Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chicago order here. Still sitting at 8/26-9/
I hate to point this out, but I ordered 6/16 (white/white, 18", no FSD) and I was notified about my VIN on Monday morning. Talking with the KC folks, they said that cars for our area get transported by train to Chicago and then trucked down to KC. My current EDD is 7/24-7/28 now and has been for a day and a half. I'm thinking if your car was ready that it should have been on that same train as mine to Chicago. Have you talked to any local Tesla folks there in Chicago to see if that might be the case?

Reactions: scenicroadways
Have you only had 2 edd changes? I ordered from Highland Park on 6/9 and I think I am at 18 edd changes now total. Now I'm at the default of 10-16 weeks again.
No, I've had a bunch of them too. It started out as good as late July, then kept moving right, then REALLY far right to end of Sept, then back again to late Aug-Sept. The default 10-16 could be a good sign for you because many have gotten VINS right after that. I keep checking local inventory because it's so hard to wait...

I hate to point this out, but I ordered 6/16 (white/white, 18", no FSD) and I was notified about my VIN on Monday morning. Talking with the KC folks, they said that cars for our area get transported by train to Chicago and then trucked down to KC. My current EDD is 7/24-7/28 now and has been for a day and a half. I'm thinking if your car was ready that it should have been on that same train as mine to Chicago. Have you talked to any local Tesla folks there in Chicago to see if that might be the case?
And I think the cars were in Chicago yesterday. Rumour is some getting to Canada tmrrw.

3rd day of Aug 21 - Sep 10, ordered 6/29.

I feel like black interior is being produced less than the white.. a trend I noticed in this thread and the spreadsheet.
What makes it worse is that my paint is silver.. hope its not going to be the last config to be produced.

Reactions: KK35
Thats great info to know! I figured Chicago would be a "hub" which made me think I would get my car sooner. It must just be random though, or depend on what colors and configurations they made. Have not talked to anyone from Tesla yet.

Thats great info to know! I figured Chicago would be a "hub" which made me think I would get my car sooner. It must just be random though, or depend on what colors and configurations they made. Have not talked to anyone from Tesla yet.
I think it could depend on whether or not your state is a "ZEV" state:

State clean car programs—requiring that a certain percentage of new vehicle sales in a state be EVs or other zero-emission vehicles—are considered a key regulatory tool driving adoption of fuel efficient and electric vehicles. Twelve states—Colorado, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia and Washington—have adopted California’s low-emission vehicle and zero-emission vehicle regulations for light-duty vehicles, with Washington enacting legislation in 2020 and Virginia in 2021.

- State Lawmakers Driving EV Policies in 2021

I was a little surprised that they all go to Chicago with KC being literally right in the middle of the country and having a lot of rail routes coming in, but I'm getting the sense that Chicago is the hub for most of the upper midwest. If they are going to truck cars from there all the way to KC instead of using rail directly here, I imagine nearly anyone from the Dakotas to maybe the Louisville area will have their car routed through Chicago, probably including some cars going into Canada.

ETA: This is pure speculation on my part, at least as to which areas use Chicago as a hub. It's NOT speculation (insofar as you can trust the sales associates) that Tesla ships cars from Fremont to Chicago via rail and then trucks, at least to KC. That seems like pretty solid info and matches up with the timelines I've been given since getting my VIN earlier this week.

Last edited:
Delivery scheduled for 7/31 at 10 a.m. (home delivery, which I wasn't expecting, see you there @blkgenius !). Got a text with a link to schedule it, didn't get an e-mail (got an e-mail a half hour later saying about the same thing, even though I had already scheduled), didn't hear back from my SA.

Pumped! Now need to work out the "financing is good until 7/29" thing with USAA but I have to imagine they can sort that out somehow.

Last edited:
Delivery scheduled for 7/31 at 10 a.m. (home delivery, which I wasn't expecting, see you there @blkgenius !). Got a text with a link to schedule it, didn't get an e-mail, didn't hear back from my SA.

Pumped! Now need to work out the "financing is good until 7/29" thing with USAA but I have to imagine they can sort that out somehow.
I hope they can sort that out for you as well. Mine will probably be over the 90 days as well.