Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The same happened to my with my Y. Everyone that ordered a month after me got them the same week. I was like WTF

Haha I sympathize but can't say I empathize. I was one of the lucky brats who ordered June 30th and my delivery shows July. I wonder if they take in orders quarterly, group them up til a certain date, then produce for US buyers accordingly. I haven't a clue but this sounds plausible IMO.

Reactions: abub
This whole everyone getting July/early August EDD’s is confusing me because all the SA’s I’ve talked to swear up and down that the US doesn’t get deliveries till towards the end of a quarter. Is the production changing this quarter? And if not, why would they allow their system to put a July estimate if that’s not even possible.

@blkgenius - I want to believe your update reg Europe production in China, but so far not a single person has got a VIN in July according to the tracker sheet, so my hopes are going down :-( At the same time, they still haven't changed our EDD from mid July - early August so thats giving me hope as well lol. Maybe they are just going to do it in a batch as someone said here (bundle a range of order dates together and do a bulk VIN drop around July 15)?

Thats what I thought - but how will the "automatic" opening work then? It needs to know that the door is closed for it to activate the open command from the built-in remote right?

It’s not that smart. It just sets a geofence around the location at which you programmed the device, and when you cross into or out of the geofence, it automatically activates the signal and the door operates. So, if you’re coming home and the garage door is already open, it will end up closing the door.

The “automatic” feature is something you can turn on or off. When it’s off and you cross the geofence, the control will pop onto the screen for you to tap and open/close the door manually.

Personally, I’d choose a different home automation system to solve this particular problem. I’d rather save the $300-some bucks and get a WiFi-enabled garage door opener. Then I can see from anywhere in the world whether it’s open or closed and operate/automate it using HomeKit or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Infinityaz
It’s not that smart. It just sets a geofence around the location at which you programmed the device, and when you cross into or out of the geofence, it automatically activates the signal and the door operates. So, if you’re coming home and the garage door is already open, it will end up closing the door.

The “automatic” feature is something you can turn on or off. When it’s off and you cross the geofence, the control will pop onto the screen for you to tap and open/close the door manually.

Personally, I’d choose a different home automation system to solve this particular problem, I’d rather save the $300-some bucks and get a WiFi-enabled garage door opener. Then I can see from anywhere in the world whether it’s open or closed and operate/automate it using HomeKit or whatever.
Thats what I thought - that if it cannot recognize the current state of the door, it will close the door while approaching the garage if its already open! If thats the case then its a garbage feature and I totally agree that a smart garage opener is a much better solution overall, and just pressing the button on a physical remote while in the car is much easier.

Here is an experiment while you are waiting

On Chrome, open your Manage Order page, and right click on the page, and click "View Page Source". Then find the keyword "vehicleMapId" on the page and see if you have a value. Think this means that they have already assigned a vehicle for you, even though the VIN is not ready yet. Just a theory that I saw so would like to see what you all are seeing! I see a value there on my page.

Reactions: jrmt23 and hcdavis3