suspect I'll be hanging onto it for a very long time simply because of the value that is associated with it. If I buy a new vehicle, I may have to subscribe to a bunch of stuff to get back to the same level of convenience. For all I know, Tesla will go the BMW route of selling cars at a 'reduced price' and then turning various builtin features into a subscription. Heated seats. Automatic wipers. Smart headlamps. Increased acceleration. Regenerative braking. The list is endless.

Heh. I just remembered that the Matrix headlamps haven't been programmed yet. That programming may end up as a subscription feature. Or perhaps just a one-time purchase to get them enabled.

Last edited:
That's bonkers. Tesla really is a mess when it comes to administration. My order agreement is dated from my original order date, not the date that I later added FSD. Somebody screwed up, and I'm glad you found a likely explanation for such a long wait. I hope your SA can get it sorted out and that you'll see a VIN the next day.

I hate to say it, but they have to pass the costs onto us. Every ongoing expense related to a service has to be paid for. Tesla can't just eat those costs on every vehicle on the road. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see everything associated with cellular communication go to a subscription, with WiFi becoming the primary means of data connection with the car (including use of a WiFi hotspot through your cell phone). Supercharging is another one. That's already switching to a subscription model (or pay a higher fee per kWh per use).

This car is not my dream car, but I suspect I'll be hanging onto it for a very long time simply because of the value that is associated with it. If I buy a new vehicle, I may have to subscribe to a bunch of stuff to get back to the same level of convenience. For all I know, Tesla will go the BMW route of selling cars at a 'reduced price' and then turning various builtin features into a subscription. Heated seats. Automatic wipers. Smart headlamps. Increased acceleration. Regenerative braking. The list is endless.
Your last paragraph describes exactly how I believe Tesla will start selling the M3LR at a price that gets it under the tax credit limit of $55k.

Your last paragraph describes exactly how I believe Tesla will start selling the M3LR at a price that gets it under the tax credit limit of $55k.
Very clever. Sell under the limit by turning off software features, then go back over the limit after the sale by purchasing the remainder of the car. It's almost hilarious, and I wonder if the federal government will enact legislation to try to prevent it. The best I can think of is to catch all money paid to the manufacturer over the first 12 months or some such thing.