Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any California peeps want to share time from Vin received to delivery? Running all the scenarios in my head…

To explain further as soon as I got my Vin I messaged my SA who set me up with a Friday 5pm appointment to pick up. He hasn’t answered my questions if that was him being proactive or if it truly will be Friday 5pm. Got my Vin yesterday just before 2pm.

A scatter plot isn't ideal to examine this, but here's one anyway. It looks to me like base models are delayed on average no more than 10-14 days, and that that's only on average. Any given base model order could easily be assigned a VIN faster than a given non-base model order. The longest delays for VINs are for base models, and they can be pretty long. There's that one guy who claimed he had to wait 170 days or so for his base model VIN.

View attachment 813634

We've heard this argument before, and I think it's completely off base. Tesla isn't scamming, pressuring or manipulating anyone. If you want a lower-spec car, order it. You'll get it. If you want a higher-spec car, order it. You'll get it. According to the scatterplot here, the person ordering the lower-spec car may well get their car before the person ordering the higher-spec car.

Edit: Horizontal axis is the day of order, and the vertical axis is the days spent waiting for a VIN
I think you misunderstood my comments. I never said Tesla was scamming people. Yes, anyone can order whatever level vehicle they want from Tesla and wait to get it. The problem is the lack of information given regarding the entire process. Yes we have both the app and SA's. As commented by many on this site the information from both the app or SA is not always consistent, accurate and/or can change based on who you talk to. As you stated the scatter plot is not really a good way to gauge the complexity of how many people ordered a base level vehicle and decided to upgrade their order to cut down on their extended wait. There have been plenty of examples on this site of people who change from SR to LR, or LR to Performance and suddently get a VIN within hours of upgrading their order. Some of them were waiting many months and others not as long because they decided to upgrade to increase their chances of pushing their delivery date up. Do people who order base level vehicles get their vehicles? Yes they do. I know various factors are involved in determining how quickly a person ordering a Telsa will get their vehicle; such as their location, order configuration, a vehicle becoming available because someone rejected or was not able to complete their order, etc. My issue is the random way Tesla fulfills orders. There is absolutely no consistentcy with how orders are fullfilled. Does Tesla prioritize higher spec vehicles? Yes they absolutely do. Does this encourage or makes some people upgrade their orders? Yes it absolutely does. Does Telsa have the right to priortize higer spec vehicles? Yes they do. Fulfilling orders based on order dates and not spec cofigerations makes more sense, especially as Tesla uses technology that can be added on and/or removed from any spec vehicle like FSD. Maybe you feel my opinion is off base because you were able to get your vehicle in a relatively short timeframe. I am basing my opinion on my personal experience and from reading comments on this site. I appreciate your point of vew and hope you appreciate mine.

Reactions: MxriderVet
Any California peeps want to share time from Vin received to delivery? Running all the scenarios in my head…

To explain further as soon as I got my Vin I messaged my SA who set me up with a Friday 5pm appointment to pick up. He hasn’t answered my questions if that was him being proactive or if it truly will be Friday 5pm. Got my Vin yesterday just before 2pm.
For myself, I received my VIN on Monday and had an option to schedule an appointment for delivery on Thu Jun 9th. I chose Saturday instead since I was hesitant on scheduling that early because i wanted to square away financing with my credit union first. I'm considering reaching out to my delivery location tomorrow and seeing if i can change my appointment to Thurs or Friday 😂, since i'm good to go with my loan.

Today was a week for me and I didn't get anything asking me to schedule the delivery but I'm guessing we'll get that soon.
for what its worth, i got the text saying it left the factory on the 31st. I never got a text to schedule delivery yet either. EDD is 06/12 - 06/16 with pick up in Atlanta. I messaged my SA yesterday 06/07 asking if they had any updates on its movement. All they messaged back was that its scheduled to be delivered to Atlanta-Decatur location on the 14th. I'm just a couple hours away from birmingham.

for what its worth, i got the text saying it left the factory on the 31st. I never got a text to schedule delivery yet either. EDD is 06/12 - 06/16 with pick up in Atlanta. I messaged my SA yesterday 06/07 asking if they had any updates on its movement. All they messaged back was that its scheduled to be delivered to Atlanta-Decatur location on the 14th. I'm just a couple hours away from birmingham.
Mine left 5/31 as well. Our cars could be travel buddies. I should hear back from my SA today so we'll see what they say.

Public Service Announcement

Click on a 'spoiler' to see the details of that section.

If you cannot see people's forum signatures, be sure that the "Show people's signatures with their messages" option in your profile Preferences is checked. If you watch the forum on your phone, you may also have to look at the forum in landscape (wide mode).

To access your preferences, click on your name at the top of the screen, then click on the figure with the gear, then click on "Preferences".
To access your signature, click on your name at the top of the screen, then click on the figure with the gear, then click on "Signature".

You may not have access to some or all of these options until you have enough posts in the forums. The requirement appears to be around five.

There are plenty of examples of how people have formatted their information, so feel free to use somebody else's format or to invent your own. Any information that you provide will help avoid people repeatedly asking for it (and the answer immediately getting lost in the flow of posts here). We tend to use the available information to try to spot trends, to set expectations for newer arrivals - and to commiserate with the folks who have been waiting the longest.

This is a central repository of volunteered information that people use to get a sense of current orders as well as the history of ordering Model 3s.

Wiki - Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

Ordering FAQ

SA = Service Advisor. This is your contact with Tesla until you've taken delivery of your vehicle.
EDD = Estimated Delivery Date. It is important to understand that this is only an approximation, not a exact prediction.
FSD = Full Self Driving. This is an optional feature of the vehicle.
VIN = Vehicle Identification Number. This is a unique identification number found on all Tesla vehicles.

1. You have an SA, even if you ordered online. Just reply to the text you got when you ordered (Welcome to the Tesla family....).
2. SAs exist to help with the order and delivery process. They won't tell you anything more than you can learn from the Tesla app.
3. Your first EDD is likely the most accurate. Frequent updates or a lack of updates are no indication of progress on your order.
4. If you make it into an EDD without a VIN, you'll get a new EDD on the second day of the current EDD.
5. EDDs occasionally jump out by months. These are glitches that usually correct within a week.
6. Expect to wait 100+ days for your car. There was a huge surge in order volume starting in March due to gas prices.
7. East coast deliveries happen in the first two months of a quarter. West coast happens in the last month of the quarter.
8. Occasionally, vehicles are delivered much earlier than expected because another person cancelled their order or refused the vehicle.
9. Orders with FSD do not currently receive priority.
10. There are two headlight types; premium and matrix. There is currently no guarantee as to which will be installed on any given vehicle.
11. Ryzen chips, double pane front glass, and lithium ion 12V batteries are standard on all vehicles.

Fulfilling orders based on order dates and not spec [configurations] makes more sense
From a customer standpoint, yes. From Tesla's standpoint, no. I believe I've said the exact same things that you have said, and I still agree with every one of them. I'm simply presenting Tesla's standpoint because they aren't here to say anything. Without any tempering voice, I think we'd be breaking out the pitchforks pretty quickly. Tesla is still in survival mode. They have to watch their bottom line, build the war chest, and be ready for economic recessions, wars in Europe, pandemics, legislative actions and other crazy events that could completely derail their mission to put BEVs on the roads. Could they do that by building cars first-come-first-served? I don't know, but I'm glad it's not my decision. The company has gone through a lot of crap to reach this point.

If they're still prioritizing their war chest above all else once they're established and everything is firing on all cylinders, that's when I'll break out my pitchfork.

According to the order spreadsheet, the average is 4 days in California (from March 2022), but a couple people were out at 13 days. As for the appointment, that Tesla employee's whole purpose in life is to get you a delivery date and time. If he starts yanking people's chains over that, he's going to quickly lose his job.

New York DMV says that 30% is the maximum.

Tinted windows

I'm surprised that 35% can be offered in the state. I guess inspection stations just don't care.
30% sunlight must pass through the window, meaning in NYS 70% is the darkest tint you can go with legally, which is basically nothing lol.

as for inspections, yes, most won't pass if any tint on the car. This day it's really knowing someone who will pass it.

Last edited: