Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well last night's Cyber Rodeo did little to answer our burning questions about increased M3 production. My guess is that nothing changes in terms of M3 and MY production at Fremont so I have little hope of dramatically improved delivery dates. :(

May was the target date when I first ordered and as far as I can tell at the moment it looks like it will hold up. Or course it would have been nice to get it sooner, but the silver lining to all this is that I ordered before all the recent price hikes and "saved" $5k.
I would guess Texas will be building the new Model Y Standard range model for a little while until they are fully ramped up and can add the Y LR with the new structural battery later.

So for now probably no change in production volumes at Fremont.

Reactions: canasian
Anyone know Why most people in the Bay area EDD got pushed back. I have seen many Bay area pickups delayed for some reason. Anyone can explain why? I was at April 16 - May 14. Now its April 30 - June 4.
No one knows why except for Tesla. Hell even Tesla SAs don’t know why if you ask them. The EDD can go up and down based on factors not publicized. It’s not considered accurate until you have a VIN, at which point the car is actually made and being scheduled for transport/delivery so the timeline is more definite.

I’ll just leave this here:
533DDBC3-0934-4B37-878B-50E2115F5686.jpeg

Nickel is still in short supply. I know Elon has strategic supply chain moves but he’s still short. If you can’t make batteries, you can’t deliver cars. If the Canadian deal goes through, the dates could shrink.
You would assume they would have manufactured batteries for a set amount of cars ahead of time. Anyone who placed an order over the last few months, you would think materials etc would have been allocated to provide the estimated delivery date…but who knows, I’ve seen people waiting for orders since September which makes no sense whatsoever.

You would assume they would have manufactured batteries for a set amount of cars ahead of time. Anyone who placed an order over the last few months, you would think materials etc would have been allocated to provide the estimated delivery date…but who knows, I’ve seen people waiting for orders since September which makes no sense whatsoever.
That’s usually not how manufacturing works. Most manufacturing works on the “just in time” principle which typically is the most efficient and profitable way to make things because you don’t have to worry about managing a huge stockpile of parts. Parts come to the factory just as they are needed on the assembly line.

Of course recent parts shortages and supply chain disruptions will cause delays and production stoppages so the EDDs given are simply estimates and not any sort of guarantee.

Well last night's Cyber Rodeo did little to answer our burning questions about increased M3 production. My guess is that nothing changes in terms of M3 and MY production at Fremont so I have little hope of dramatically improved delivery dates. :(

May was the target date when I first ordered and as far as I can tell at the moment it looks like it will hold up. Or course it would have been nice to get it sooner, but the silver lining to all this is that I ordered before all the recent price hikes and "saved" $5k.
yeah honestly, I don't see M3 production speeding up anytime soon. I think it's going to be a little while longer before Texas can offset the demand for vehicles coming out of fremont. Just my opinion

OD- 3/12/22
FIRST EDD- MAY
SECOND EDD- JUNE 13TH-JULY 18TH
THIRD EDD- MAY 18TH-JULY 12TH

NEW TO THE FORUM AFTER READING OVER EVERYONES COMMENTS FOR A WEEK I DECIDED TO JOIN THIS CRAZY S&%# SHOW OF ALL OF OUR STORYS. ITS ONLY BEEN 4 WEEKS FOR BUT THIS PROCESS TESTS YOUR PATIENCE FOR SURE. I REALLY HOPE THAT MY APR WITH MY CREDIT UNION DOESN'T GO UP FROM WHAT I WAS QUOTED WHEN I ORDERED MY MODEL 3. I WISH THERE WAS A METHOD TO THE MADNESS WITH ALL THESE DIFFERENT EDD'D AND VIN NUMBER ALLOCATIONS.
WELCOME TO HELL

That’s usually not how manufacturing works. Most manufacturing works on the “just in time” principle which typically is the most efficient and profitable way to make things because you don’t have to worry about managing a huge stockpile of parts. Parts come to the factory just as they are needed on the assembly line.

Of course recent parts shortages and supply chain disruptions will cause delays and production stoppages so the EDDs given are simply estimates and not any sort of guarantee.
As somebody in manufacturing this is accurate. That said, things are changing. For instance, our CEO has instructed production to build another facility to store 2 years of material so this never happens again. It won’t count as “inventory“ as it’s not on the plant floor.

As somebody in manufacturing this is accurate. That said, things are changing. For instance, our CEO has instructed production to build another facility to store 2 years of material so this never happens again. It won’t count as “inventory“ as it’s not on the plant floor.
Yep, and as someone who works adjacent to manufacturing, I've heard this from a number of suppliers. Less emphasis on efficiency and more emphasis on supply chain resiliency.

Not counting it as inventory is going to require some creative accounting ;) I think he probably means not counting it as finished goods, but it's still going to be sitting on your books as a liability right?

Reactions: SantaCruzOMB