Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to show proof of insurance by scan my current card to my SA here in Se PA. I would try to do that if you can. I don’t have my VIN and it is showing as complete for me.
I did the same, I called my insurance to ask about it and they said I need the car. My SA emailed me and said everything looks good just need insurance when we get the vin. I told him my insurance company need the car first. My SA said he will work with them if needed. This is the only thing I am worried about.

I did the same, I called my insurance to ask about it and they said I need the car. My SA emailed me and said everything looks good just need insurance when we get the vin. I told him my insurance company need the car first. My SA said he will work with them if needed. This is the only thing I am worried about.

Scan your current cars insurance card and send it to Tesla. I have the Geico app I just pulled it up that way. They wanted to see the insurance registration number

Reactions: Jcavs88
Scan your current cars insurance card and send it to Tesla. I have the Geico app I just pulled it up that way. They wanted to see the insurance registration number
I also was under the impression from my SA that I need a VIN number first before I can set the insurance. My question is, if you don’t have a VIN assigned yet (and therefore don’t have insurance), will this delay getting assigned a delivery date? Can we confirm this?

Reactions: jrmt23
Just in case it does help in some way, I added my insurance information today (even though I don't have a VIN yet). Interestingly, after I tried to upload a pdf of my current insurance card, I was presented with fields to fill in with the name of the insurance company, the policy number, and the expiration date. I filled those in, and the account page then said that my insurance step is complete. If I was buying from a dealer, they would call the insurance company to add the car to my policy. It will be interesting to see whether Tesla does that.

Pro Tip: if you’re going to run your own ROMEX, choose 6/2. You don’t need 6/3 since there isn’t a neutral in 220/240v applications. Neutral is needed for 120v appliances. Choosing 6/2 removes the unnecessary neutral, and allows you to run the wiring a bit easier.

Downside: It’s typically easier to find 6/3 locally packaged. Even though the neutral isn’t required, having it included does assist with future proofing in the event a 110/120v appliance is moved to you new circuitry since some elements of a stove or dishwasher run on 110 and others 220. And of course, if you’re running ROMEX, you likely only want to run it once. You can find 6/2 but it’ll typically need to be cut by the foot, so know how much you need in advance.
Ya I was thinking 6/3 for future proofing since Im running the conduit underground and adding a sub panel in the garage anyway. But yes I did see that the chargers dont need neutral.

Just in case it does help in some way, I added my insurance information today (even though I don't have a VIN yet). Interestingly, after I tried to upload a pdf of my current insurance card, I was presented with fields to fill in with the name of the insurance company, the policy number, and the expiration date. I filled those in, and the account page then said that my insurance step is complete. If I was buying from a dealer, they would call the insurance company to add the car to my policy. It will be interesting to see whether Tesla does that.
I don’t think I can do that, unfortunately. Texas isn’t one of the 12 states they have listed where they’ll accept insurance on an existing car.

I give my SA a certain measure of leeway. I can tell English isn’t his native language so it’s bound to be a level of nuance that’s missing. He basically told me, “you’ll know something before me..”. Which is true, but it’s how you say it, and it came off as him shrugging his shoulders. After I explained to him how it was interpreted, he apologized and now calls once a wee to basically say, “I still don’t know anything.”

Wait you guys have SAs? And he calls you??

Fun fact I placed my order for a performance in early May but didn't complete all of the pre-delivery tasks 'til recently. Guess that delays getting a VIN since I don't have one yet and EDD varies from Aug 20 to the generic 7-11 weeks message.

So make your bed and complete your tasks if you want a car anytime soon.

I don’t think I can do that, unfortunately. Texas isn’t one of the 12 states they have listed where they’ll accept insurance on an existing car.
So is NY. But I saw an earlier append in this forum from someone else in NY who said that they just put in the information for their existing car in the hope that it would expedite things and thought it was worth a try. It can't be more of a superstition than adding a squirrel as your avatar (which I will do too when I can :) ). And, as I pointed out, dealers will often call the insurance company for you and it is at least possible that Tesla might do that if they have the necessary info.

Reactions: jrmt23
Ordered a Model 3 LR back on May 12th, and the last few days the EDD is showing 7-11 weeks. For a good while it was firmly in the "most of July or the first week of August" window but now it's been showing 7-11 weeks consistently.

East coast U.S., MSM, black interior, no FSD.