Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also did anyone do anything with the insurance beforehand. My state needs a VIN so I should have to wait for that. I just want to make sure there isn't anything to do beforehand that might hold up the process. I'm assuming not though.
My state does not require it to be a Tesla VIN on the policy based on my account page, but I did not upload my insurance information until after I had the VIN and added it to my policy as a new vehicle. So I do not think it affects the time to VIN.

Chip shortage is definitely not easing.
Tesla started using microcontrollers and updated firmware to work with new chip manufacturers back in Q1
Last thing I have heard Elon speak about was Airbag and Seatbelt modules being the hard to come by parts last quarter. It will be interesting to see how this varies going forward, especially with 2 new plants ramping up over the next year.

So got a surprise VIN. I saw the email saying final payment due (I have to call them to switch to financing) and now it has my delivery date as 9/8-9/11. Do I really have to get this by saturday? I might need an extra day or so to get down there. Unless I can make it work sometime saturday.

Reactions: Jason746
Finally!! look at that beautiful smile!!!🥰😎🤣

Attachments

• 713250F2-65C2-4AEC-8E6B-63C28B1AB820.jpeg
    713250F2-65C2-4AEC-8E6B-63C28B1AB820.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 84
  • EC94A7A4-5600-438E-864B-8BDDCEF6C970.jpeg
    EC94A7A4-5600-438E-864B-8BDDCEF6C970.jpeg
    516 KB · Views: 54
Tesla assigns a year model to cars based on when they are built. You get a 2022 year model if it's built in year 2022. Don't get confused by what other car makers have done over the years, basically releasing and selling the next year's model months in advance. Tesla doesn't base their refreshes or features added specific to the year model. They might just decide next month to add a self-aware artificial intelligence, and if it ran completed through the production line in December of 2021, it would still be a 2021 model.

As far as it being a November car, I think that's par for the course. I ordered 8/9, got a VIN today, estimated delivery is the 9/16 - 9/26. So, if you ordered on 9/5, I'd expect either end of Oct, or early Nov. And, Tesla Finance is only competitive if you think 2.49% is competitive. They will however match a rate you get from other lenders, however you have to go through the full lending process. See this link: Best Rate Guarantee
Supposedly some September and October builds 2020 and forward were 2021 model years when Tesla changed the vin number code for the new year. Tesla SA told me typically the year build is the model year like you said but when I mentioned my coworker getting a 2021 Model 3 last fall she said they did see some fall 2020 delivered cars with 2021 vin codes. Probably saying this to keep people from waiting until January to place orders so they get a newer model year.

Last edited: