Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say, not feeling very comfortable with the removal of radar. It's an important technology and I don't feel like asking my wife to beta test unproven safety features in a $50k car. Going to have to mull this one over and decide if we cancel our reservation.
I feel the same at times, wanting it to still be the safest cars around, very important to me and my precious cargo of family members. I want to trust they know what's going on as it's head and shoulders above my pay grade. A good article I read about some concern. Elon Musk explains Tesla's pure vision approach to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving.

Im personally not bothered by the switch to camera based driving. I trust the engineers and experts at Tesla to make the right decision and if they believe this is a safer solution then I'm all for it.
I would be more inclined to trust them if they had finished testing it before they rolled it out but based on that statement they haven't so they don't actually know that this is a safer solution.

Reactions: IAmZeDoctor
So if the car was built in April, but delivered in May, does it have Tesla Vision?
Based on the statement it sounds like everyone taking delivery from now on can pretty much expect to have Tesla Vision, I assume they'll eventually update all of the older models to use it too after we finish beta testing it for them so even if it did come with radar I don't know that it would matter much unless you chose not to take updates from that point on

Reactions: CyberPilot
Just saw this come through Twitter.

View attachment 666081
woot woot! in my opinion, i suppose teslas tardiness when it comes to delivering our cars was actually a blessing in disguise. again, in MY opinion. wasnt expecting this. my ordered m3 changed on its way to me hehehe. :)
i understand that radar sees even through the darkness of nights. it does not rely on vision (per se) but rather its emitted waves to detect (if im not mistaken).

why would elon decide to remove this? i have no idea. cost cutting? or perhaps something is brewing at tesla that we dont know about just yet ;). might be something good. after all, i think we have ALL embraced their technology. switching to all vision rather than radar may seem iffy at first, but tell me, a car that drives itself is iffy in ITSELF no? but we all cant wait to do it anyways ;).

imo, in a perfect world where the camera would never be covered or hazed up, connected to the neural network, it would recognize things infront of it in much higher detail better than a radar would. hence, getting closer to that level 5 autonomy tesla seem to be aiming for.

i welcome the change. im sure theres a reason behind it without compromising our safety.

woot woot! in my opinion, i suppose teslas tardiness when it comes to delivering our cars was actually a blessing in disguise. again, in MY opinion. wasnt expecting this. my ordered m3 changed on its way to me hehehe. :)
i understand that radar sees even through the darkness of nights. it does not rely on vision (per se) but rather its emitted waves to detect (if im not mistaken).

why would elon decide to remove this? i have no idea. cost cutting? or perhaps something is brewing at tesla that we dont know about just yet ;). might be something good. after all, i think we have ALL embraced their technology. switching to all vision rather than radar may seem iffy at first, but tell me, a car that drives itself is iffy in ITSELF no? but we all cant wait to do it anyways ;).

imo, in a perfect world where the camera would never be covered or hazed up, connected to the neural network, it would recognize things infront of it in much higher detail better than a radar would. hence, getting closer to that level 5 autonomy tesla seem to be aiming for.

i welcome the change. im sure theres a reason behind it without compromising our safety.
I have no issue with the change, just that they clearly don't have it safely working yet. They should have included radar as a redundancy until they had the software fully tested and signed off on and then updated the software to no longer use the radar when it was no longer needed. I'm sure once they have the software figured out it will be fine.

They're restricting the speed and potentially disabling autosteer altogether in the early phases of the delivery process, so that clearly indicates this isn't ready for primetime and I don't believe that it's being done without compromising our safety. Overall not a fan of this change, especially if it comes in the name of cost cutting, since the price of the car has increased by $2k since early April.

Also, redundancy is good because systems fail and having something to fall back to is infinitely better than throwing your hands up in the air, shrugging, and being like "we've tried nothing and we're all out of options." Supersonic sensors are "fine" for city driving, but at highway speeds you'd cover their range of 11m in 0.35s, which is practically useless.

I'm all for change, but I think it's fair to question where the changes may not be so great, as is the case here.

They're restricting the speed and potentially disabling autosteer altogether in the early phases of the delivery process, so that clearly indicates this isn't ready for primetime and I don't believe that it's being done without compromising our safety. Overall not a fan of this change, especially if it comes in the name of cost cutting, since the price of the car has increased by $2k since early April.

Also, redundancy is good because systems fail and having something to fall back to is infinitely better than throwing your hands up in the air, shrugging, and being like "we've tried nothing and we're all out of options." Supersonic sensors are "fine" for city driving, but at highway speeds you'd cover their range of 11m in 0.35s, which is practically useless.

I'm all for change, but I think it's fair to question where the changes may not be so great, as is the case here.
i see your concerns as super valid and i agree with all you mentioned :).

heres to hoping that they know what they are doing (yes, despite sending rockets out in space etc etc).

I agree, although I think once they get the software figured out it will be fine, I think subaru uses cameras instead of radar for their adaptive cruise control so it's been done before and seems to work fine. Again once they've gotten the software figured out which is clearly not ready yet.

I have no issue with the change, just that they clearly don't have it safely working yet. They should have included radar as a redundancy until they had the software fully tested and signed off on and then updated the software to no longer use the radar when it was no longer needed. I'm sure once they have the software figured out it will be fine.
I am sure it was tested, but there is nothing like thousands of drivers providing real world data for the purposes of fine tuning.

Also, if you are wary of it, you could not use the autopilot features for a while until it is more mature.

Reactions: kerbyOT7
I agree, although I think once they get the software figured out it will be fine, I think subaru uses cameras instead of radar for their adaptive cruise control so it's been done before and seems to work fine. Again once they've gotten the software figured out which is clearly not ready yet.
subaru has issues depending on sun angle at dawn and dusk.

Reactions: IAmZeDoctor