Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious, how many of you are going full wall charger vs adapter plus nema outlet vs regular outlet for your home charging? I bought a wall charger before realizing a 14-30 nema outlet (30 amp) and adapter would save me $1,000 and still allow for 22 miles per hour….

Full wall charger here. I’m renting a house built in 1937 and was a little nervous, but there was already a free 50-amp breaker and conduit run all the way into the garage, so it was a pretty easy job for the electrician. Hopefully the house’s connection to the trunk can take the additional load, but I think it will be fine.

The last time I was at my dad’s house (105 miles from mine), I found an unused Nema 14-30 plug behind his 110v washing machine, so (assuming it’s live) I bought the adapter and a 25’ RV extension cable to charge there, as it might be tricky (i.e. impossible) going over a 4100-foot-high mountain (that gets pretty cold in winter) and cruising 75-80mph for 220 miles round trip without topping off while I’m there.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3isforme
Thanks for chiming in, guys. Makes me feel a lot better to know that two other locals are on the same track. Maybe we’re reasonably likely to get our cars by the end of June.
Yep … and I am thinking it is going to be one busy week that last week of June for the delivery team at the Raleigh SC. I don’t call up there often but today I called and talked to SA (Antonio … super nice guy) and he said this is by far the biggest quarter they have had in our area. He was very honest that until I get VIN he can’t see much. So good when they are just honest and don’t over promise … but I think it is all driven by plant/HQ until it hits the VIN stage. After that they can track … to some extent … the shipment journey as they need that do for planning and scheduling of deliveries.

Reactions: id436eg9045
It’s not so much that we’re panicking because we want it this week vs. next or sometime later in June, but (at least speaking for myself) we don’t want to be bumped into August/September.

I can wait patiently if I know my car is coming this month but Tesla’s quarterly release cycle, completely random EDD, wishy-washy info from its own representatives, and generally known Tesla lack of coherent queueing makes everyone without at least a VIN anxious about whether they’re going to be seeing their cars this month after a typically 1-2 month wait, or next quarter after a 4-5 month wait.
Totally agree. If ordered were filled chronologically you could at least say, "hey that guy that ordered a week before me just got his car delivered. Mine has to be coming up soon!". Instead you have people that ordered late may getting deliveries while others that ordered early April are still waiting. Add on wildly fluctuating estimated delivery dates with no explanation of why they fluctuate so wildly and you end up with frustrated buyers.

If orders were filled chronologically and/or the fluctuating EDD's could be explained I think you would have happier buyers.

Curious, how many of you are going full wall charger vs adapter plus nema outlet vs regular outlet for your home charging? I bought a wall charger before realizing a 14-30 nema outlet (30 amp) and adapter would save me $1,000 and still allow for 22 miles per hour….
The Model 3 will be the third EV I’ve owned so I’ve had a Nema 14-50 and a JuiceBox 40 EVSE for a couple of years now. I’d considered selling the JuiceBox and using my Mobile Connector full-time but decided I’d rather keep it in the car in case I need it. Instead I just added a J1772 to Tesla adapter to the JuiceBox.

7.2kW charging has always been plenty for me at home.

Reactions: M3isforme
What was the final price you paid to do all this? Im gonna need to do the same unfortunately. Trying to gauge my costs
Really depends on your area and how long and complicated your run is from your breaker box. My install was $950, was about the middle ground on the bids I got. Came with 3 years of warranty on the work which is nice. And of course the charger itself, think it was $500 at the time.

Totally agree. If ordered were filled chronologically you could at least say, "hey that guy that ordered a week before me just got his car delivered. Mine has to be coming up soon!". Instead you have people that ordered late may getting deliveries while others that ordered early April are still waiting. Add on wildly fluctuating estimated delivery dates with no explanation of why they fluctuate so wildly and you end up with frustrated buyers.

If orders were filled chronologically and/or the fluctuating EDD's could be explained I think you would have happier buyers.
This is the more infuriating thing. Like seeing someone who ordered the same spec a month later picking up their vehicle and your order potentially slipping to the next quarter.