Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As Tom Petty says:

Seriously though, what's everyone doing between now and delivery? Aside from obsessively refreshing their order status page of course. :)

I've ordered and received several accessories already (in advance of delivery), including Wall Connector (charger). Hoping to have the electrician install in the next week or so, prior to delivery.
Can I ask what you’ve been quoted for install in Seattle? My lowest quote among four electricians in Portland was $550, or a total of $4200 including a panel upgrade to 200amps - the electricians disagree about whether that’s necessary.

Can I ask what you’ve been quoted for install in Seattle? My lowest quote among four electricians in Portland was $550, or a total of $4200 including a panel upgrade to 200amps - the electricians disagree about whether that’s necessary.
I have a few quotes in the $750 range that I'm looking at. I don't need a panel upgrade (already have 200A main), but do need about 50 feet of conduit ran to the other side of the garage. A few places quoted this additional run as significantly extra cost - adding as much as $700 to the quote, and making it closer to ~ $1500.

what county are you in? I just did a 240v/50a install myself and Washington Co's permitting office was pretty helpful throughout the process. Are you currently 100a or 150a service? How far from the the load center (panel) are you running to the outlet? Through walls or conduit on the walls?

I have a few quotes in the $750 range that I'm looking at. I don't need a panel upgrade (already have 200A main), but do need about 50 feet of conduit ran to the other side of the garage. A few places quoted this additional run as significantly extra cost - adding as much as $700 to the quote, and making it closer to ~ $1500.
Makes sense. I’m lucky that my install location is right next to the panel, so the materials cost is minimal.

what county are you in? I just did a 240v/50a install myself and Washington Co's permitting office was pretty helpful throughout the process. Are you currently 100a or 150a service? How far from the the load center (panel) are you running to the outlet? Through walls or conduit on the walls?
Multnomah, 100 amp, directly next to the panel with a short conduit run. I haven’t spoken to permitters yet. The electricians who didn’t recommend upgrading the service saw no safety or usability issue with the 100 watt panel. And as a practical matter, I’ll charge at night almost exclusively, when everything but the AC and fridge are off.

6ga wire is going to cost between 3-6/ft. $700-800 is in the normal range from what I've been seeing. We just had it done yesterday. $680 which included the new breaker, about 50feet of wire and a nema plug and labor. Went with the nema 14-50 because we have a non-tesla EV that needs to charge too.

Ordered a White/black LR in Reno, NV on 2/14. No Vin yet. Like many, my expected delivery date has been fluctuating daily. Yesterday it was 3/15-3/31. Today it is completely blank. I just got off the phone with Reno Tesla and the gentleman said that he doesn't like to give out too much information from the production schedule, but I should get delivery before the end of the month.... so basically nothing changed besides the estimate disappearing.

Call your SA and tell him that you are looking at the exact car you ordered. Tell him/her that if they can remove FSD (they can) you will take it.
Got a hold of my SA. My car is currently in transit and should be here within a few days. I was told that it would behoove me to wait for the delivery as opposed to taking the one in stock. It was heavily hinted that I don't want the one in stock.

Multnomah, 100 amp, directly next to the panel with a short conduit run. I haven’t spoken to permitters yet. The electricians who didn’t recommend upgrading the service saw no safety or usability issue with the 100 watt panel. And as a practical matter, I’ll charge at night almost exclusively, when everything but the AC and fridge are off.

So I'm not an electrician but son of an engineer and have been doing IT systems integration for almost 20yrs some of that being industrial controls I've been around a good bit of both low voltage data/comm's and medium distribution 120/240. Do you have gas appliances? If you are running electric heat, electric stove, electric water heater, etc then it very well could get dicey with the 100a service, however if you are mostly gas then I'd tend to agree and I wouldn't automatically go for the load center upgrade. HOWEVER, you will probably at some point want to if you are planning on selling the house. I don't know what the permitting office is like in MultCo but they're probably a bit more picky than where I am in unincorporated Washington Co.

how do you feel about your DIY skills? This is probably one of the easier things to do if everything is as you described. Given it will be a single outlet branch circuit at 240v you dont need to worry about a lot of the NEC (electric code) for 120v multi-outlet branch circuits.

Pick up some 6/3 in a slightly longer length than you need.
Get some "black button" nm (non-metallic) cable connectors in the appropriate size for your panel punch outs (mine were 1") I've actually got a box if you wanted some.
Make sure to get a double gang wall box thats at least 30 cubic inches (box size is dependent on conductor size)
Make sure to leave at least 1/4" inch of sheathing on the wire bunch where it enters the panel box and the wall box
Some staples to secure the wire to the stud (must be secured within 8" of exiting the box)
Add a staple every 54" after the first one unless it runs through a stud
Any studs you need to cross drill a hole at least 1.5" from the face of the stud, add nail plates to the stud if you cant get 1.5" away from the face (I added nail plates just to be safe. they're .44 cents at HD).
Make sure to add orange fireblock foam in the holes to any exterior wall or if going through floors.
Make sure you dont have more than 4, 90* bends across the whole run

There's probably some more in there I'm forgetting but if you have any desire to DIY this, hit me up I can provide you the NEC regs and suggestions on where to get the bits here locally.

As Tom Petty says:

Seriously though, what's everyone doing between now and delivery? Aside from obsessively refreshing their order status page of course. :)

I've ordered and received several accessories already (in advance of delivery), including Wall Connector (charger). Hoping to have the electrician install in the next week or so, prior to delivery.
lots of time on YouTube. Many great videos and resources for learning more details about the car.

Here is a tip I learned this week:

The car doesn't have blind side alert like most cars these days but.. when you use your turn signal, you'll see the image of your car on the screen move forward with more visibility into the surrounding lanes behind you. I didn't see that in the manual either so that was a good tip.

Reactions: HappyDude and M321
So I'm not an electrician but son of an engineer and have been doing IT systems integration for almost 20yrs some of that being industrial controls I've been around a good bit of both low voltage data/comm's and medium distribution 120/240. Do you have gas appliances? If you are running electric heat, electric stove, electric water heater, etc then it very well could get dicey with the 100a service, however if you are mostly gas then I'd tend to agree and I wouldn't automatically go for the load center upgrade. HOWEVER, you will probably at some point want to if you are planning on selling the house. I don't know what the permitting office is like in MultCo but they're probably a bit more picky than where I am in unincorporated Washington Co.

how do you feel about your DIY skills?
I feel pretty good about my DIY skills. My partner feels less good about my DIY skills.

I think I’m comfy with keeping 100amp service. Our major appliances are all gas. AC, the dryer, and my power tools are the only major electrical draws, and of those the AC is the only one that will frequently run at the same time as the charger. Worst case, it just trips the main breaker, right? But if I’d gotten a reasonable quote for upgrading the panel, I would have taken it just to get the 30% tax credit (up to $1k total) on it as part of the EV charger install.

• Funny
Reactions: Jeff Davlt

how do you feel about your DIY skills? This is probably one of the easier things to do if everything is as you described. Given it will be a single outlet branch circuit at 240v you dont need to worry about a lot of the NEC (electric code) for 120v multi-outlet branch circuits.

Pick up some 6/3 in a slightly longer length than you need.
Get some "black button" nm (non-metallic) cable connectors in the appropriate size for your panel punch outs (mine were 1") I've actually got a box if you wanted some.
Make sure to get a double gang wall box thats at least 30 cubic inches (box size is dependent on conductor size)
Make sure to leave at least 1/4" inch of sheathing on the wire bunch where it enters the panel box and the wall box
Some staples to secure the wire to the stud (must be secured within 8" of exiting the box)
Add a staple every 54" after the first one unless it runs through a stud
Any studs you need to cross drill a hole at least 1.5" from the face of the stud, add nail plates to the stud if you cant get 1.5" away from the face (I added nail plates just to be safe. they're .44 cents at HD).
Make sure to add orange fireblock foam in the holes to any exterior wall or if going through floors.
Make sure you dont have more than 4, 90* bends across the whole run

There's probably some more in there I'm forgetting but if you have any desire to DIY this, hit me up I can provide you the NEC regs and suggestions on where to get the bits here locally.

This is the same kind of post that empowered me to do my own install and I appreciate you taking the time to help others.

I feel pretty good about my DIY skills. My partner feels less good about my DIY skills.

I think I’m comfy with keeping 100amp service. Our major appliances are all gas. AC, the dryer, and my power tools are the only major electrical draws, and of those the AC is the only one that will frequently run at the same time as the charger. Worst case, it just trips the main breaker, right? But if I’d gotten a reasonable quote for upgrading the panel, I would have taken it just to get the 30% tax credit (up to $1k total) on it as part of the EV charger install.

Nice, well I'm not going to push you, but I'd heavily suggest trying to tackle some or all by yourself. Good luck trying to find an electrician that will come out in any reasonable length of time for a small dollar residential job...

Start here: MultCo permits - dont be afraid to call the permitting office and talk to their inspectors and see what they are looking for.
Oregon is using amended NE 2017 find the oregon specific amendments here
Mike Holt's forums are the place to go for electrical questions

But basically read as much as you can before hand so you dont need to redo anything, ask any questions you might have, knock it out and have a beer or two and give it to the wife/husband/SO good after a job well done. ;-)

This is the same kind of post that empowered me to do my own install and I appreciate you taking the time to help others.

Thats great man! It makes me happy to see folks taking their needs into their own hands and coming out with a good result. Now, thats not me saying not to hire a pro when its warranted but we're living in a golden age, anything you could ever want to know about is available at our finger tips, any parts or what not we need are available within a day or two if you cant find em locally. I only know what I know because some folks who came before me had the patience to instill their knowledge into me and it would selfish if that favor wasnt returned. Lets kick down, power to the people.