Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Omg I totally had new car excitement and didn’t even check if the headlights are global or premium. Now I’m sitting at home wondering what I have 😂
New-vs-old-Tesla-Model-3-headlights-scaled.jpeg

which ones do you have?
left would be matrix

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Just got back from the dealership! Car is great, very smooth pickup. No panel gaps I could see. Only thing was tiny scratch on the floor jam on the driver side but its only noticeable when getting in the car. NBD. Need to stop by my folks house to get some stuff and will do a full walkthru there. Quickly, car has matrix lights, no charger no license plate (already known). Full update to follow later. Thanks for being so supportive everyone :) (Oh and I subscribed to FSD, will hold off on acceleration boost until my bank account recovers but car is lightning right now)

Just got back from the dealership! Car is great, very smooth pickup. No panel gaps I could see. Only thing was tiny scratch on the floor jam on the driver side but its only noticeable when getting in the car. NBD. Need to stop by my folks house to get some stuff and will do a full walkthru there. Quickly, car has matrix lights, no charger no license plate (already known). Full update to follow later. Thanks for being so supportive everyone :) (Oh and I subscribed to FSD, will hold off on acceleration boost until my bank account recovers but car is lightning right now)
music to my ears. im really hoping there are no panel gaps or other issues when its time for me to pickup next week. it would just be so deflating to be this excited and then have an issue that cant be resolved on the spot. i have seen on here that build quality has improved a lot over the past couple years so fingers crossed my experience is as smooth as yours. the worst part is being so close but still not knowing exactly when i will be able to actually see the car lol

Reactions: ZZ118 and Zane Liu
congrats, i am sure this is really exciting. I also have a 350 VIN. If its not too much trouble when you post the update can you let us know if the car came with the matrix headlights and ryzen processor? I would guess given the similarity of our VINs and build specifications our cars should basically be production line twins lol
351XXX here, SA confirmed global (matrix) headlights and Ryzen processor. Yours should be the same

Congrats! What tires did you get?

I just emailed sales at Tesla about the mobile connector given I ordered back in June. Are people here recommending that I just cancel and reorder and that for sure is faster?
Well I can confirm I got mine in less than a week ordering last week. Kinda surprised some people still havent gotten theirs. As I stated before mine came from Tesla of Palo Alto, CA.

• Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4
Hi

So today is my graduation day. First off thank you for everyone on here for support, laughs and information. This is a great forum and a great place to learn all about Tesla. And let me say this I thought I knew everything and when it finally came time to get the drive I had no idea what I was doing. This car is 100% unlike anything else. This is going to be a long post but it will sum up everything I have observed today during my maiden voyage. For reference my old car was 21 years old and the brakes and power steering were completely shot. There are oil tankers with better handling. Also my headlights were two old cataracts and acceleration was 0 to 60 in about 15 secs if parts of the car didn't fall off first. That said I loved her and am sad to see her go. But wow is this car something else!

Ordering: Not going to spend to much time here as everyone knows what this is about. In hindsight the process is very good. The app is simple and intuitive. I understand the SAs and the frustration their job entails. While I was picking up my car a couple in front of me came in yelling because their EDD had been pushed back. I'm sure this is a common occurrence. All I can say is while this process is frustrating sometimes please be patient, your car will come and remember the SAs are real people.

Delivery: So now on to the delivery. Met with the SA and signed some basic paperwork. Then she asked me to pay. I politely asked her to show me the car first. No issue took me to the car, opened it up so I could see inside and walked away. Told me to come in when I was ready. I had brought a checklist but tbh I didn't use it. The car looked great. Checked the headlights first, matrix! Then looked for any scratches didn't see any on the outside. Checked inside too everything looked good. Panels looked good to the naked eye. I paid right there, and signed on the app. Went in got the keys and was all set. Afterwards I did notice a scratch on the bottom of the door jam on the inside where the door closes. It is what it is, might one day get a little touch up paint but you can only see it when you open the door and if you look down, which no one does so idc.

So I was done with the SA after about 10 minutes. Spent another 30 minutes or so getting the settings set up and looking over a few things. One note to use phone key, you have to open the app to pair, then open the car with a keycard, THEN place the keycard near the cup holders like you were going to start it. I didn't know that but they helped me. After that phone key worked perfect. Once you accept delivery, your app and webpage will change to a different layout and you will see all the features of the car. A couple of SAs walked around while I was there. Really nice just asking if I had any questions. Oh and car was topped off at 90% and they installed the front license plate (I asked them to). Michelin tires, ryzen processer. No mobile charger. All the usual to be expected.

First Drive: Holy crap was I scared. The regenerative brakes take some getting used to (still get used to) but they are great. Car took about 10 minutes to calibrate but then you need to park it to turn auto steer on. Car drove great, everything worked well. It was raining today. At first I was figuring out the wipers but soon they seem to have calibrated cause the auto wipers came on and worked perfectly. Car handles amazingly very tight on turn. Speed is amazing. You can feel this car just wants to go and you need to hold it back. A few seconds on the accelerator and you will be at 70mph so be very very careful. Its wonderfully easy to pass cars when needed. I will probably buy acceleration boost down the line (maybe a Christmas present?) but tbh its not needed. Nothing needs to be this fast and anything faster is jus insane. I cannot imagine what a S Plaid is like. I'm still working thru my settings but I think this was all on stock settings. Drove the car to my parents house to borrow their garage and install a few accessories. Will have to defer waxing until this weekend after work due to the rain. Also noticed another tiny swirl scratch but it buffed out. The I bought the FSD subscription package.....

FSD/Drive Home: Wow, amazing. Truly words can't describe this it is the future it is amazing. I don't care what the haters say no its not worth 15000$ but wow is it something. Can't believe this exists. So here is the truth about autopilot, auto lane, and navigate on autopilot. When you turn it on the car will tense up. You will feel the steering wheel and pedals kind of start to give you resistance. This is the car driving but it can be a little unnerving. The car wants you to gently play with it so it knows you are still there. If you pull the wheel hard the car will let go and give you control back immediately. People have said the car drives like a 16 year old. No this is not true. It drives better then you BUT that's what you're not realizing. The car can keep the lane with computer precision. You want to hit that windy turn early but the car knows how to do it much better. The car also is reading the road phenomenally well. It can sense when other cars are going to merge and apply the brakes instantly. Also lane change works incredibly well. Its going to take some getting used to but wow does it due highways splendidly. I'd highly recommend everyone just try the 200$ subscription at least for a month just to experience this technological marvel. I will be happy to answer more questions about this as I drive with it more. But tldr not worth 15k definitely worth 200$ to try it.

Misc: A few more things. You need to go thru your settings and opt in to most of the things. Like sentry mode, autosteer, dashcam etc. I'm going to play with the settings more when I have time as it will literally take 1-2hrs to really go thru everything. But just stock it is great. The trunk and frunk have a lot of room and the bay where the mobile charger used to be is very deep. Definitely buy a organizer for the two interior bins as they are very deep. The window sticker may be in the back seat of the car (as mine was). In NY you will get an inspection sticker, license plates and a temporary registration sticker. I put a stock license plate frame on the back and you can use the screws that come with the plate. And yes I tried the light show lol and its pretty cool. I also tried summon and it works great to back in and out. Haven't had a chance to try smart summon or park.

I will definitely stay around these forums to help anyone out as best I can. You have all been wonderful. I know officially pass my torch on to those of you still waiting. Your time will come soon and you will be grinning ear to ear.

One last thing, today's date in history is not lost on me especially as a native New Yorker. I wish everyone well and if anyone has been personally impacted by this day my thoughts are with you. It is a very happy day for me but I do understand that overall the day is a somber one.

Finally I am proud to present "The Blackjack"

Attachments

• 20220911_180651.jpg
    20220911_180651.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220911_180711.jpg
    20220911_180711.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220911_180824.jpg
    20220911_180824.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 60
Hi

So today is my graduation day. First off thank you for everyone on here for support, laughs and information. This is a great forum and a great place to learn all about Tesla. And let me say this I thought I knew everything and when it finally came time to get the drive I had no idea what I was doing. This car is 100% unlike anything else. This is going to be a long post but it will sum up everything I have observed today during my maiden voyage. For reference my old car was 21 years old and the brakes and power steering were completely shot. There are oil tankers with better handling. Also my headlights were two old cataracts and acceleration was 0 to 60 in about 15 secs if parts of the car didn't fall off first. That said I loved her and am sad to see her go. But wow is this car something else!

Ordering: Not going to spend to much time here as everyone knows what this is about. In hindsight the process is very good. The app is simple and intuitive. I understand the SAs and the frustration their job entails. While I was picking up my car a couple in front of me came in yelling because their EDD had been pushed back. I'm sure this is a common occurrence. All I can say is while this process is frustrating sometimes please be patient, your car will come and remember the SAs are real people.

Delivery: So now on to the delivery. Met with the SA and signed some basic paperwork. Then she asked me to pay. I politely asked her to show me the car first. No issue took me to the car, opened it up so I could see inside and walked away. Told me to come in when I was ready. I had brought a checklist but tbh I didn't use it. The car looked great. Checked the headlights first, matrix! Then looked for any scratches didn't see any on the outside. Checked inside too everything looked good. Panels looked good to the naked eye. I paid right there, and signed on the app. Went in got the keys and was all set. Afterwards I did notice a scratch on the bottom of the door jam on the inside where the door closes. It is what it is, might one day get a little touch up paint but you can only see it when you open the door and if you look down, which no one does so idc.

So I was done with the SA after about 10 minutes. Spent another 30 minutes or so getting the settings set up and looking over a few things. One note to use phone key, you have to open the app to pair, then open the car with a keycard, THEN place the keycard near the cup holders like you were going to start it. I didn't know that but they helped me. After that phone key worked perfect. Once you accept delivery, your app and webpage will change to a different layout and you will see all the features of the car. A couple of SAs walked around while I was there. Really nice just asking if I had any questions. Oh and car was topped off at 90% and they installed the front license plate (I asked them to). Michelin tires, ryzen processer. No mobile charger. All the usual to be expected.

First Drive: Holy crap was I scared. The regenerative brakes take some getting used to (still get used to) but they are great. Car took about 10 minutes to calibrate but then you need to park it to turn auto steer on. Car drove great, everything worked well. It was raining today. At first I was figuring out the wipers but soon they seem to have calibrated cause the auto wipers came on and worked perfectly. Car handles amazingly very tight on turn. Speed is amazing. You can feel this car just wants to go and you need to hold it back. A few seconds on the accelerator and you will be at 70mph so be very very careful. Its wonderfully easy to pass cars when needed. I will probably buy acceleration boost down the line (maybe a Christmas present?) but tbh its not needed. Nothing needs to be this fast and anything faster is jus insane. I cannot imagine what a S Plaid is like. I'm still working thru my settings but I think this was all on stock settings. Drove the car to my parents house to borrow their garage and install a few accessories. Will have to defer waxing until this weekend after work due to the rain. Also noticed another tiny swirl scratch but it buffed out. The I bought the FSD subscription package.....

FSD/Drive Home: Wow, amazing. Truly words can't describe this it is the future it is amazing. I don't care what the haters say no its not worth 15000$ but wow is it something. Can't believe this exists. So here is the truth about autopilot, auto lane, and navigate on autopilot. When you turn it on the car will tense up. You will feel the steering wheel and pedals kind of start to give you resistance. This is the car driving but it can be a little unnerving. The car wants you to gently play with it so it knows you are still there. If you pull the wheel hard the car will let go and give you control back immediately. People have said the car drives like a 16 year old. No this is not true. It drives better then you BUT that's what you're not realizing. The car can keep the lane with computer precision. You want to hit that windy turn early but the car knows how to do it much better. The car also is reading the road phenomenally well. It can sense when other cars are going to merge and apply the brakes instantly. Also lane change works incredibly well. Its going to take some getting used to but wow does it due highways splendidly. I'd highly recommend everyone just try the 200$ subscription at least for a month just to experience this technological marvel. I will be happy to answer more questions about this as I drive with it more. But tldr not worth 15k definitely worth 200$ to try it.

Misc: A few more things. You need to go thru your settings and opt in to most of the things. Like sentry mode, autosteer, dashcam etc. I'm going to play with the settings more when I have time as it will literally take 1-2hrs to really go thru everything. But just stock it is great. The trunk and frunk have a lot of room and the bay where the mobile charger used to be is very deep. Definitely buy a organizer for the two interior bins as they are very deep. The window sticker may be in the back seat of the car (as mine was). In NY you will get an inspection sticker, license plates and a temporary registration sticker. I put a stock license plate frame on the back and you can use the screws that come with the plate. And yes I tried the light show lol and its pretty cool. I also tried summon and it works great to back in and out. Haven't had a chance to try smart summon or park.

I will definitely stay around these forums to help anyone out as best I can. You have all been wonderful. I know officially pass my torch on to those of you still waiting. Your time will come soon and you will be grinning ear to ear.

One last thing, today's date in history is not lost on me especially as a native New Yorker. I wish everyone well and if anyone has been personally impacted by this day my thoughts are with you. It is a very happy day for me but I do understand that overall the day is a somber one.

Really appreciate the long and informative post! I’m really happy you finally got your car. It’s been a long journey but glad it’s over for you lol. Hopefully a few of us will graduate soon as well, although none of us waited as long as you lol. Good luck and enjoy your ride!

Hi

Congrats ZZ! All the Best.

Reactions: ZZ118
Hi

Congrats man. You definitely earned it. Don’t ditch the waiting room just yet!

Reactions: ZZ118
So today is my graduation day.
Congratulations! It really is a step into a new world, isn't it? You deserve as much thanks as you're giving because you've been a wonderful contributor here.
While I was picking up my car a couple in front of me came in yelling because their EDD had been pushed back.
Wow.
Nothing needs to be this fast and anything faster is jus insane
I completely agree. I hope BEVs get reigned in over time because we don't need teenagers driving these things. That said, it really helps to have that power when you need the car to be at a high speed quickly (e.g. poorly-designed onramps). That much power in a residential setting is idiotic. Hmmm. If the car knows the speed limit, then it could allow acceleration based on that. Currently at 5 mph in a 70 zone? Hey, max acceleration. Currently at 5 mph in a 25 zone? Nice and easy.
People have said the car drives like a 16 year old. No this is not true.
Okay, here's where we definitely disagree. A good driver should be smooth. One way of understanding 'smooth' is to be able to place a glass of water on the center console and spill as little as possible during a drive. That requires very smooth driving, which means using the width of the lane to keep lateral accelerations as low as possible. Said another way, avoid jerkiness. The Autopilot is horrible at this. I live on a windy 50 mph road and I don't use Autopilot there because it would destroy my tires. Also, it's fun to smoothly drive that windy road :)

Autopilot's automatic lane changes are jerky. The start of the lane change would definitely spill water.

Another example is how late the car is to brake when approaching stopped traffic. If I see that traffic ahead of me, I'm starting to back off on speed almost immediately. Just a slight amount, and let it build so that I never experience a quick change in acceleration. The Autopilot waits until it's about 5 car lengths out, then starts slowing abruptly. The glass wouldn't stand a chance.

The current Autopilot is definitely a nervous 16 year old. FSD Beta seems to be doing a better job from the videos I've seen, but I haven't experienced it myself. It may still be jerky. Certainly I've seen moments where it was obviously going to dump water on somebody.

Here's hoping that we see the FSD Beta by Christmas!

Another example is how late the car is to brake when approaching stopped traffic. If I see that traffic ahead of me, I'm starting to back off on speed almost immediately. Just a slight amount, and let it build so that I never experience a quick change in acceleration. The Autopilot waits until it's about 5 car lengths out, then starts slowing abruptly. The glass wouldn't stand a chance.
I totally agree here. I just have basic AP and the slowdown approach to stopped traffic is so abrupt that I am at the ready to mash the brake pedal because it feels like it may not stop in time. Same issue whether I have AP engaged or just TACC. I thought maybe FSD Beta was better at this, but sounds like it too needs some tweaks in this realm.

Wow.

I completely agree. I hope BEVs get reigned in over time because we don't need teenagers driving these things. That said, it really helps to have that power when you need the car to be at a high speed quickly (e.g. poorly-designed onramps). That much power in a residential setting is idiotic. Hmmm. If the car knows the speed limit, then it could allow acceleration based on that. Currently at 5 mph in a 70 zone? Hey, max acceleration. Currently at 5 mph in a 25 zone? Nice and easy.

Okay, here's where we definitely disagree. A good driver should be smooth. One way of understanding 'smooth' is to be able to place a glass of water on the center console and spill as little as possible during a drive. That requires very smooth driving, which means using the width of the lane to keep lateral accelerations as low as possible. Said another way, avoid jerkiness. The Autopilot is horrible at this. I live on a windy 50 mph road and I don't use Autopilot there because it would destroy my tires. Also, it's fun to smoothly drive that windy road :)
Yeah with regards to the SAs kinda makes me realize a bit more what they go thru on the end other. Customer service is hard and really there is nothing they can do until the car actually is made and VIN'd and even then not much more until the car actually arrives at their center. Tesla EDD on the app is great but I also think it makes people crazy(ier). Even at my most frustrated point I never would have thought to yell at someone like that.

Its going to be even scarier when the cybertruck comes and you have a multiton tank accelerating at 0 to 60mph in 2 sec down the street. And they already have the electric hummer that can do this. Parents need to really be careful and make sure they set the speed limiter in the car to like 60mph.

So with regards to FSD you probably are right. I'm still getting used to the car and regen braking so the car feels jerky even to me driving. I think I'm just blown away by the fact that we are debating how well FSD works. NOT if FSD will ever exist, not if it will ever be available to us unwashed masses. Think about how amazing it is that right now in the car sitting in all our driveways it is able to (for the most) part drive you from point A to B with little to no major human input. People keep taking shots at Tesla but tbh I think it is pure jealously. What this car can do today is mindblowing. Can you imagine where it will be in 10, 20 years?? I know you guys werent trashing it and maybe I was praising it a little too much. Yes lane changes are very jerky, first time I did I set autopilot I was on a turn and the car jerked hard thought it was going into the other lane. However I do know why it does this. It is trying to center itself in the lane and correct the human error before it. That said I agree it should do it smoother. No its not worth 15k but for 200/month cancel anytime certainly worth a go.

Reactions: Minotaur