Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not necessarily. Tesla seems to do cars in batches and thats how you are assigned VINS. So a person with a white/black car is in a different "line" then a person with a white/white car. MSM and white are the two most common colors so the lines for them are longer. It doesn't really seem to effect EDD too much but a rarer combination might (key word might) get you the car slightly sooner.
I also want to add that you also need to consider east and west coast and region delivery in the above formula. In addition to shipping logistics. It's far more complex then what I made it sound like and without inside knowledge it's impossible to know exactly how tesla organizes their batches. I personally think they pick a region and make a batch of cars for that region pulling out the next order in each queue. There doesn't seem to be a secret sauce to getting your car faster. Color and interior are likely more important then wheels or software

Another 2 week push back with EDD now in Aug. Sitting at 94 days since order date and current estimate is showing max wait could be 133 days
I'm picking up from Raleigh as well, I'm currently at 85 days since ordering. My EDD is still accurate from when I ordered it seems. I'm sure we will start seeing things roll come mid/late July. I know there are a few other NC orders right around early April will be interesting to see when we start getting vins assigned.

Reactions: SJUNC
I also want to add that you also need to consider east and west coast and region delivery in the above formula. In addition to shipping logistics. It's far more complex then what I made it sound like and without inside knowledge it's impossible to know exactly how tesla organizes their batches. I personally think they pick a region and make a batch of cars for that region pulling out the next order in each queue. There doesn't seem to be a secret sauce to getting your car faster. Color and interior are likely more important then wheels or software
I worked in a car electroplating and paint factory years ago in the shipping department and we would run a single paint color, then they have to change out that paint to a new color. It’s pretty time consuming to do. I’m not certain if Tesla runs more than 1 color line at a time but they certainly don’t run all five at the same time. Elon has said the paint dept is where everything bottlenecks in the factory. I assume they run several thousand panels of 1 paint color, then switch out the paint. White and MSM are probably their biggest paint runs but there are also more of those on order. If you look at the flyover vids, you’ll see they’ll line up the M3’s (and other models too) in their respective holding lots according to the truck they’ll be loaded on to. The cars sit there until that truck comes to get them. So let’s say they run 1,000 MSM, then 1,000 white, then 500 blue, 500 black, 500 red (then they start over) going to the East Coast and assemble the rest of the car to match the specs ordered. When assembling they pull car parts, including painted panels, from available stock so when they run out of MSM parts before another run of MSM paint, they just assemble other colors until more MSM panels are run. But then the logistics of location come in and they might push some TX orders back from production (even though they ordered first) because they have more going to NY and can send more on the rail to NY all at the same time. That doesn’t take into account things like running out of white seats or 19” wheels before that truck is scheduled to leave for the rail yard and needing to push those orders back so they bump up someone else’s order that they do have available to fill up that truck.
I forgot to include that the assembly process is all run on 1, maybe 2 lines. They just pull the respective parts out of available stock and put the car together. That’s why you’ll see a white car roll out of the factory to the inspection area, then a red car, then 3 black cars, then an msm…not all 1 single color.

Last edited:
I’ve had plenty of cars with low profile tires- never had any issues. Most of the time people that damaged them don’t know how to drive. I have LR on order, but might swap to P. I’ve tried to convince myself that LR is the way to go, but I still have that “what if” itch.
That’s how I am. I know the LR is the sensible, practical, and better choice…but what if the M3P is more than its criticisms and this is my last chance to get one before the price skyrockets (making it less of a “value” than the competition)? As for the wheels, I understand that they may be fragile but I live in SoCal where the roads are generally good and the weather is always warm

I worked in a car electroplating and paint factory years ago in the shipping department and we would run a single paint color, then they have to change out that paint to a new color. It’s pretty time consuming to do. I’m not certain if Tesla runs more than 1 color line at a time but they certainly don’t run all five at the same time. Elon has said the paint dept is where everything bottlenecks in the factory. I assume they run several thousand panels of 1 paint color, then switch out the paint. White and MSM are probably their biggest paint runs but there are also more of those on order. If you look at the flyover vids, you’ll see they’ll line up the M3’s (and other models too) in their respective holding lots according to the truck they’ll be loaded on to. The cars sit there until that truck comes to get them. So let’s say they run 1,000 MSM, then 1,000 white, then 500 blue, 500 black, 500 red (then they start over) going to the East Coast and assemble the rest of the car to match the specs ordered. When assembling they pull car parts, including painted panels, from available stock so when they run out of MSM parts before another run of MSM paint, they just assemble other colors until more MSM panels are run. But then the logistics of location come in and they might push some TX orders back from production (even though they ordered first) because they have more going to NY and can send more on the rail to NY all at the same time. That doesn’t take into account things like running out of white seats or 19” wheels before that truck is scheduled to leave for the rail yard and needing to push those orders back so they bump up someone else’s order that they do have available to fill up that truck.
I forgot to include that the assembly process is all run on 1, maybe 2 lines. They just pull the respective parts out of available stock and put the car together. That’s why you’ll see a white car roll out of the factory to the inspection area, then a red car, then 3 black cars, then an msm…not all 1 single color.
That's what I was trying to say you just said it better :)

That’s how I am. I know the LR is the sensible, practical, and better choice…but what if the M3P is more than its criticisms and this is my last chance to get one before the price skyrockets (making it less of a “value” than the competition)? As for the wheels, I understand that they may be fragile but I live in SoCal where the roads are generally good and the weather is always warm
Go for it. It definitely seems like the P is more designed with Cali in mind

Reactions: Nfletcher
I worked in a car electroplating and paint factory years ago in the shipping department and we would run a single paint color, then they have to change out that paint to a new color.
Here's an interview with a former Tesla engineer who speaks about changes in the paint line (among many other things). He says that the Tesla paint line can change colors between consecutive cars without any real effort. The changeover process is not perfect. There is a small amount of material loss, and you can't just go between arbitrary colors. The engineer says that if you go from a red car to a white car, you're going to get some pink on the white car. He goes on to say that they would do batches of 6-10 cars. Tesla is just not a legacy automaker.

Here's an interview with a former Tesla engineer who speaks about changes in the paint line (among many other things). He says that the Tesla paint line can change colors between consecutive cars without any real effort. The changeover process is not perfect. There is a small amount of material loss, and you can't just go between arbitrary colors. The engineer says that if you go from a red car to a white car, you're going to get some pink on the white car. He goes on to say that they would do batches of 6-10 cars. Tesla is just not a legacy automaker.

That’s how most modern car factories work. Tesla is not doing anything revolutionary here.

Yeah I just watched where Tesla actually puts on the car panels to the frame and then sprays the entire car rather than do like we did back in the day and paint each individual panel, then assemble the panels on to car. That could account for Tesla’s crappy paint jobs where we inspected each panel after it was painted and discarded defective pieces instead of an entire half assembled car. It makes sense why Tesla sends out crap paint jobs and has them repaired by the local SC.

Yeah I just watched where Tesla actually puts on the car panels to the frame and then sprays the entire car rather than do like we did back in the day and paint each individual panel, then assemble the panels on to car. That could account for Tesla’s crappy paint jobs where we inspected each panel after it was painted and discarded defective pieces instead of an entire half assembled car. It makes sense why Tesla sends out crap paint jobs and has them repaired by the local SC.
Again, that’s how most manufacturers do it. All the metal is put on the car and it’s painted as one. Plastic like bumpers are usually painted separately or next to the car.

That’s not an excuse for the poor paint when other manufacturers can do it just fine. Just poor quality control on Teslas part.

Reactions: HeatherW22
So I’m new to the LR waiting room, I’ve been a RWD (SR+) order for a while. In fact, I ordered August 16th 2021 which means I’m well over the 300+ waiting mark. I recently upgraded to the LR in hopes of grabbing the car sooner. We shall see.
That is wild, that is such a long wait for a car. You should be in a better boat it seems most LR orders are around 90-120 days to delivery after ordering. I know a lot of east coast are sitting around 90-100 right now without VINs. Out of curiosity do you have an estimated delivery date yet?

Here’s a video of the BMW Munich plant for the i4 and Dingolfing for the iX. Not sure why people make it seem Tesla manufacturing is revolutionary and legacies are stuck in the Stone Age.

Body in white and doors/hood/trunk are all painted together. Many stages of quality control throughout the paint process.

Also note that not only can different colors be painted one after the other without stopping the line, but the line is mixed with completely different body styles and drivetrains and option packages. The i4 is mixed with ICE 3 series sedans and wagons. The iX in the video is flanked by 5 series sedans.

Tesla does not have that kind of flexibility and each line can only build one model…