Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Robinhood's take on the earnings call.

Tesla shows up OG carmakers by crushing earnings with a delivery record, but China is complicating its future

Taking a break from Twitter... Between tweeting about buying Twitter, posting Shiba Inu memes, and hopping on Tesla's earnings call, Elon is having a busy month. Despite supply struggles and China’s Covid lockdowns, Tesla crushed earnings expectations yesterday.

Above and Elon'd: The electric-car leader reported that sales were up 81% from a year ago, while profit more than 7X'd. The stock spiked 5% after hours.

Tesla managed to deliver a record 310K cars last quarter, up from 308K the previous quarter. The Model 3 and Model Y (its least pricey models) made up nearly all deliveries.

It goes Elong way... Tesla emerged victorious from "an exceptionally difficult" quarter thanks to #versatility. Its software prowess allowed it to swap hard-to-find chips for ones that were less supply chain-ed. Others weren’t so lucky: while Tesla deliveries were up 70% from the year-ago quarter, OGs like GM and Toyota reported big sales declines because of parts shortages.

Showing up: Tesla nearly doubled deliveries last year, to 936K, and recently started shipping cars from its two new Gigafactories in Germany and Texas.
Catching up: Tesla’s production numbers are moving closer to being on par with traditional luxe carmakers like Mercedes and BMW. It’s already pulled ahead of Volvo and Subaru.

THE TAKEAWAY
China’s clouding the picture… for Tesla and for everyone. While some analysts think Tesla could sell 2M cars this year, China’s zero-Covid crackdown is complicating projections. Tesla had to halt production at its key Shanghai factory for weeks because of citywide lockdowns. Yesterday, Elon said “Shanghai’s coming back with a vengeance” (sleeping bags and all). But the plant’s closure is expected to knock 50K cars off this quarter’s output.

• Informative
Reactions: JB from the AZ
So it sounds likeI'm not alone. Someone tweet Elon!
Jeeps. Motorcycles. I'll add convertibles. The pattern that I see is that the vehicle is usually open. Waving through glass just doesn't seem to be a thing. I pass other Teslas all the time with the intent of a wave or a smile. They don't even see me. They're not looking. Teslas aren't 'participatory' vehicles like Jeeps, motorcycles and convertibles. They're not open and airy, connected to the world around them. They are traveling bubbles where we're told to keep the bubble closed for aerodynamic reasons.

I really miss driving around with the windows down or even the top down. There's no comparison between driving in an open and closed vehicle. In a closed vehicle, you focus on your own little world.

I was told the J1772 adapter comes with the car
It came with my mobile connector bundle in March, and is still listed as being part of that bundle in the store. I would expect any car ordered through April 17 to have it.
Tesla shows up OG carmakers by crushing earnings with a delivery record, but China is complicating its future
The celebration should be tempered by the fact that over $600 million of their revenues (and net) was regulatory credits sold to other companies. That's twice last quarter's credits. China, not being a democracy, will always be a wildcard. Xi Jinping is a Darth Vader and can alter deals at any time.

Reactions: jpaychek
It came with my mobile connector bundle in March, and is still listed as being part of that bundle in the store. I would expect any car ordered through April 17 to have it.
The shop still says, "This product comes standard with purchase of any Tesla vehicle." And it's not technically part of the mobile charging kit.

I have a feeling it (J1772) will continue to be included with all cars for the time being.

The celebration should be tempered by the fact that over $600 million of their revenues (and net) was regulatory credits sold to other companies. That's twice last quarter's credits. China, not being a democracy, will always be a wildcard. Xi Jinping is a Darth Vader and can alter deals at any time.

Exclude the credits and tesla still made 4.8B - that’s something to celebrate. That’s an improvement over Q4 profits of 4.6B (and all previous quarters obviously). And 30% automotive gross margins excl credits is insane for auto industry.

But I do agree that china is a wild card - change up the rules at any time and screw over tesla. But the reliance on china will diminish in a year or two when Texas and berlin ramps up and giga shanghai’s overall contribution to tesla production/sales diminishes from it’s current rate of over 50%

And it's not technically part of the mobile charging kit.
That's so weird. I had just looked at the store page to verify that it wasn't, and I'm sure it included the J1772 adapter. I was surprised to see it listed because it wasn't shown in the picture. I even had the page still up in my browser. I look at it now and it's not there. I'm losing my mind.

Edit: Aha! I'm not losing my mind. It looks like they just changed it this morning. If you look at eBay, you'll see older kits that had both the 110v and 220v adapters, and a more recent one with only the 110v. Both have J1772 adapters. They must have taken the J1772 adapter out of the kit so that they could say that the mobile connector is not included but the J1772 adapter is.

Tesla really needs to address this scalping crap. These eBay jokers are selling dozens of these mobile connector kits. The older kit with 110/220/J1772 can be had for $540.
Exclude the credits and tesla still made 4.8B - that’s something to celebrate. That’s an improvement over Q4 profits of 4.6B (and all previous quarters obviously). And 30% automotive gross margins excl credits is insane for auto industry.
No argument at all. Thus my choice of the term "temper". Tesla did well, and it definitely has remarkable margins.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jpaychek
Whelp, EDD #8 this morning. However, I'm not going to complain because it only moved from May 9 to May 11, and actually backed up on the backend from June 13 to June 8. Very strange EDD update, but I'm thinking it might be because it's accurate.
Anyone else get new EDD's?
Crazy how many EDD's you have so far lol. My OD is a day after you, and have only had one EDD change, which was yesterday during the pushbacks :(

Reactions: T-J-
I was feeling sorry for myself this morning when my wife reminded me that a friend of ours ordered a Hyundai Santa Fe in December and is still waiting for it. A Santa Fe! It would be a cold day in hell before I wait 5 months for a Hyundai Santa Fe.
Really? I can find at least 75-100 new Hyundai Sante Fe's within a 50 mile radius of me. All different trim levels and everything. What is so special about a Santa Fe that they needed to order one?

Really? I can find at least 75-100 new Hyundai Sante Fe's within a 50 mile radius of me. All different trim levels and everything. What is so special about a Santa Fe that they needed to order one?
When I was cross shopping Hyundai EVs, the dealer in Austin told me they only had 4-5 total cars in inventory TOTAL. I clarified and he said all models. No EVs. 4-6 month wait. This was in Austin early March.