Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery window changed sometime between leaving work and after eating diner. Was Dec 4-Dec 31 and now says Nov 24-Dec 4. No VIN yet, but I did text my SA. I'm in TX, and because of our stupid dealer laws and stupid politicians, we have to have insurance and the car paid in full before it ships. Here's to hoping I can get the VIN tomorrow and at least get insurance set up.

Ordered 10/22, LR blue/white in Houston, TX

Just ordered 2 LR AWD's, Blue and Black both with White Interior.
12/16-12/31 estimated delivery
We let our Advisor know we want to wait until 1/2/2021 or later for delivery due to our local Personal Property Tax declaration dates.
I mentioned the same to our SA. Our personal property taxes are calculated the same way. She said if we refuse a car that is available before that date it could possibly push it out till end of 1st quarter 2021? Said because every quarter the first shipments go overseas and then ship domestically.

Reactions: tstolze
How do you know if just came off the assembly line?

I called Tesla shortly after receiving my VIN today (needed to update financing), and the SA told me that my car had just finished production today. It’s possible he was wrong and it’s been sitting around for a few days, but either way he said it was still in Fremont waiting to be loaded onto a truck to Portland.

I mentioned the same to our SA. Our personal property taxes are calculated the same way. She said if we refuse a car that is available before that date it could possibly push it out till end of 1st quarter 2021? Said because every quarter the first shipments go overseas and then ship domestically.

This was definitely the case this quarter due to the switchover to 2021 production, however there’s a good chance there will be inventory vehicles available in Jan 2021 (there were plenty of inventory 2020s available in October.) Production is looking to be higher this quarter than last by a fair amount and less cars are going to Europe since Shanghai started shipping some there. You might have to compromise on color and other options.

Still a risk though. They could indeed sell out and not have any cars until March.

This was definitely the case this quarter due to the switchover to 2021 production, however there’s a good chance there will be inventory vehicles available in Jan 2021 (there were plenty of inventory 2020s available in October.) Production is looking to be higher this quarter than last by a fair amount and less cars are going to Europe since Shanghai started shipping some there. You might have to compromise on color and other options.

Still a risk though. They could indeed sell out and not have any cars until March.

We let our SA know after our test drive today that we understand the delivery process and the Tesla deliver everything before the end of the quarter mentality and that we are willing to stick to our guns even if it delays delivery until February or March. We drive vehicles from 2007 and 2011 currently and this will take or Property Tax from under $200 to over $2000, with delivery after the 1st, we won't pay Property Tax until the end of 2022

Ordered 10-16 SR+ MSM Black interior 18" wheels. 11-6 changed to white interior. 11-11 changed to LR AWD MSM black interior 18". Got a VIN today 11-24. Delivery estimate changed to Dec. 1-7. Looks like changing configuration didn't put my at the back of the line. CO Superior.

On topic but random question. How do they get from Fremont to NJ? Do they just load up dozens of car transporters and head out across country? Feels like that’s a lot of transporters... I’m assuming so but I don’t see that many car transporters on the roads so just got to wondering...assuming they don’t load them on the train...a ship wouldn’t work so well and the boring company haven’t finished the necessary tunneling yet!

• Funny
Reactions: Nomad_in_US
Here is what changed today:
  • Original Order "2020" Delivery Ranged updated from 11/1 - 11/29 to 11/20 - 11/29
  • Second Order "2021" Delivery Range updated from 11/19 - 12/20 to 11/20 - 11/27
Given neither has been assigned a VIN I'm doubtful either will be ready for delivery before the end of November.

Checked tesla.com today (ok checked like 5 times today) and noticed the original order was assigned a "2021" VIN and the delivery date range was bumped to 12/7 - 12/13. No text or email from Tesla or SA.

Interestingly enough, the second order, which was done on 10/16, had not been assigned a VIN.

Ordered 10-16 SR+ MSM Black interior 18" wheels. 11-6 changed to white interior. 11-11 changed to LR AWD MSM black interior 18". Got a VIN today 11-24. Delivery estimate changed to Dec. 1-7. Looks like changing configuration didn't put my at the back of the line. CO Superior.
I’ll be picking up in Superior as well! My dates are currently showing 11/24-12/2. No VIN thought :(