Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the sr battery can be charged to 100% while the lr should really be at 90% or lower usually so technically range is very similar.
Its actually even more confusing, cause apparently some SR+/RWD have the LFP battery (which needs to be charged to 100% weekly or the BMS becomes too inaccurate), while others still have the NCA batteries similar to the LR/P (which to put it bluntly the lower the charge limit you can live with the better).

If you have the LFP battery your charge screen will look like this:
1661913821077.png
Note the lack of "Daily" and "Trip" labels, which instead are replaced with % labels.

NCA equipped Teslas have "Daily" and "Trip" labels:
1661914125946.png

Last edited:
What if you commute 200 miles a day? Should you charge the LR to 100% for those days commuting or just enough to make it back and recharge again to 90% for the next day commute?
To balance ease of use, peace of mind, simplicity, and ideal efficiency, you should charge to what you need with 50% as the balance point.

If you use 80% of your battery every day, you charge to 90% and drain to 10%.
Use 70%? Charge to 85% and drain to 15%.
Use 60%? Charge to 80% and drain to 20%.

The worst case isn't charging to 100% - it's charging to 100% and letting it sit there for days/weeks.

Been lurking here for a couple months learning about the M3 and studying everyone's delivery experiences. Test drove a M3LR in May and placed an order in blue/black, 18" aero, no FSD/EAP on 6/21. Original window was Sep-Nov, narrowed to late September to late October (can't remember the exact dates) shortly after ordering, then moved up to 9/3-10/8 after a couple weeks. Sunday I got the trade in text, even though I'm not trading. Then yesterday, I got my two week window, 9/7-9/21. No VIN yet. I'm located in Seattle, so it looks like I'll be part of the end-of-quarter west coast push.

It's getting real!

To balance ease of use, peace of mind, simplicity, and ideal efficiency, you should charge to what you need with 50% as the balance point.

The worst case isn't charging to 100% - it's charging to 100% and letting it sit there for days/weeks.
Thanks. I’ll keep this in mind.

I took delivery today of my White/Black with 19" sport wheels LR AWD. Order date was 5/25 and I had home delivery in Chandler, AZ.

Delivery went well and was so easy with them delivering the car to my house. Car was virtually flawless and looks awesome. Only a few small adjustments that I scheduled a service appt for - trunk slightly higher on drivers side, frunk is ever so slightly out of alignment, rear passenger door needs strike plate adjusted as it's difficult to close. The only one I'm really concerned about is the door closing. The other 2 are minor and I can live with it if they can't adjust them any better. More importantly, the paint looked perfect. I was really glad to see that! Interior had no issues that I could see.

VIN 342xxx, AMD Ryzen, matrix headlights, dual pain front windows, no mobile charger, no license plate frame, all as expected.

That's very good advice and I certainly avoid getting my battery into the extremes, but I wanted to balance it with the realization that these batteries are surprisingly durable. Do the above and keep your supercharger use down and you might lose only 8% after 100K miles. Go on lots of long road trips with liberal supercharger use and maybe one or two trips to the track and you're going to see as much as 12% loss after 100K miles.

Here's Tesla's FAQ on battery charging.

Home Charging - Frequently Asked Questions

Here's a chart (from 2020?) showing battery degradation of Model S/X packs (with the smaller 18650 cells). There are some real clunkers in there, losing 15% of their capacity in only 50K miles, but the average is more like 5-6% capacity loss after 100K miles, and there are standouts as well. I like the one that retained 97% of range after 170K miles.

If you're interested in hunting around for this sort of information, just Google "tesla battery degradation chart".

tesla-battery-degradation-data-points-chart.jpg

That's very good advice and I certainly avoid getting my battery into the extremes, but I wanted to balance it with the realization that these batteries are surprisingly durable. Do the above and keep your supercharger use down and you might lose only 8% after 100K miles. Go on lots of long road trips with liberal supercharger use and maybe one or two trips to the track and you're going to see as much as 12% loss after 100K miles.

Here's Tesla's FAQ on battery charging.

Home Charging - Frequently Asked Questions

Here's a chart (from 2020?) showing battery degradation of Model S/X packs (with the smaller 18650 cells). There are some real clunkers in there, losing 15% of their capacity in only 50K miles, but the average is more like 5-6% capacity loss after 100K miles, and there are standouts as well. I like the one that retained 97% of range after 170K miles.

If you're interested in hunting around for this sort of information, just Google "tesla battery degradation chart".

tesla-battery-degradation-data-points-chart.jpg
Right now commuting with a 2022 M3 RWD and after 10k miles I’m down to 268 miles from 272 miles. 4 miles loss. That’s charging daily to 100 at home. Only supercharged 4 times. I’ll be using the my M3 LR instead when it comes in.

Reactions: HeatherW22
Test drove a M3LR in May and placed an order in blue/black, 18" aero, no FSD/EAP on 6/21. Original window was Sep-Nov, narrowed to late September to late October (can't remember the exact dates) shortly after ordering, then moved up to 9/3-10/8 after a couple weeks. Sunday I got the trade in text, even though I'm not trading. Then yesterday, I got my two week window, 9/7-9/21. No VIN yet. I'm located in Seattle, so it looks like I'll be part of the end-of-quarter west coast push.

It's getting real!

I took delivery today of my White/Black with 19" sport wheels LR AWD. Order date was 5/25 and I had home delivery in Chandler, AZ.
Starting to empathize with others in this thread who get annoyed seeing later orders get sooner deliveries 😐

How much advance time do you typically get when your vehicle is going to be built & delivered to the dealer? SA told me 3-4 weeks. Heard others got 2-3 days.
To go from receiving a VIN to taking delivery, it depends on where you are. If the vehicle can be sent by truck from the Fremont factory to your delivery location (e.g. California, Colorado, etc), then you can be taking delivery within 3 days. If the vehicle has to be sent by rail to a hub city, then trucked to your delivery location (e.g. east of Utah), then it can take up to three weeks. Texas seems to be about 14 days. Note that there are no dealers involved with Tesla vehicles. The people at the delivery sites are Tesla employees.

Reactions: Evpowerdan
Right now commuting with a 2022 M3 RWD and after 10k miles I’m down to 268 miles from 272 miles. 4 miles loss. That’s charging daily to 100 at home. Only supercharged 4 times. I’ll be using the my M3 LR instead when it comes in.

Your car has a LFP main pack battery and is specifically advised by tesla to charge to 100% vs every other model which does not use that chemistry, and is not advised to do that on a regular basis.

You will not be (or you shouldnt anyway) charge a Model 3 long range / performance car to 100% daily. As for the rest of "why" if thats the question, I will point you to a 250+ page battery degradation thread to look through.

Your car has a LFP main pack battery and is specifically advised by tesla to charge to 100% vs every other model which does not use that chemistry, and is not advised to do that on a regular basis.

You will not be (or you shouldnt anyway) charge a Model 3 long range / performance car to 100% daily. As for the rest of "why" if thats the question, I will point you to a 250+ page battery degradation thread to look through.
How do you find type of battery and recommendations for charge %?

Noted. Thanks!

How do you find type of battery and recommendations for charge %?
The Model 3 Owner's Manual is the best source of official information. It has the following note under Charging > Charging Instructions > Charge Settings

If your vehicle is equipped with an LFP Battery, which you can determine by navigating to Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information, Tesla recommends you keep your charge limit to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also fully charge your vehicle to 100% at least once per week. See Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries for more information.

Reactions: Cho22