Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally VIN is assigned and EDD moved by a day. I was planning not to check the app today or until I get the text. But old habits die hard, glad that I did.
I am excited but cannot share the the news to spouse, car supposed to be a surprise gift for her.
VIN has bunch of numbers, what do I interpret from the numbers? I see posts with VIN 155 or 166 but mine start with 5Y. Any pointers?
M3LR Midnight Silver/black interior/ 18'' Aero Wheels/No FSD/SF bay Area
OD: Nov 2021
Current EDD: Jan 30-Feb02

Finally VIN is assigned and EDD moved by a day. I was planning not to check the app today or until I get the text. But old habits die hard, glad that I did.
I am excited but cannot share the the news to spouse, car supposed to be a surprise gift for her.
VIN has bunch of numbers, what do I interpret from the numbers? I see posts with VIN 155 or 166 but mine start with 5Y. Any pointers?
M3LR Midnight Silver/black interior/ 18'' Aero Wheels/No FSD/SF bay Area
OD: Nov 2021
Current EDD: Jan 30-Feb02
Final 6 digits.

If I don’t accept Tesla trade in offer ands let it expire, will that delay my delivery date? Thanks!
Not at all. I had my trade evaluation expire three times and it did not change my EDD. I eventually took it off last week. That changed my payment from "Complete" to a greyed out "Pay." When I got my VIN, Pay was no longer greyed out and I was able to pay via Plaid.
If I don’t accept Tesla trade in offer ands let it expire, will that delay my delivery date? Thanks!

Good news! Woke up to vision agreement and after signing off for a VIN of 167xxx! Hoping everyone else in SoCal wakes up to their VINs! will check in morning for RYZEN
Quick update, support chat confirmed that this M3 LR has Ryzen, new 12v battery, and heated wiper park. Unable to confirm double pane back glass, mentioned system does not specify this. Will try to confirm through customer support number (they haven’t picked up for some reason) then again through SA.

OD 11/17/22 - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
M3LR / Midnight Silver/ Black Interior / 18" Aero Wheels

EDD
01)
12/21 - 12/28
02) 12/24 - 12/31
03) 1/5 - 2/2
04) 1/14 - 2/11
05) 1/18 - 2/15
06) 1/20 - 2/16
07) 1/22 - 2/2
08) 1/24 - 2/6
09) 1/26 - 2/7
10) 1/28 - 2/7

Additional Info:
12/13 Text asking if I had a Trade-in
12/20 Changed from Finance to Check Payment
1/5 Text to SA about push backs and changing pick-up location to speed up order, SA said I'm on track for fastest delivery.
Update: received VIN today. 167XXX sent text to SA about using current insurance for pick up and to see if we have new chip and battery.

Quick update, support chat confirmed that this M3 LR has Ryzen, new 12v battery, and heated wiper park. Unable to confirm double pane back glass, mentioned system does not specify this. Will try to confirm through customer support number (they haven’t picked up for some reason) then again through SA.
Got mine up here in the Bay Area. 167XXX

Nope, order date doesnt have a ton to do with "build queue" since tesla does not build cars to order at all (unlike, say BMW that actually builds the car to the specifications you order it). There are not that many options for tesla, so they build cars in batches and then match you to a car in the batch that roughly corresponds to "your turn".

With that being said, its EXTREMELY (extremely extremely) common for someone to order a car, say, in new york in the middle of the first month of a quarter, and get that car at the same time as someone who ordered, say, in CA at the beginning of the last month of the quarter.

It boils down to people should expect to get their cars, in the US, in the last month of the quarter, with the closer you are to the factory being the later in the quarter you get it.

When texas comes fully online that may change, but thats how Tesla has operated in the past at least since 2018.

All the tracking of bouncing delivery dates is just "for entertainment purposes only" as far as I am concerned.
Thanks for the info.
Are these “batches” on a quarterly basis? What about someone in Fremont who ordered at the beginning of a quarter? Do they wait until the end of that quarter?

I have my first two-week EDD window after only having had month-long ones since my initial order. Having been on this forum for a while, I know not to read too much into that, but hopefully it's a good sign!

MSM/Black, 18" wheels, no FSD, Seattle area
OD: 11/18; original delivery estimate on the website was Jan. 2022

EDD journey:
Pre-12/10 (before I thought to start tracking dates): 1/8-2/8
12/16: 2/11-3/11
1/14: 1/14-2/11
1/27: 1/31-2/28
1/28: 2/5-2/19

Reactions: EvDoss
Thanks for the info.
Are these “batches” on a quarterly basis? What about someone in Fremont who ordered at the beginning of a quarter? Do they wait until the end of that quarter?

In the past, yes, with a few exceptions on if a car is available earlier for some reason. Teslas supply chain is changing, but in general the first month of a quarters production is shipped internationally (not for US delivery). They dont usually start even making cars for US delivery till the middle of the quarter, then the logistics of getting those delivered by the end of that quarter.

Now that china is online and selling cars internationally, some of that might be a bit different, but I dont believe the "closest to the factory = later in the quarter" has changed as a whole. You will always find someone who doesnt end up fitting the mold, but im talking about "what to expect".

This is also likely complicated by deliveries of vehicles because of all the various people putting cars on hold at the end of last year trying to get delivery in 2022 for various reasons, so there was likely more inventory needing to move around than normal at the beginning of a year.

None of this is going to stop people from obsessively refreshing their accounts looking for delivery dates, though.

I'm picking up my car tomorrow with 165xxx VIN. Can the heated wiper park be easily identified visually? I think that item would be more useful for me than the AMD chip or Li ion battery.

Once you get your appointment, get ready for a barrage of emails, texts, and automated phone calls asking to confirm the appointment and to remember to finalize all your documents/funding. The same barrage came after my first appointment last month. Last month, I had a delivery option. This month, the only option is a pick-up. I'm only 5 miles from the nearest Tesla center.

As far as finalizing your payment, they prefer to pay via Plaid. I found that more convenient than getting certified funds. If you're waiting for funding from a financial institution, ask your lender to send you a photo of the check along with tracking (FedEx) numbers. Tesla will take that as proof that your ducats are on the way.

Reactions: EvDoss
Nope, order date doesnt have a ton to do with "build queue" since tesla does not build cars to order at all (unlike, say BMW that actually builds the car to the specifications you order it). There are not that many options for tesla, so they build cars in batches and then match you to a car in the batch that roughly corresponds to "your turn".

With that being said, its EXTREMELY (extremely extremely) common for someone to order a car, say, in new york in the middle of the first month of a quarter, and get that car at the same time as someone who ordered, say, in CA at the beginning of the last month of the quarter.

It boils down to people should expect to get their cars, in the US, in the last month of the quarter, with the closer you are to the factory being the later in the quarter you get it.

When texas comes fully online that may change, but thats how Tesla has operated in the past at least since 2018.

All the tracking of bouncing delivery dates is just "for entertainment purposes only" as far as I am concerned.
Ah, so is this perhaps why many of us in CA got a 12/20-12/31 EDD in December, then had EDD's pushed out? Maybe they thought they could get to us end of quarter 2021.....hmmm. So end of next quarter is end of March, yes? I sincerely hope I don't have to wait until end of March being here in CA. Eek!

Ah, so is this perhaps why many of us in CA got a 12/20-12/31 EDD in December, then had EDD's pushed out? Maybe they thought they could get to us end of quarter 2021.....hmmm. So end of next quarter is end of March, yes? I sincerely hope I don't have to wait until end of March being here in CA. Eek!
I've found that new orders are usually fulfilled at the end of the quarter. Orders that have been placed on hold/delayed/refused are fulfilled at random times.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin