Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally ordered my car as a lease. Thinking about switching to finance thru my Credit Union. They currently have 2.39% with a .25% deduction via AutoPay. For those who have switched payment methods, was it a big deal? Did your EDD change?

And for those who picked up their car while financing thru someone other than Tesla, how easy was the process?

Thanks!
I don’t feel like Teslas lease numbers make sense even if you’re planning to get rid of it in 3 years. Especially because you can’t buy it out and you HAVE to return it to Tesla. You would come out ahead financing it and selling/trading it when the time comes.

Reactions: Junior86
Started the process with Carolina FCU and just got the "welcome" email. Looks like in about 5 business days I will be getting a packet in the snail mail with the next steps.

So if anyone is thinking about going with them, allow yourself around 5-7 business days leeway before you can even start the process.

Here is what is in the email:

"Welcome! You are just a few steps away from obtaining account membership with Carolina Cooperative Federal Credit Union. You will be receiving a packet in the mail that contains important documents that will need to be reviewed, completed, and returned. Instructions are included to help guide you through the paperwork. Your initial account opening is unavailable electronically, so please watch your USPS mail delivery for your packet.

If you are applying for a loan, it takes an average of 5 business days once your savings account is open with its deposit. With Carolina Cooperative FCU, you must have at least a savings account to be able to apply for any of our loan products. A copy of your valid driver’s license(required for auto loan applicants) or valid state issued ID is required for your account opening and must have the correct address where you currently live, or we must have address verification. Our lending options do not stop at auto loans. We also offer personal loans, Visa credit cards with exceptional rates, secured loans, and recreational vehicle loans!

We have some limitations regarding our lending platform. Due to tightened restrictions for out of state lenders in the state of New Jersey, we are unable to finance any type of auto loan and apologize for any inconvenience. If you are looking to refinance your current auto loan or are at your end of lease buy out time period, please note that we are only able to refinance auto loans for those who reside in North Carolina or its connecting states, and private vehicle sales are only obtainable within the state of North Carolina.

Once you have completed the documents in your account opening packet, if you wish to expedite the process, you may do so at your expense with the express courier of your choice.

We look forward to having you as one of our members."

This is after having to sign up for a year of the North Carolina Consumers Council for $20 to get a member number.

so far *knock on wood* the process hasn't been that painful. a bit confusing at times, but not painful.

I did the same and got the packet today. I haven't even looked through it but I did notice a list of things you need for an auto loan. It just seems like too much work to me. Maybe if you have average credit but with my score I usually have to do nothing more than a very simple application. With Carolina they want pay stubs, references, tax returns if you're self-employed, etc.

I'm going with my local credit union at 2.25% but just by opening the account online they ran a credit check and I wasn't happy about that. I meet with them tomorrow to do the auto loan.

I received a vin today- 238xxx with 28 miles, delivery to be scheduled this week. The 28 miles has me concerned that this particular car was rejected by someone else. Trying to get more details from T before I get too excited.
On a whim my wife and I drove over to the service center and found our car in line for prep. We spoke with a friendly prep guy who told us S or X arrive at the SC via truck and only have about 6 mi or so. M3 for Denver area arrive by rail, and are then driven to the SC, accounting for the 28mi. Ours does have the matrix headlights but is waiting on the charge door ecu (along with many others at the SC) so we'll see when we actually take delivery. Ours has Hankook Kinergy GT tires which I was not expecting.

M3LR/MSM/Black/Aero/No FSD/
OD 3/14, EDD 6/9-7/14
Patiently waiting and gradually accumulating accessories in anticipation for a June delivery. I saw some glass roof sunshades and wondered if anyone had any experience views on them in lieu of window tinting.

Got my 249xxx VIN today, and it has 15 miles on the odom

I also asked the SA about whether my car had matrix headlights and got a confusing response: "We'll do our best to provide the latest and greatest options we can offer. Due to part shortage we've been seeing vehicles with these headlights come in. Still an awesome vehicle. Congrats!"
Man they're strange fruit. They be trying to be all secretive like we're dealing drugs or something...shits annoying honestly. I got confirmation my car is here at my service center and I asked my SA what the hold up was and why does my EDD keep slipping by a day everyday and why can't I schedule an appt...is it because of the charging port ECU?

He said, "We are awaiting the vehicle to be prepared. We will notify you of the dates that work for us once we have completed preparations!" Like bro, stop being weird and just communicate...it's not that serious. This crap is a major turn off...🙄

Quick question for folk taking their delivery soon, or have already taken their delivery: Did your Service Center conduct a Virtual Express Delivery Orientation event to familiarize you with the Tesla? Got an invite from the folks at MT Kisco, and it seems like a very nice touch.
I'd never heard of a VEDO until your post. My text was along the lines of "Come down and get your car."
He said, "We are awaiting the vehicle to be prepared. We will notify you of the dates that work for us once we have completed preparations!" Like bro, stop being weird and just communicate...it's not that serious. This crap is a major turn off...🙄
He said that via text or voice? I'm trying to imagine someone saying those words to me without sounding like a robot.

I'm sure there's all the fine print etc etc, but they must be aware of what people expect. I wish Tesla was just more honest with these things, like send me an email that says look we're out of matrix headlights, sorry, we can either get you the car with older headlights and refund you the difference or you can wait a bit longer.

This is the way Tesla does things. They don’t have “Model Years” Where a cars configuration is locked down for at least a year. They change, add, update, delete chips, options, etc. This is pretty much known and appreciated for the most part. People order these cars months(sometimes years) ahead of time and you get what you get. If you get new stuff you are considered lucky, if not you can always reject the car and wait longer. But that’s how it goes, for better or worse.
I completely agree with Tom_JS. This is how Tesla “disrupted“ the auto industry for the better or worse.

And just to play the devil‘s advocate, it's not like they issued a fancy press release when they switched to the using the new matrix headlights or listed it as a feature on the website, nor did they increase the price because of it.

I get that we all want the latest and greatest, and have some degree of FOMO. But this is how Tesla operates and unfortunately we just have to accept it, especially in a time with so many supply issue constraints.

I originally ordered my car as a lease. Thinking about switching to finance thru my Credit Union. They currently have 2.39% with a .25% deduction via AutoPay (for 72 month financing). For those who have switched payment methods, was it a big deal? Did your EDD change?

And for those who picked up their car while financing thru someone other than Tesla, how easy was the process?

Thanks!
I switched from lease to finance. My SA guided me without hurting any of my EDD until discover a VIN. But It was in the beginning what happened to me. Just I would like to ask you to call your SA to switch your payment which is much more trustworthy.

I completely agree with Tom_JS. This is how Tesla “disrupted“ the auto industry for the better or worse.

And just to play the devil‘s advocate, it's not like they issued a fancy press release when they switched to the using the new matrix headlights or listed it as a feature on the website, nor did they increase the price because of it.

I get that we all want the latest and greatest, and have some degree of FOMO. But this is how Tesla operates and unfortunately we just have to accept it, especially in a time with so many supply issue constraints.
Yeah I don't disagree with the model of continuous improvements. I think it's awesome that you place an order and sometimes you get a little bonus like heated wipers and whatnot. It's not really FOMO either, I'm glad that the M3 keeps improving, it's them giving you old headlights when you were expecting matrix headlights without telling you. In the end it's not a huge issue imo, but like I'll remember it when I shop for a car again in the next few years or so. At least let your customers know when you make changes, why burn this goodwill for so little.

Have not posted enough to get signature privileges.
M3LR, white, black, aero, no FSD, Mt Kisco NY
OD 3/9, EDD 6/2 to 6/30
I will be on vacation 5/21 to 6/4, so I texted my SA to ask to arrange delivery before or after theses dates. Got a call back from Mt Kisco and the guy said I should put a "hold" on my order so I would not be scheduled for delivery during my vacation. He said I am allowed to hold the order up until June 7th which is 90 days from my OD. He said that was better than declining a VIN because I was unavailable for delivery. I see on the forum that there is a varying amount of time between VIN assignment and the delivery window, sometimes with a two-week gap between VIN and delivery. I'm wondering how to play this "hold" option in terms of timing beginning and end of the hold. I'm thinking I need to start the hold two weeks before my vacation to avoid getting a VIN that must be delivered during my time away. Anyone have experience putting a hold on delivery before getting a VIN. How did it go?

I did the same and got the packet today. I haven't even looked through it but I did notice a list of things you need for an auto loan. It just seems like too much work to me. Maybe if you have average credit but with my score I usually have to do nothing more than a very simple application. With Carolina they want pay stubs, references, tax returns if you're self-employed, etc.

I'm going with my local credit union at 2.25% but just by opening the account online they ran a credit check and I wasn't happy about that. I meet with them tomorrow to do the auto loan.
ouch! I think im still going to go with them since I don't want to be out the $20 for signing up for a north Carolina thing when I live in Indiana LOL. Taxes and W2's are easy for me to provide so I'm ok with that.

Quick question for folk taking their delivery soon, or have already taken their delivery:
Have you removed the FSD from your order, after selecting the delivery pickup date (because you are a little bummed that you will likely not be getting the matrix lights :))?

How do you get a SA contact? Do you need a vin? Lots of posts about people talking to them but how?
just call Tesla, or message the number you got confirmation from when you initially placed your order. Everyone has 1 or more SA. If you dont have one, one will be assigned. These are usually the folks from either the main office or the delivery location of your pickup. They can change during the order too, i.e during early stage could be someone from main office, and when VIN is assigned, could be someone from local Tesla Service Center.

As the official "Poster Child" of EDD's, I thought I'd let all of you know that I'm still holding at EDD #8 (May 11 - June 8).
No updates in some time.
No VIN in source code.
No contact from SA/Tesla.
Apparently one of the few late February OD's (Feb 23) without a two week window or VIN.
To be continued....
I’m sitting with an OD of 2/15 and a month long EDD a little after yours. Frustrating to see no positive bounce back. The matrix lights hurt, increasing interest rates hurt, this process hurts. You all are amazing. I’m about ready to tap with this becoming a worst investment daily.