Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we are all waiting here, can everyone share your charging setup/plans? Personally I would like to have a Tesla Wall charger or even a Nema 14-50 set up in my garage. I ve seen many posts (rightly) pointing out that the 14-50 might be enough as it can charge at 30 miles an hour and thats enough for an overnight charge up and the wall charger might be overkill. But my problem is not buying the wall charger itself — I have a detached garage and my main panel is in the basement. So getting a 240V - 60A line to the garage is the challenge. I had everything planned out to do it myself (I do DIY electrical stuff around my house all the time), but unfortunately I cant get a permit myself and only a licensed electrician can do it. With the material prices also being high, Im getting quotes around $4800 for this installation (not including the wall charger - just to run the line! (Garage is about 35 ft away from the house and there is about 50ft distance from the main panel inside the house to the edge of the house closest to the garage)

Luckily my office building has ChargePoint chargers that are free for us and charges at 20 mi/hour. So Im planning to adjust with that for now and see if the prices go down before running the 240V line. I would rather spend that money on FSD for now.

As we are all waiting here, can everyone share your charging setup/plans? Personally I would like to have a Tesla Wall charger or even a Nema 14-50 set up in my garage. I ve seen many posts (rightly) pointing out that the 14-50 might be enough as it can charge at 30 miles an hour and thats enough for an overnight charge up and the wall charger might be overkill. But my problem is not buying the wall charger itself — I have a detached garage and my main panel is in the basement. So getting a 240V - 60A line to the garage is the challenge. I had everything planned out to do it myself (I do DIY electrical stuff around my house all the time), but unfortunately I cant get a permit myself and only a licensed electrician can do it. With the material prices also being high, Im getting quotes around $4800 for this installation (not including the wall charger - just to run the line! (Garage is about 35 ft away from the house and there is about 50ft distance from the main panel inside the house to the edge of the house closest to the garage)

Luckily my office building has ChargePoint chargers that are free for us and charges at 20 mi/hour. So Im planning to adjust with that for now and see if the prices go down before running the 240V line. I would rather spend that money on FSD for now.
I went ahead and got the wall charger. I needed to run some electrical work to make this possible, so with the electrician install and wall connector it cost close to 2k. For 2021, there is a federal credit of 33% of the install cost, so my total after it all will be about 1500. That's worth it to me to never worry if I have enough charge. Set it to 80% for daily charge (once I get it!) and forget about it.

Reactions: hcdavis3
What?! No. No I did not. And now I'm freshly upset lol
Yeah, I was genuinely surprised. I did also order the wall charger and the garage door opener from the shop, so maybe it was a promo?

Attachments

• hat.jpg
    hat.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 66
Agree on the soft paint that we're stuck with. I've been checking the rockers every day since delivery looking for that first chip... 200 miles and it hasn't happened yet.
PPF is definitely the way to go if you have friends or ownership in a shop. My local shop does great work at relatively low prices but I just can't justify the expense on a $47k car. I expect to be trading up this long range for a top trim S or X in a few years and I'll get the full XPEL wrap with ceramic coating on it.

It's a 73K car here in Canada including taxes, on par with any high end BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, or Audi. If this isn't a nice expensive car then Im not sure what is. Do you need to spend 250K on some rare Lamborghini to justify a couple thousand dollars in paint protection?

First thing I did was wrap the entire front of my car (bumper, both fenders, lights, full hood) in PPF. Only cost me $1750 including taxes ($1400 US) . Money well spent if you ask me. 90% of all stone chips on my previous car were in these areas. The other 10% were on the rockers which I still might do. So it's totally worth it if you're anal about stuff like that. Anyways that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

We picked up an electric vehicle last year. Like you, I do some electrical work. Prior to delivery I installed a NEMA 14-50 in the garage and have been using a Blink HQ100 charger. If anything, I’ll upgrade the charger to something that pulls more than 30 amps for quicker charging, but it won’t be the Tesla wall connector. In my personal opinion, there are better chargers than the Tesla brand.

Maybe try making some friends with licensed electricians on the handy app Thumbtack. I found one last year who agreed that I could do the work, but leave it unfinished for him to inspect afterwards and he would then apply for the permit. He only charged me the cost of the permit.

We picked up an electric vehicle last year. Like you, I do some electrical work. Prior to delivery I installed a NEMA 14-50 in the garage and have been using a Blink HQ100 charger. If anything, I’ll upgrade the charger to something that pulls more than 30 amps for quicker charging, but it won’t be the Tesla wall connector. In my personal opinion, there are better chargers than the Tesla brand.

Maybe try making some friends with licensed electricians on the handy app Thumbtack. I found one last year who agreed that I could do the work, but leave it unfinished for him to inspect afterwards and he would then apply for the permit. He only charged me the cost of the permit.
Thank you - that was exactly what I was looking for - someone who will just be a proxy for me for the permit and let me do the work. I ll try that app👍🏾

Regarding Tesla vs other brand chargers, one factor for me is that my electric company (First Energy) provides off peak charging rewards IFF I use a ChargePoint or Enel X charger and not for a Tesla charger. I havent worked out exactly how much that would amount to so if its not really significant savings I would just discount that factor.

Thank you - that was exactly what I was looking for - someone who will just be a proxy for me for the permit and let me do the work. I ll try that app👍🏾

Regarding Tesla vs other brand chargers, one factor for me is that my electric company (First Energy) provides off peak charging rewards IFF I use a ChargePoint or Enel X charger and not for a Tesla charger. I havent worked out exactly how much that would amount to so if its not really significant savings I would just discount that factor.
I ran a 14-50 from panel to garage. I use the Enel x juice box on my current car until Tesla day. I like it's wifi connectivity, and plan on using it for years. It's on a 60A circuit but I ran large wires that would support 90A if I changed my mind

Reactions: abub

Alternatively, you could also use the mobile charger that comes with the Model 3 and pair it with a 14-50 Adapter.

Reactions: abub