Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was counting on that charger, this is a bummer. Not only did I place my order 2 weeks too late ($3500 more), but now I will have to buy a UMC in addition. I like the car, I hate the service already.
You shouldn’t have to pay if you ordered before the announcement. I fully expect it to be included, since it was when I ordered and is my only way to charge

Model 3 delivery times, are they in keeping with approximate delivery dates? Ours is scheduled to arrive in August of 22. Does Tesla send info as to production status?
Deliveries seem to roughly match up with the original delivery dates. Some people see lots of activity in changes to those dates, but the trend seems to be to track right back to the original range.

Tesla does not contact you about any changes to delivery dates - or even being assigned a VIN. Check the app at intervals. For some, that means every few minutes. For others, every couple days. Certainly make sure that you don't have any pending work items related to financing, trade-ins, etc. that would delay the Tesla process.
I see this “2 week window” term a lot on reddit. When someone is given an EDD that is two weeks what exactly does that mean ? I take it as a good thing, but haven't seen an explanation.
A two week window is usually a precursor to getting a VIN. Two week windows aren't usually handed out unless Tesla is getting serious about building your vehicle. There have been people who have seen spurious two-week windows where they just went back to a four-week window, but two-week windows are usually a good sign. @T-J- is our poster child for EDD teases. He's been on two-week watch for a while now, with Tesla repeatedly giving him two-week windows that keep moving around. I believe that's a significant exception to the normal pattern. I had one four-week window, then one two-week window, then a VIN just prior to the start of the two-week window. But that was before Russia invaded, which really messed things up.

I am kind of getting tired of the whole charger rant.

Let me breakdown a few things.
1) It is not confirmed earlier orders will not get charger. It is pure speculations.
2) Chargers are usually out of stock due to material shortage and can potentially delay deliveries.
3) People dont have statistics and cannot assume that 110 out of 100 people use the charger.
4) The charger moving forward will be half the price and will include more connectors.
5) Let us all agree that after spending 60k on a car, and probably 1k on accesories like mats, and cup holders etc, not to mention ceramic and PPF for another 2-3k or so and 600-1k on electrician, people really arent going to cancel order for a 200$ item.
Some terminology to be clear:

1. A charger is a thing that delivers DC power to the battery pack. This is either a charging station like a Supercharger or the car's onboard charger which converts AC power to DC power so the car can use that.
2. A connector is the cable that delivers power to the car's charging port.
3. An adapter is a thing that allows one end or the other of a connector to plug into something. So the things that allow the Tesla connector to plug into a 110v or 220v AC source are adapters. In the other direction is a J1772 adapter, which allows a public charger's builtin connector to plug into a Tesla.

At home, an adapter on one end of the mobile connector plugs into the house's AC outlet while the other end of the connector plugs into the Tesla charging port. Inside the Tesla, the AC power is delivered to the onboard charger which converts it to DC power and that's what goes into the battery.

At a charging station, the station's builtin connector plugs into a J1772 adapter which plugs into the Tesla charging port. Inside the Tesla, the DC power from the charging station is delivered directly to the battery.

I will probably lose my cool so I apologize in advance to any Tesla worker I go off on if they try to not give me a way to charge my vehicle
Please just cancel then if you can't handle a minor change, SA's don't get paid enough to deal with that BS. Care to enlighten us why you're unable/unwilling to use the Supercharger network?

I hope that Tesla's decision to not provide chargers are just rumors and I hope the people that take delivery of their cars soon can let us waiting know one way or another. I'm one of those buyers that ordered their vehicle just over five weeks with only one EDD change so I'm not holding out hope to get a vin assignment anytime soon the way these cars are being assigned. Has anyone gone onto You Tube and looked up a You Tuber who posts flyovers of the Fremont plant. The videos are pretty cool to see how many vehicles are in the staging area before being loaded onto the big rigs for delivery. .

Please just cancel then if you can't handle a minor change, SA's don't get paid enough to deal with that BS. Care to enlighten us why you're unable/unwilling to use the Supercharger network?
Not everyone lives near the supercharger locations. The closest one for me is 28 miles away. So finding time to drive what will be at least 45 minutes each way to charge a car, is kinda inconvenient. If my point is to save money by going electric, having to “waste” 60 miles of travel just to charge is silly. Maybe just have some understanding for some others who don’t have easy access to supercharging locations and have planned to charge using the mobile charger. It is frustrating. (Also, this is a chat room, it is where people go to commiserate and vent frustration, I don’t believe the point is to take everything so literal.)😉

Is there anyone else picking up in the Sacramento Area?

Yes, picking up in Rocklin. Hang in there, trusting your original EDD seems to be the way to go until you hear otherwise.

Same as @Chris555.
It’s funny that all of us Sacramento pickups are Red exterior. Seems like you guys ordered a month before me, and your EDD is about a month earlier than me as well. Seems like CA deliveries are pretty predictable for the algorithm

Reactions: Junior86
Not everyone lives near the supercharger locations. The closest one for me is 28 miles away. So finding time to drive what will be at least 45 minutes each way to charge a car, is kinda inconvenient. If my point is to save money by going electric, having to “waste” 60 miles of travel just to charge is silly. Maybe just have some understanding for some others who don’t have easy access to supercharging locations and have planned to charge using the mobile charger. It is frustrating. (Also, this is a chat room, it is where people go to commiserate and vent frustration, I don’t believe the point is to take everything so literal.)😉
The mobile charger is for when you're "mobile", not to save a few bucks on home charging. I understand you, but I did not expect to see so many cheap people in here trying not to buy a wall charger (in stock!) after purchasing a $60k car.

And yes, that guy is definitely going to rage at an SA about this, which is what I find ridiculous.

The mobile charger is for when you're "mobile", not to save a few bucks on home charging. I understand you, but I did not expect to see so many cheap people in here trying not to buy a wall charger (in stock!) after purchasing a $60k car.

And yes, that guy is definitely going to rage at an SA about this, which is what I find ridiculous.

Some of us have circumstances that don't currently work with these assumptions. For example, I'm currently in a townhome where getting a wall charger installed isn't feasible (but a 110v outlet is readily available today). My plan is to rely on the mobile connector for my current occasional day-to-day use, superchargers for trips, and eventually move and get a better charging setup.

The biggest concern related to this change is the poor communication about what this means for current orders, followed closely by the tesla website showing the mobile connector is out of stock. Like the poster you replied to, my nearest supercharger is about 30 miles away, so that's not a practical option.

While I agree with the place it seems Tesla is ending up (give the customer a choice when purchasing to let them decide if they want to have a mobile connector or not), the roll out of this change has been poor (primarily in ambiguous communication).