Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But when do you anticipate the rumored refreshed Model 3 being available for delivery? 2024?

I suspect the refresh is in part being motivated by the fact that the Model 3 doesn't qualify for the anticipated EV Tax Credit. Even the Model 3 RWD would have issues qualifying since it uses a Chinese made cell that is assembled into a pack in Shanghai. I prefer the LFP battery pack since we are able to charge to 100% giving us 273 mi range. That is equivalent to a Model 3 LR charged to 80%. I would suspect they might decide to not use the LFP pack in the US so that it isn't penalized under the EV Tax Credit program. If that is true, I can see how a Model 3 RWD with the LFP pack might have a higher resale premium than a non-LFP refreshed M3.

So another way to look at is, Tesla is giving buyers of the '23 RWD the $3,750 value of the tax credit along with $1,000 worth of free supercharging miles. That is a pretty good deal that I won't expect to come around again.
I would not be so sure of these and other incentives coming around soon.
Competition is ramping up, Tesla stock way down due to recent actions of Musk.
I have never seen these cars available for immediate delivery before. We do not know why. Perhaps supply is catching up to demand.

They have the closed the books on LR3 custom orders for about 4-5 months now if I remember correctly so they have definitely been clearing a back log. Also the 2023 model doesn't feel fully "ready" yet since essentially it just took away USS without really adding anything. Rumors are coming around that hardware 4 may be in the works too. However I can also see the side that they are doing this because they will not qualify for the rebate and they want people to take orders now rather than cancel once the rebate comes out. There is definitely something coming soon though if they are giving away all this stuff to push delivery asap. One thing to be clear is tesla is not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. Likely something is coming soon that to Tesla is worth more than 4K$.

I'll post the link here but not many cars right now do qualify for the credit so I'm doubtful Tesla is terribly worried about the competition. Maybe this is a push to get their numbers up for end of the year stock reporting?

I would not be so sure of these and other incentives coming around soon.
Competition is ramping up, Tesla stock way down due to recent actions of Musk.
I have never seen these cars available for immediate delivery before. We do not know why. Perhaps supply is catching up to demand.
I've been in business a number of years, and one of the basic tenets to any business is to never take political positions. You are only due to alienate some of your customers. I can't for the life of me understand why the man child who runs Tesla doesn't get this. As they say Elon, "it's not rocket science".

Reactions: phishphan
They have the closed the books on LR3 custom orders for about 4-5 months now if I remember correctly so they have definitely been clearing a back log.
I've never believed that the vehicles listed as "existing inventory" were anything other than just another way to order a vehicle. I can find no media coverage stating that the Long Range lines were shut down. That involves sending people home and hoping that they'll come back when the lines start up again. I believe that the whole purpose of the "existing inventory" stuff was to give Tesla a demand lever. That lever was created to ensure that Tesla didn't have a backlog of the current Long Range trim going into 2023. They want to build only Long Range vehicles that qualify for the IRA tax credits. So they tried to get a hold on demand only to learn that they didn't need to limit demand but to boost it. So they fired up the incentives that we see. They'll only last to the end of the year and then Tesla will open up ordering again on January 1 for the IRA-qualified vehicle.

The cumulative drop in demand leading up to December may have been a lack of new orders, cancellations of existing orders, or a combination of the two. Regardless, Tesla didn't have enough orders for Long Range vehicles to keep the assembly lines running at the level they wanted.
I can't for the life of me understand why the man child who runs Tesla doesn't get this.
He has Asperger's Syndrome. I think he's self-diagnosed, but it's pretty obvious. He doesn't understand social interactions, which is just about perfect for making hash out of a social media company. As well-suited as he is to problems of logistics, finance and engineering, he is just as much unsuited to problems involving people. If he had any friends, they should have been jumping on him and trying to drag him back from buying Twitter.

And all of this makes it a perfect time to lease if you’re in need of a vehicle and feel a Tesla might suit you.

There is *never* a good time to lease a Tesla or any other car. By leasing, you're basically betting that you know more about the future of the company and the car's resale value than their entire department of top-notch analysts, and that you can somehow predict that the resale value will plummet faster than they could ever imagine.

That said, this is probably a good time to lease a Tesla.

I've never believed that the vehicles listed as "existing inventory" were anything other than just another way to order a vehicle. I can find no media coverage stating that the Long Range lines were shut down. That involves sending people home and hoping that they'll come back when the lines start up again. I believe that the whole purpose of the "existing inventory" stuff was to give Tesla a demand lever. That lever was created to ensure that Tesla didn't have a backlog of the current Long Range trim going into 2023. They want to build only Long Range vehicles that qualify for the IRA tax credits. So they tried to get a hold on demand only to learn that they didn't need to limit demand but to boost it. So they fired up the incentives that we see. They'll only last to the end of the year and then Tesla will open up ordering again on January 1 for the IRA-qualified vehicle.
I was saying how they closed "custom" orders which they did. The existing inventory does not let you full customize your order. On the rest yes i agree with you 100%

Picked up my m3lr on Thursday there, from Glasgow, was given the keys and told it was on the right. Now went outside to a sea of telas all covered in snow. Found mine after 5 mins and checked it out best I could. No issues that I could see. Got 40% charge at collection, charge to 80% at home. Makes me smile when driving when I need to pass something. Sound system is superb to my ears.

There is *never* a good time to lease a Tesla or any other car. By leasing, you're basically betting that you know more about the future of the company and the car's resale value than their entire department of top-notch analysts, and that you can somehow predict that the resale value will plummet faster than they could ever imagine.

That said, this is probably a good time to lease a Tesla.
No, I’m not betting anything about Tesla. I’m betting on advancements in EV technologies by the time I *need* another vehicle, in particular solid state batteries. I’m also betting that when I need a next vehicle I’ll be back to not needing two, as we do right now.

I’m also betting that the up front cost of leasing, which for me was $1750, plus the price of the lease , will be less than I’d spend on a financed car I won’t keep more than three years anyway, and that is REALLY easy math to figure out.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB47394
I've been in business a number of years, and one of the basic tenets to any business is to never take political positions. You are only due to alienate some of your customers. I can't for the life of me understand why the man child who runs Tesla doesn't get this. As they say Elon, "it's not rocket science".
I had to read your comment a few times and still not sure if you are referring to Twitter under the old management or Musk running Twitter now. Seems to apply equally to both.

Was that your intention?

I had to read your comment a few times and still not sure if you are referring to Twitter under the old management or Musk running Twitter now. Seems to apply equally to both.

Was that your intention?
I'm referring to Elon's conduct as CEO of Tesla. In case you haven't noticed stock has plummeted 60% so far this year, sales are down, and don't believe that it doesn't have anything to do with his actions and political statements at Twitter. Any responsible CEO, company, or corporation never wins by making political statements, because no matter what it always alienates some of your customers.

Gonna dip my toe in here. I think TSLA is down this year because he bought twitter and has been selling billions of his shares to support that purchase plus the perception that he is now spending too much time at twitter and not at Tesla. However, from what I've seen sales are not down this year, the semi was just released and supposedly the cyber truck is about to start production. Plus FSD just got released to all North American drivers and continues to improve. Overall I think Tesla is probably doing just fine and will rebound from this.

Yes I agree companies should not get political but Tesla/Elon is far from the only company making their political views public

Elon's behavior is certainly a drag on the stock, but it's unclear to me how much. The NASDAQ is down over 30% year to date, and the overall financial environment is a mess. Also, Tesla was enjoying monopoly power until at some point this year people woke up to the fact that other companies were building interesting BEVs. Tesla just isn't the golden child anymore and its stock isn't going straight to the moon. It's certainly the elephant in the room, but the wolves are coming.

The short interest on Tesla has been constant for a long time and I'm curious to see if it has moved as of December. The number should be out very soon.

As for FSD, it's a miracle of our age, but it's going to remain beta software for a while. It does not inspire confidence and it is an intrusive presence on the road. So it remains that anxious 16 year old kid on a learner's permit. Only people who have a soft spot for Tesla and the technology are going to let the thing drive their car. Just like a parent with a soft spot for their 16 year old child.

All that said, I expect Tesla to rebound as well, just like the rest of the economy. In the end, do you have faith in America or not?

Reactions: jpaychek and ZZ118
Gonna dip my toe in here. I think TSLA is down this year because he bought twitter and has been selling billions of his shares to support that purchase plus the perception that he is now spending too much time at twitter and not at Tesla. However, from what I've seen sales are not down this year, the semi was just released and supposedly the cyber truck is about to start production. Plus FSD just got released to all North American drivers and continues to improve. Overall I think Tesla is probably doing just fine and will rebound from this.

Yes I agree companies should not get political but Tesla/Elon is far from the only company making their political views public
It's not Tesla/Elon making political views public, it's Elon alone, and it's hurting Tesla. Just because other companies have made their political views public doesn't mean that it's a sound business practice. You have nothing to gain, and much to lose.

Reactions: ZZ118