Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figure this is worth reposting, since I'll be using it on Saturday and others with imminent deliveries may find this of value as well:

Also, I'm borrowing this charging tip from a December post. I'll quote the whole post in a moment but this bit seems particularly important, especially for those (like me) with at least an hours' drive to the delivery location:

If you can, ask them if they will allow you to charge your car on their level 2 "charger" for 5 minutes so that you can verify that the car will charge properly. (Yes, Tesla has sent cars that won't charge home with buyers before.) Charging your car should ramp up to at least 40 amps on their level 2 chargers after a minute or so (32A for the plug in charge cable that comes with the car). Lower than 40A could indicate an internal charger problem. Also test for a few minutes at a Supercharger if there's one there. Don't worry about supercharging speeds initially because they can vary for a lot of reasons too complicated to go into here. If Tesla can't / won't let you test charging before accepting the car then find the nearest charger and test there particularly if you have a long drive home that would require charging. If your car is already fully charged at delivery (mine wasn't) then you may have to raise the charge limit or drive it for a while to check charging.

Here's some advice for those taking delivery soon from someone who's gone through it before.
  • If you can take delivery in the daytime. It's much easier to see problems in bright daylight than it is at night under thin artificial lights.
  • If you can, ask them if they will allow you to charge your car on their level 2 "charger" for 5 minutes so that you can verify that the car will charge properly. (Yes, Tesla has sent cars that won't charge home with buyers before.) Charging your car should ramp up to at least 40 amps on their level 2 chargers after a minute or so (32A for the plug in charge cable that comes with the car). Lower than 40A could indicate an internal charger problem. Also test for a few minutes at a Supercharger if there's one there. Don't worry about supercharging speeds initially because they can vary for a lot of reasons too complicated to go into here. If Tesla can't / won't let you test charging before accepting the car then find the nearest charger and test there particularly if you have a long drive home that would require charging. If your car is already fully charged at delivery (mine wasn't) then you may have to raise the charge limit or drive it for a while to check charging.
  • Check your wheels and the underside of your bumpers for scrapes. Tesla had to drive your car around at the factory and delivery center before delivering it to you. My first Model 3 had wheel rash on two wheels at delivery that I didn't notice until the next morning in my driveway. But by then it was my problem not Tesla's.
  • Don't sweat the small stuff too much. If there is a minor issue such as misaligned trim, a hood that doesn't line up quite right when closed or a door that needs a little too much force to shut let them know but don't refuse delivery. I had several minor QC issues with my first Model 3 and the service center was able to take care of them quickly and painlessly. Even minor scratches may be able to be buffed or polished out.
  • Don't let them pressure you into taking home a car with more major problems that could take a while to fix. Visible dents, deep scratches that catch on a fingernail, doors that won't close securely, a computer that reboots / resets on its own, non-working ABS / traction control or warning messages about the battery or motor could involve a much more lengthy stay at a service center. So could a non-working heater or AC. Better to have them take care of major issues to your satisfaction before you accept because once you accept it's your problem not theirs.
  • Some online sites will tell you to take a micrometer, flashlight and magnifying glass so you'll know if a panel gap is 0.5 microns wider on one side of the car than the other (oh the horror) and so you can know if there is a microscopic imperfection in the paint that you can't see when looking at the car normally. Well you gotta be you but my advice is don't look for problems that you wouldn't otherwise ever notice. It's like buying a big 4k TV and examining to see if any of the millions of individual pixels doesn't functions as well as the others. If you don't look you will enjoy your perfect TV for as long as you own it. But if you do look and find one it will always bother you forever even if it can't be seen normally. Just take a normal walk around your car at a normal distance. If you can't see a problem without actively looking for one then be happy.
  • Do check to make sure you have all the features you paid for. If you paid for 19 inch wheels make sure you have 19 inch wheels. If you paid for FSD make sure the car's screen says you have FSD. If you paid for a Performance make sure the car says it's a Performance. If your car is a dual motor make sure it says dual motor. (But it's not a big deal if the dual motor badge on the back or the Performance spoiler is missing because they can easily be added later).
  • Not every software feature may work immediately. This is not usually a problem. For example, Autopilot requires a calibration period and can take a few days before it can be activated. The backup camera on the other hand should work at delivery and make sure it does.
  • Don't expect the efficiency numbers to add up. Tesla is very "optimistic" when it comes to the efficiency numbers it publishes and they've grown even more optimistic in recent years. Further, the car's efficiency numbers shown on the screen often don't seem to count significantly portions of the energy actually used by the car. If driven very slowly and carefully without climate control you may get in the ballpark of the range Tesla claims (I've tried and done it) but don't expect it normally. Don't be surprised if you only get 240 miles of range instead of 358 on your way home if you drive 90 MPH with the heater on.
Carl
Thanks to Carl for these helpful delivery tips.

Many of us have ordered in December/early Jan without a VIN. Reading this forum everyday will piss you off, but also make it aware that you are not alone lol.
Correct. I ordered on 01/06 and have seen many come and go who ordered later in January and early February. However, most of the orders appear to be out of higher population areas in California and elsewhere. Where I wouldn't be surprised if they had a number of newly manufactured Tesla's that were rejected and passed on to the next person.

I live in the midwest where a total of 800 Teslas were sold in 2020. So we aren't exactly an epicenter of Tesla deliveries and I am not surprised that an order didn't fall through to me.

Reactions: Cosimo3456
One last thing. There's NO REASON to expect any shenanigans with your vehicle's VIN, but here's a list of all of the places where the VIN can be found, including several on the car itself... might be worth looking to ensure that all of them show the same info when you're accepting delivery.

Your VIN can be found in a number of places:

- The original Window Sticker.
- The Tesla website, select SIGN IN, and enter your login information. The VIN will appear to the left of your vehicle image.
- A metal plate on the dash has the VIN engraved. It is visible from the outside of the car through the bottom of the window on the driver’s side.
- The VIN is printed on the white Vehicle Certification Label, visible when you open the driver’s door on the center pillar.
- Open the rear hatch. On the hatch lip, on the right may be a white label with the VIN. It’s not clear every car has this label. This is not the Emission Control Label.
- In the frunk, under the center maintenance panel that is near the windshield, the VIN is stamped on the chassis.
- If you open the Tesla phone app, scroll to the bottom of the page and the VIN and software version appears.

Cut/pasted from the Tesla tap VIN decoder page: VIN Decoder – TeslaTap

For those linux/console friendly people, you can leverage Tesla's API to decode VIN's at the source

CURL
Bash:
curl --location --request POST 'https://www.tesla.com/mytrestcallback/vehicle_data_by_vin' \
--form 'vin="VINNUMBER"'

WGET

Bash:
wget --no-check-certificate --quiet \
  --method POST \
  --timeout=0 \
  --header '' \
  --body-data 'vin=VINNUMBER' \
   'https://www.tesla.com/mytrestcallback/vehicle_data_by_vin'

Reactions: bri4n
Kind of a huge update this morning
OD: 2/16
EDD1: 4/23-5/21
EDD2 this morning: 3/14-3/28

We will see if it sticks but that was weird change
Interesting...I ordered 2/7 and had an EDD of 3/12-3/31 but that changed yesterday to 4/23-5/21. I'm in Columbus as well and the fact we had the same exact date has me pondering. Keep me updated would ya and I'll do the same.

Reactions: Wittybuffalo
For those linux/console friendly people, you can leverage Tesla's API to decode VIN's at the source

CURL
Bash:
curl --location --request POST 'https://www.tesla.com/mytrestcallback/vehicle_data_by_vin' \
--form 'vin="VINNUMBER"'

WGET

Bash:
wget --no-check-certificate --quiet \
  --method POST \
  --timeout=0 \
  --header '' \
  --body-data 'vin=VINNUMBER' \
   'https://www.tesla.com/mytrestcallback/vehicle_data_by_vin'

What does this accomplish?

I’m excited to announce my graduation from this thread!! Ordered on 12/23/2021 and took delivery today. Here’s my post in the delivery experiences thread. I’ve had a great time reading your posts over the past couple months. We have a great community here. Cheers!
Well y’all, I picked up my new LR AWD today and I am very happy to report that I had absolutely zero issues at all. I went in a bit anxious and made sure to do a reasonable inspection of the car and have not found a flaw. The experience was quite smooth and speedy. I’m having such fun changing my settings and trying all the features. EVs are still pretty rare around here so I’m looking forward to being an ambassador of the future. Pic!
Post in thread 'Master Thread: 3 Delivery experiences'
Master Thread: 3 Delivery experiences

Interesting...I ordered 2/7 and had an EDD of 3/12-3/31 but that changed yesterday to 4/23-5/21. I'm in Columbus as well and the fact we had the same exact date has me pondering. Keep me updated would ya and I'll do the same.
Seeing your config, it could have to due with the blue color choice. I think those are few and far between. Also, I believe they make colors in batches, most commonly MSM and white. But it's quantum mechanics to me. Makes no sense

But I will keep you updated :)

Reactions: Gutta420
I just received this text from Tesla. Is this a good sign that I might receive a VIN soon, or am I reading too much into it? Current EDD is 3/04 - 03/16.

C4B98F0E-FDA3-413E-95DC-FA110D4DC7B2.jpeg

Most people can't get there M3 soon enough and I am having a hard time slowing my delivery down. I ordered my LRM3 Feb 15th with EDD of early may to late may. We do not leave AZ to head back home to Ontario till 1st week of April. I just checked and they now changed my EDD to March 15th to March 30th. If this date sticks I will not be able to accept the car as I will not be back. Can someone tell me if it is common to see Tesla move delivery dates around and if I can expect the original build date to be reinstated? thanks in advance, very anxious to experience my first EV

Im suprised you canceled this order. You could have waited for the car to arrive, drive it straight to carmax and get more than you paid. An easy 1-2k profit for doing nothing else other than waiting for it to finally showup.

Lying is purposefully deceiving someone. I highly doubt they did this on purpose. I bet that these employee's had the same information you did that showed an estimated delivery date and they simply repeated what they assumed to be true. Tesla cant control outside issues suchas, delivery drivers, trucks breaking down, truckers protesting, your delivery driver getting covid, or most of the factory workers catching the new strand of covid and getting 14 days off ect... there are so many other factors that come in to play when it comes to delivery and your rigid thinking will only hurt your ego in the long run. You have to critically think about things before letting your emotions take over. I work at the hospital and I can tell you straight up that dealing with something as simple as waiting for a car to show is incognizant to the stuff i see every day. Stop worrying about the small things because one of these days you will find yourself on the opposite end of another rigid thinker blaming your for lying to them.

I truly hope you get your car asap, but if your in such a big hurry why not setup a script that auto page refreshes tesla's page. I have done this and I have had the oppertunity to buy a model 3 at least once every 24 hours if i notice the page change while near the computer. I placed an order and will wait till may for delivery, but i keep the auto refresh on ecnase my color pops up. So far ive seen white, black, red, and grey. No blues in my area pop up so ill just keep waiting.

Congrats. The only photo i seen is from what bmwm3man just posted so please post up some photos of your car. Im all for competition so being able to see the outside and inside would be nice.

When i see the rear, it looks like the rear of a 1989 totota celica which is a very old design so thats probably why people dont like it. I also dislike the new bmw (M3) buck toothed bumper and since i already sold my 2015 m3 a year ago i decided that since the new m3 was ugly to me i didnt know what to do other than rebuy a used m3 at a much higher cost or buy a different M3. I choose the telsa this time around. The Tesla not only has its looks, but it has so many features that make it worth it alone. Plus the car gets over the air updates with big feature changes that no other manufacture will ever do without charging you.
Taking the car to carmax would be gamble. Seems like used car prices are finally starting to soften

Reactions: EnjoiM3