Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars headed to Jersey and Northeast DO NOT get unloaded from the auto rack trains and trucked in from Chicago. They ride the rails all the way to Jersey and get unloaded in North Jersey. At least that's the case as of now. My car is stuck in a rail yard in North Jersey with no way to get it to Princeton.
That's great information. Thanks. You can be sure that destinations south of New Jersey are also covered. I always wondered why my car was coming from New Jersey because that's not on the way from Chicago to northern Virginia. I just assumed that it was a refusal and had been reassigned to me.

I'm sorry your vehicle is stuck. "Delays in the rail yard" may also mean union issues. Specifically the guys who unload the autoracks.

That's great information. Thanks. You can be sure that destinations south of New Jersey are also covered. I always wondered why my car was coming from New Jersey because that's not on the way from Chicago to northern Virginia. I just assumed that it was a refusal and had been reassigned to me.

I'm sorry your vehicle is stuck. "Delays in the rail yard" may also mean union issues. Specifically the guys who unload the autoracks.
Thanks. After waiting almost 4 months, I was super excited to take delivery. I scheduled a vacation day from work and was all ready to go. Then I got the dreaded text the day before the car wasn't ready because it never made it. And then got it yet again, the next delivery date.
Not gonna lie, this delivery experience has soured my mood on the car, A LOT. Not necessarily the brand, but definitely my car. Buying a new car is supposed to be fun, and unfortunately it didn't work out for me that way. Keeping all my options open at this point. The car left Fremont approximately a month ago. I decided if it comes in anytime next week, I'll take delivery. If it goes beyond 9/10, I'll just refuse it and get the money back (eventually and hopefully) that I already paid as the loan down payment (my fault, as I mistakenly thought the delivery process would continue smoothly) and buy another vehicle eventually. My current vehicle is still OK. Being a commuter, my main motivation to buy a Tesla was the extremely high gas prices, which have since subsided. In May when I ordered, I was paying average $5.50+ for premium. I may go electric again, I might not. I'm also paying for insurance on the car as we speak, so that's all screwed up too. A certain percentage of sales or deliveries get fouled up and I unfortunately drew one of the short straws.

Took delivery today. Guess that means I graduated? Car was pretty much perfect. One paint chip repaired on the spot and a scuff was buffed out in one small area. Just back from a 380KM road trip and it went very well. Did notice some phantom braking with autopilot. Not sure what to do about that. Here's a pic I just took of it charging.

PXL_20220904_003648911.jpg

Did notice some phantom braking with autopilot. Not sure what to do about that.
Congratulations on the new car. I see you've got your home charging sorted out. Oh, and I particularly like the color.

The only thing that I've ever done about phantom braking is to make sure that nobody is ever tailgating me because if I phantom brake, there's going to be an accident. For phantom braking events that take place on regular trips (e.g. a commute), I just learn which lane to avoid and where.

Note that you'll also see aggressive braking if a car is crossing the road in front of you. There's no chance of you hitting the other car, but your Tesla will be extra safe - and try to hit the car behind you.

Ultimately, the only fix is going to be FSD Beta once they make that the basis of Autopilot. Elon is saying that they'll go to everyone in FSD Beta by the end of the year, but I figure that really means next spring. Then about 6-12 months later they just might switch everyone over to the FSD Beta software at whatever level of service they own. Until then, unwanted braking.

Reactions: Aellinsar
Congratulations on the new car. I see you've got your home charging sorted out. Oh, and I particularly like the color.

The only thing that I've ever done about phantom braking is to make sure that nobody is ever tailgating me because if I phantom brake, there's going to be an accident. For phantom braking events that take place on regular trips (e.g. a commute), I just learn which lane to avoid and where.

Note that you'll also see aggressive braking if a car is crossing the road in front of you. There's no chance of you hitting the other car, but your Tesla will be extra safe - and try to hit the car behind you.

Ultimately, the only fix is going to be FSD Beta once they make that the basis of Autopilot. Elon is saying that they'll go to everyone in FSD Beta by the end of the year, but I figure that really means next spring. Then about 6-12 months later they just might switch everyone over to the FSD Beta software at whatever level of service they own. Until then, unwanted braking.
So you don't think it could be an actual issue with my car worthy of a service appointment?

Finally took delivery and everything was flawless! OD 5/23 DD 9/3

Battery drained 55% day one, drove about 90 miles. This seemed a little off to me but possibly just because I've been flooring it frequently day one?
My battery drained about 30% per 180KM each way of the trip. This suggests approx 540KM total range which seems accurate. It was a beautiful sunny day and I wasn't pushing the car too hard.

Finally took delivery and everything was flawless! OD 5/23 DD 9/3

Battery drained 55% day one, drove about 90 miles. This seemed a little off to me but possibly just because I've been flooring it frequently day one?
Congratulations on the new car. Clearly you're having fun with it :)

Yes, flooring it is going to use a lot of charge.

To see what's going on in detail, go to the energy chart (the green icon at the bottom of the screen). It will show you a graph of your power draw in Wh/mi for the past 5, 15 or 30 miles. It will also give you an average for the charted period (on the left) and a projected range based on that average and your remaining battery charge (on the right). You'll see the huge spikes from flooring the pedal. When I took delivery of my car, the power graph already had a massive power draw on the chart, with it being maxed for a mile or so, then gradually coming back down to zero. It looked like it might have been a factory test.

Note that various Tesla vehicles have been hypermiled to get absurd levels of efficiency. Drop the speed and you gain hugely on range. I did a residential drive yesterday and saw 145 Wh/mi (560 miles on an 82 kWh pack). Hypermilers in a Model 3 saw 110 Wh/mi over a 600 mile run. And that was with a 66 kWh battery. At 25 mph the whole time. The car is absurdly efficient.

I currently have a 10 day window of Sept 16-26 how good of a chance do I have to get a VIN soon given that I see a lot of people are receiving theirs when they roughly hit a 2 week window?
As with the person who was asking about a Texas delivery, it takes about 2 weeks to get a vehicle to Ontario once the VIN has been assigned. With an EDD of September 16-26, that makes your VIN date September 2-12. If you don't see a VIN by the 12th, expect to be pushed into Q4. The exception here is that you could be offered a refused vehicle that's already at your delivery site at any time up to the end of the quarter.
Same exact window but in CA hopefully soon!!
In contrast, California needs only a few days to turn around from VIN to delivery, and most of that is probably preparation at the delivery site. Depending on where you are in California, you could see a VIN as late as the 23rd or so (to accommodate the 26th end date).